3DCoat Forums

Lock/Isolate object for painting ?

tibosenpai

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hi ! I'm new on this forum and on this software ! I'm a french animation student in India, and am looking forward to using 3d coat for texturing !

I'm having a problem, and I can't seem to get the answer anywhere on the web ..

I exported a selection set from Maya in .OBJ (it's a van, so I selected the wheels, bodywork, headlights etc.. and exported selection in OBJ)

It opens well in 3d coat but how can I isolate objects so that when I paint for example the van's bodywork, I don't accidentally paint the bumpers or anything ! There must be a way to lock the objects, so I can only paint on ONE object while the others remain intact around it ?

I see that "hide" option but the list it gives me doesn't even include all my objects, and I need an overview of all objects when I work... Same thing for the freeze option.

Can you help me ? Thanks in advance

• Contributor

When importing an object or in your case several together, the Import dialogue has a selection for "Import to Separate Instances" which well get each item a separate volume. You can also "Cut and Clone" your way to move objects to another volume.

Hi, welcome. :)

It sounds like you might be able to see all of the parts of your van separately from the Paint Objects panel. You can view that list from the menu Windows>Paint Objects. This is assuming that your van mesh is made from multiple mesh containers. I'm not sure if it would notice the selection sets, as I don't know if the OBJ format saves those.

Another way, is if you set materials in Maya, is to use the Surface Materials panel, you can lock and hide these as well. It's found under Windows>Surface Materials.

• Reputable Contributor

Also you can add to your arsenal Connective Picking of getting what you requested. Connective Picking is shown in the picture top menu.

As long the brush cursor in the center of the yellow brush ring does not go over another separate part of the model then no paint is applied on the other part of the model. This was a feature request added quite awhile ago because of the very reason you stated.

post-518-0-18409800-1422923429_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

As long as the brush cursor in the center of the yellow brush ring does not go over another separate part of the model then no paint is applied on the other part of the model.

Boy I still need to watch my grammer...

A correction to my post above.

Thanks you all for your quick answers !

But sadly I can't seem to make it work just yet !

-When I import an obj file I don't get a "separate instances" option, and I can't select more than one object to import

-I don't have that paint objects panel . I have the sub objects panels, but it only shows 5 objects/groups out of the OBJ

-I saw Connective picking but it is still easily going over unwanted surfaces.

Let me clarify a little bit ...

I have a van that I modeled with a high amount of details and props, of course I'm not expecting a software to take it all at once to texture, so I selected the "props free" van bodywork (which includes bumpers, headlights, rims etc) and exported that from Maya, which results in one .OBJ file. what I'm expecting from that is to obtain my van in 3dcoat, with all my different van-parts in sub-objects and being able to lock/hide them and paint freely !

But ! When I import that OBJ file to 3d coat, despise displaying it correctly, my sub objects panel does not seem to differentiate each part separatly, apart from like one tire and the naked bodywork, the rest is merged together under the group's name that I created in maya initially, and I cant open them in 3d coat... see by yourself :

noelshack ( dot )com/2015-06-1422956835-exapmle.jpg

So I tried to use the 3d coat app link that works really well, but for each object it creates a new UV set since I merge new objects in the scene !! I only need one UV set since I've layed out everything ..

I'm really struggling to expose my problem in simple terms, haha... please tell me if this is confused

Sorry,as I can't edit that earlier post, here is a new, more clarified one :

Thanks you all for your quick answers !

But sadly I can't seem to make it work just yet !

-When I import an obj file I don't get a "separate instances" option, and I can't select more than one object to import

-I don't have that paint objects panel . I have the sub objects panels, but it only shows 5 objects/groups out of the OBJ

-I saw Connective picking but it is still easily going over unwanted surfaces.

Let me clarify a little bit ...

I have a van that I modeled with a high amount of details and props, of course I'm not expecting a software to take it all at once to texture, so I selected the "props free" van bodywork (which includes bumpers, headlights, rims etc) and exported that from Maya, which results in one .OBJ file. what I'm expecting from that is to obtain my van in 3dcoat, with all my different van-parts in sub-objects and being able to lock/hide them and paint freely !

But ! When I import that OBJ file to 3d coat, despise displaying it correctly, my sub objects panel does not seem to differentiate each part separatly, apart from like one tire and the naked bodywork, the rest is merged together under the group's name that I created in maya initially, and I cant open them in 3d coat... see by yourself :

noelshack ( dot )com/2015-06-1422956835-exapmle.jpg

A solution to that is to ungroup everything in the maya file and then export everything in OBJ, but it seems to create a respective UV set to each object ! is it possible to have every object on a single UV set ? 

So I tried to use the 3d coat app link that works really well, but for each object it also creates a new UV set since I merge new objects in the scene !! and it ends up being very slow..

I'm really struggling to expose my problem in simple terms, haha... please tell me if this is confused

Yes I was looking in that section yesterday but... sorry maybe I'm stupid or I can't see what's in front of my eyes, but apart from selecting the different objects in the upper bar and tweak them I really can't seem to understand how to drag one UV set to another ... I tried to select some UVs in the uv preview of my bumpers, "copy uv" them and paste them back on the bodywork screen but nothing happens..

• Reputable Contributor

I would first recommend making a simple scene with only several objects, Test that so you can understand how Maya and 3DC function in exporting from Maya and importing to 3DC. Starting out on more complicated scene with many,many objects is harder. Once you figure out the correct workflow then you could apply it to your larger more complicated scene with many objects.

All the answers are based upon the information given so far.

Maya uses UV Shells and 3DC does not support them in a native fashion. When importing them into 3DC use import "UV tiles as uv sets" 3DC will internally place the shells on their own uv set but when you export the objects they will be placed back in the Maya shell format. A feature request for native support of UV tiles has been submitted.

Plus you did not say if your are importing for auto-mapping or using Maya uv shells.. Pictures of your this part of your workflow are very helpful. You did not say if your are importing the assets back into Maya for animation or to another program. which may or may not support Maya UV shells. Maybe you did not use any UV shells but want to create your own uv sets in 3DC for exporting the models which could be a different workflow from the current one you are using now... The answers to your questions become harder to answer as not enough of the entire workflow is given,.

Since I do not know how Maya sets up it materials or how it exports it obj file with many models / materials in it's UV shell fashion so that 3DC correctly sees them, I am no help there. When I run into problems, I always a test a more simple aspect of the problem to understand how different 3D applications function with each other hence the first advice I gave you.

post-518-0-35691600-1423159624_thumb.png

post-518-0-87709300-1423159650_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Hi, thank you for your answer. The import uv as tiles didnt change anything to my problem

I didnt want to confuse with too many details but I figured out a way to work

I'm importing each object separatly from maya into 3dc, painting it and then merge the texture maps together in photoshop after exporting all diffuse maps from 3dc

very heavy process for the computer as I need to have 3dc, maya and photoshop opened, so I delete geometry from the 3dc scene when the computer runs slow, keeping only the necessary objects to have a reference...

didnt succeed merging the uv's of several objects into one and only uv map, so this is the only solution to me, so far as I my knowledge of the software goes.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Go here, read my reply in the thread and watch the video tutorial by AbnRanger. It might not fit your workflow but you can pack multiple uv sets into just one uv set. 

The video explains how to move uv islands from one uv set to another and will gives you the basic understanding on how 3DC works with multiple uv sets.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17359

Edited by digman