3DCoat Forums

Robert's Sketchbook

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Nice work on your character and landscape!

I'm not sure you have too much polys on your landscape.

If you put a character on it and set the camera in order to

see through his eyes, you may found the landscape rather rough.

The colored version of your landscape looks really good though.

Can't wait to see more.

• Advanced Member

@Garagarape,

Yes, I know about the LOD tool in UDK, but UDK has an upper limit of the amount of poly's that it can import for one static mesh, and it's around 65k. Regardless, I know I can cut this down, as the collision mesh I did for this was at 15k quads. I can just use that or do another. I just didn't want to have to redo the texture work, but it's OK. It's all theory and practice, at this point. As I'm unemployed and looking for work, this is just keeping my skills up and practicing and staying busy.

I'll do a quick test without all the paint work to see how well this all works, before going much further.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Oh, all right. Yes of course, trying a lot of solutions for building ground is fine.

I never liked the UDK automatic ground. But I know it's quite powerful.

Yes, the texture work on your mountain scenery is great.

You surely can optimize the model without losing the texture work.

It will be fine if you manage to keep the hard edges on the top of the mounts

and reduce the polycount where volumes are rather flat.

May be in Maya with the poly-reduce tool (forgot the real name).

Good luck!

The shiny snow reflection is cool!

• Advanced Member

The really huge benefit here is the ability to do a whole level with caves, etc. This is something that is extremely cumbersome, troublesome, painful to do in UDK. It's something that many game and level designers cringe to think about doing in UDK. If nothing else, I've demonstrated to myself that landscapes can be done rather quickly in 3D Coat.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

OK, test verified. I can use the lower poly (15k) version of this or smaller, if I like and redo the textures. I managed to get a sub 65k (just under) version of my current model, without textures and push it into the UDK with a custom-built collision mesh. Works pretty well. This is going to be a good bit or work, but definitely worth the time, I think.

• Advanced Member

OK, edited to meet game requirements with plenty of room to spare. The texturing and resolution need work, but for now, this has been a good test and experience.

Landscape1_8x8_Ver2.jpg

Landscape1_8x8_Ver2_Solo.jpg

Edited by alvordr
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

This is a REALLY rough draft of a piece I'm working on. I was just going to do the bust, but then realized I have quite a few of those and need to do some full body work. This one needs a lot of work (E.g. the neck, the body, etc.), but I'm getting better at doing lips and noses and eyes now. It's wonderful to have such good inspiration from everyone else here. As always, I'm modeling from a sphere, so it's slow to get a body going, but it's fun to practice.

Male.jpg

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Still tons of work to be done all around, head, chest, body, not to mention the lack of legs and arms, etc. I worked on the stomach, back, shoulder, neck and pulled the belly button up a little.

Male_Ver2_3.jpg

Edited by alvordr

• 2 weeks later...