3DCoat Forums

3dC 3 system requirements?

Minimal requirements are the same - Radeon 9200/FX 5500/GMA945, 128 Video RAM, 512 RAM, 1 GGz CPU

Optimal by price - NV 8600 (512) + 2 core CPU +2GB RAM

Optimal - NV 8800 and better, 4GB RAM, 4 core CPU

Thanks, Andrew, I've already got an 'optimal' system, except that I use an ATI Radeon 512mb HD 3670 vs. an NV8600. Would an NV8600 help in this case?

From trying out the Alpha, I have seen that 3dC gives far better performance than Mudbox2 for my system. I was using voxel modelling and doodling on a sphere and got arount 32 million triangles. Not too bad considering that MB2 only gave me around 1/2 that number.

Cheers

Doug

In a nutshell it allows the GPU (processor on the video card) to take over much of the calculations that the CPU would normally handle. Most of the stuff in that link goes over my head too, but in some ways the GPU is much faster than CPUs currently available.

In a nutshell it allows the GPU (processor on the video card) to take over much of the calculations that the CPU would normally handle. Most of the stuff in that link goes over my head too, but in some ways the GPU is much faster than CPUs currently available.

Oh-ok, I have of course heard of using the GPU as a co-processor. CUDA's basically just NVidias market speak for this idea then?

I should have said: "CUDA's basically just NVidias market speak for this implementation of the idea then?

Same as I said before, "I guess so". I don't really know a whole lot about it, just basically what I described in my "in a nutshell" post. All I really need to know right now is that it'll improve my working in 3DC and it uses the video cards I already have.