3DCoat Forums

Taros doodles

Taros

Hi all,

here is my first "serious" volumetric skulpting experiment. As soon as I've more time, I will post some more. About 45 minutes "doodling" around. Sculpted from default volume-sphere.

I love the new features... :)

I guess, the carve and build tools are not far from perfect. I've not experimented with higher resolutions... we will see.

Hope u like it.

Chris

Gorilla experiment:

post-955-1223925787_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanx. Just take a photo and begin to doodle, like me. I've placed the picture in another window and began to skulpt. It's a good way for training.

Another point:

I am very interested how good 3DC will be in details, espacially corners, wrinkles and things like that. At the moment the volume skulpting feels too "blubby". The model resolution will answer this, I guess.

Be creative

Chris

• Advanced Member

Yeah thats usually how i do it too. Recently aquired a second monitor which is great because now i can just open up some ref pics on that one. :)

Took your advice and started modelling something ive been wanting to model for a long time now (i find these guys so funny looking). No im not spoiling it you will have to check out my thread. ;)

On the resolution. Perhaps im stating the obvious here but you do know that with the "Inc Resolution" you can step up in resolution right? The only downside is you cant step back (yet).

Currently resolution is "fixed to worldspace" so resolution is dependant on the size of your model. Remember this if you import a basemesh to start with and want to start with a lower res (in which case you should scale it relatively small before converting it to voxels).

Cheers!

3dioot

Perhaps im stating the obvious here but you do know that with the "Inc Resolution" you can step up in resolution right?

Thanx, yes I know that. But my gorilla szene "say good bye" after the fourth increasing... too low mem, I guess. I have "only" 3 gigs, because of my WinXPpro 32 system.

Be creative

Chris

Bad news for me. :(

My gorilla project crashed while saving, today. I just pressed CTRL-S and "bang!" "Not enough memory" for saving... very bad, but that's the risks in alpha versions...

The "saved" file have 0 bytes now...

But I will start a new session when it is going to beta phase. Gorillas are so interesting animals.

Regards

Chris

• Advanced Member
Bad news for me. :(

My gorilla project crashed while saving, today. I just pressed CTRL-S and "bang!" "Not enough memory" for saving... very bad, but that's the risks in alpha versions...

The "saved" file have 0 bytes now...

But I will start a new session when it is going to beta phase. Gorillas are so interesting animals.

Regards

Chris

Awww... that's too bad. :(

And I believe the new born Gorillas will be stronger than his brother, and more stable as well.

akira.

• Advanced Member

Sorry to hear that. Its a shame but as you say a risk. I do a lot of incremental saves; im a bit paranoid in that way but have not had the misfortune to lose work yet. So far the alpha has been really stable for me. When I tried to push the default sphere to the 4th level today on my workstation at work it also said bye though. :lol: Im certain it will be improved. :)

On a sidenote this may be of importance for you too if your pushing resolution:

DirectX and big meshes bug

Keep up the doodles ;)

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Im glad to see you werent discouraged by your loss. Nice works! :)

I know how you feel about being addicted. I recently downloaded mudbox and while cool its much too slow on my system (smooth but slow) and i was allready missing the "voxel freedom" to do whatever you want without planning anything. Once 3dcoat gets feature complete (we got hiding in latest update: hurray!) where we can easily sculpt parts and merge and subtract at will there will be no comparison to the other sculpting apps. :D

3dioot

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

after a long break I've started my first idea again, to sculpt a gorilla. I hope I've the energy to finish it. I've to discipline me to do the details at the end...

The arms and the legs are not final... end it needs some proportional adjustments.

I've the feeling transforming modelparts needs a very fast PC...

Regards

Chris

post-955-1239813461_thumb.jpg

Do someone have a good tip to smooth up a model? My gorilla is on resolution level 2, but the model grows and the voxels, too. I love the scrape-tool to make the model cleaner. But is there a better and faster way?

Next time, I plan to use the 2D tools earlier, and the object tools, like the "curves" to define the base shape accurate. It is hard to build up a model from scratch if you are on a higher voxel level. Probably I need more discipline at the beginning and define the whole model as far as possible on a very early voxel-level, next time.

@Andrew: Is there no chance to build in voxel levels, where I can switch inbetween? I remember someone asked this already before.

Be creative

Chris

I am a little bit disappointed. If I try to increase the resolution of my gorilla model, 3DC crashes. The program says, I don't have enough virtual memory. So I've set the virtual memory to 6144 MBytes, my physical RAM is 3 Gigabytes. My operating system is Win XP pro 32 Bit.

The interesting point is, that 3DC detects only 4096 MBytes, and crashes nervertheless... every time. Is this a bug?

Is my only solution to move to a 64 bit system?

So I've stopped to work on my model... :(

Regards

Chris

Yes unfortunately. 32bit OSs are very limited in this regard. I can safely say once you start sculpting in a 64bit environment, the only thing limiting you then is the amount of RAM you have. :)

Yes unfortunately. 32bit OSs are very limited in this regard. I can safely say once you start sculpting in a 64bit environment, the only thing limiting you then is the amount of RAM you have. :)

So, then I will have to wait some months... This here is my daily workstation and I am living the sentence: "Never change a running system!". So my plan is to buy a new machine at the end of the year or if my money account says "ok", the earliest...

My plan is to buy a machine with two quad intel xeon processors and 8 GB RAM, dependent how mutch ram costs - then probably more memory.

Very bad for now. :(

Be creative

Chris

Hi folks.

My memory limit of 3 Gbytes...(!) let me not continue with skulpting, but I've started to retopo my model and plan to texture it later. The foots needs some adjustmets, too.

Following a wip.

Be creative

Chris

post-955-1240567623_thumb.jpg

post-955-1240567633_thumb.jpg

post-955-1240567643_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Hi folks.

My memory limit of 3 Gbytes...(!) let me not continue with skulpting, but I've started to retopo my model and plan to texture it later. The foots needs some adjustmets, too.

Following a wip.

Be creative

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm a nooby and have not taken up voxel sculpting yet but I am interested in your work flow. I gather that

1. you create the object with sculpting.

2. you retopo to get a mesh.

3. merge the mesh back into the scene?

4. create texture.

5. export texture

Does that look correct?

Gorgeous silver back, BTW!

Hi Chris, I'm a nooby and have not taken up voxel sculpting yet but I am interested in your work flow. I gather that

1. you create the object with sculpting.

2. you retopo to get a mesh.

3. merge the mesh back into the scene?

4. create texture.

5. export texture

Does that look correct?

Gorgeous silver back, BTW!

Absolutely correct workflow summary. :)

Before I paint the texture, I create uv-coordinates in 3DC. 3DC offers the possibility to do it automaticly, too. But I prefer the manual method. I could set the texture coordinates in Softimage, too, but 3DC offers good tools and I save time. Otherwise I must export the model and reimport it again for painting.

• 3 weeks later...

Alpha 83 CUDA: A current test to make sharp edges on objects.

I guess, the scrape tool is the better flatten tool... The flatten tool is currently too slow, and produces bugs.

post-955-1242323836_thumb.jpg

I'm a little curious Taros, are you running in the GL or Cuda version 3DCoat, i'm wondering if Cuda will have better performance ?

I realize the need to go to 64bit, i myself am on the journey to 64 bit, but as you mentioned why do it when you have a good running machine, for me i will by a an extra system, 64bit, for the explicit purpose of installing software such as 3DCoat, Photoshop, 3DS Max and so on. I want to keep the other pc for trialling software and maybe using as a render farm + general daily tasks :)