3DCoat Forums

Dry brush

Rhino

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a 3D Coat equivalent to the Mudbox 'dry brush'?

Basically, it's a geometry-depth sensitive brush that only either, say, paints in crevices or along the top of ridges. To use it, you click to begin painting at a place on your model and move along an undulating (in height) surface, and depending on the brush's threshold, will only paint up or down to a certain height.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Do somebody know why painting on dents and bumps have no effect at all?   And where is old more/less on heights  now? 

What if I need to paint a flat wall with crumbled plaster layers  having crumbling parts intact, not just curvature edges ?    in a word something like trim brushes in Zbrush?

• Advanced Member

3DCoat's method for detecting cavities is superior to Mudbox's actually..

a ) It's not dependent on brush size, meaning; if you want to paint very tight cavities in Mudbox you need a very small brush size.  This can take foreger to fill a large object with small cavity painting.  In 3DCoat you can set the falloff independently from brush size.

b ) 3DCoat can detect cavities based on geometry detailing AND normal map details.  As far as I know Mudbox can't do this which is geometry based only.

• Reputable Contributor

Do somebody know why painting on dents and bumps have no effect at all?   And where is old more/less on heights  now? 

What if I need to paint a flat wall with crumbled plaster layers  having crumbling parts intact, not just curvature edges ?    in a word something like trim brushes in Zbrush?

It could be a number of things. Not having the currently selected layer visible. Not having the color channel enabled or your opacity value high enough. When I come across an issue like this, it's always something like that. So, I do a quick pre-flight checklist, of sorts, before I start painting. You can see in the videos that 3D Coat does indeed paint in the cavities or bumps....if your settings are correct.