3DCoat Forums

Gbball's sketchbook

gbball

• Contributor

There is some very solid shapes in there, I'm not fond of the the general design (it feels as if the head was rushed and not really thought out to look cool or be functional), but some parts feel very good (namely the deltoid parts and those inbetween-knuckles part)

It looks very hard (rock-like ?) yet there some nice flow.Also now I understand why you wanted to keep the old over 100% vox brush behaviour :) I hope you get it back when presets are implemented.

You seem to have a very personal way of handling sculpting, I like your style it's uncommon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

There is some very solid shapes in there, I'm not fond of the the general design (it feels as if the head was rushed and not really thought out to look cool or be functional), but some parts feel very good (namely the deltoid parts and those inbetween-knuckles part)

It looks very hard (rock-like ?) yet there some nice flow.Also now I understand why you wanted to keep the old over 100% vox brush behaviour :) I hope you get it back when presets are implemented.

You seem to have a very personal way of handling sculpting, I like your style it's uncommon.

Thanks man,

You are right though, the head is not very functional...I still think it looks kind of cool though, what about it did you think could be better? As for the broken smooth brush, yeah, it was perfect for the bumps on his forearms.

-G

• Advanced Member

130397348695.jpg

Voxel experiment...

I wanted to try making a character where I just used boolean operations to cut away at a block. I ended up using the pose tool a bunch too.

The final result is a blend of my retopo mesh with a bit of painting combined with the original vox sculpt.

100% 3DC

-G

• Contributor

High five for whatever surface brush +smooth for sculpting everything ! Smooth is definetely the most polyvalent surfacing asset in 3dcoat...

And nice sculpts, still this cool clean style going :)

(for your monster head, I would have hinted the jaw structure more, how it folds especialy on the central cut, a few "jaw fingers" could help)

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hey everyone,

It's been a super long time since I posted anything here. I've taken a bit of a break from sculpting to try to hone my design skills. Anyways, I couldn't stay away for too long. I've been slowly working away at this guy for quite some time. It's finally at a stage where I think it's close to being done. I plan to rig him up so that his stomach can open like in the drawing.

Comments and Crits are welcome!

Cheers,

Gavin

post-3280-0-54143900-1317641480_thumb.jp

post-3280-0-39332800-1317642470_thumb.jp

post-3280-0-40726200-1317642459_thumb.jp

post-3280-0-25821600-1317642461_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

I like it, But id prefer less harsh muscle definition, more like the Concept.

Thanks,

You mean in the back and arms? I did those with a bit more anatomy than the rest.

-G

• Reputable Contributor

I like it :good:...and think it will look good either way, once you get it into a 3D App, with a proper Skin shader and SSS, specular highlights, etc...and of course good lighting. I'd like to see the final render when you get around to it.

• Advanced Member

That mouth belly is the raddest thing I have seen in a long time:)

Thanks man!

I just have to figure out how to accomplish something animatable that will have the same essence as the drawing!

-G

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

that's looking cool. pretty good translation of the 2D concept.

one thing you could add more detail to is the ear. not a lot, just a bit to get it closer to what's on the concept.

good to see you having the time for some 3D.

Hey Raden,

Good to see you on here. I see a couple other things that I'd like to revisit, like the legs and the size of his forehead...I'll probably make both a bit shorter. I'll also fix up the ear and re-post.

It's kind of fun to use primitives and the adjustment tools to quickly build characters.

I'd like to see what you would do with some of the new liveclay brushes and surface tools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Hey folks, it's been a while! I've been using 3D Coat a lot at work for previs on sets. None of my stuff makes it into the show since I'm a designer, but it's cool to use it nonetheless. My schedule keeps me really busy lately, but I try to find time to do a quick sculpt here and there.

I have to say the new builds of 3D coat (currently V4.15) are very responsive and the brushes have a great feel to them. I find the shader representation somewhat crisper looking aswell...might just be the custom shaders I created but I don't think so.

My current workflow is to start with a sphere and then use the grow brush to rough out my forms...when I'm getting in the ballpark it will soften all the details with Smooth All, then I sometimes reduce the polycount as low as I can and continue to tweak the biggest forms using the grow tool and the move tool. I often press smooth all, which I've mapped to a hotkey to work in some details then soften it all out.

As I start getting to a basic silhouette that I like, I will double my resolution which I find does a better job of retaining the forms as opposed to resampling. Then I will gradually start working in more structure with the grow tool and possibly scrape2 and mud2 brushes in surface mode. Then I go back to Voxel mode again. It sounds like a lot, but it's actually a pretty fast process. And very enjoyable too. It provides a remarkable sense of freedom.

Anyways, here is some new stuff that I've been working on, hope you like it!

post-3280-0-82850700-1367378011_thumb.jppost-3280-0-95999400-1367378015_thumb.jppost-3280-0-95753600-1367378612_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-09620100-1367378640_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-01723200-1367378643_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-46959900-1367379639_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-57253300-1367379641_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-60103900-1367379645_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-79534000-1367379648_thumb.pn

• Like 2

you work have a sense of shape equilibrium and well distributed weight, i like it

ty for sharing your workflow...

Curves

i like to know if you use sometimes curves to make a basic "skeleton" ?

ty

• Advanced Member

Hey Carlosa,

I do use curves a fair amount and sometimes the free form primitives aswell. I think I'll do a video showing my work flow. 3D coat is fundamentally different from other sculping programs and as a result it offers very different workflows. It's interesting to see how people work differently.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Kind of an older sculpt, been working on it for a little while now.  Have been pretty busy of late, but I'd like to try and finish it off.  Hopefully if I have the patience!

C&C appreciated. 

Regards,

Gballer.pngballer2.pngballer3.pngballer4.pngballer5.pngballer1.png

• Like 1