3DCoat Forums

How do you apply the image in the spline image tool?

Kev914

Go to solution Solved by Kev914,

I have an image that I saved as a png file from photoshop. It has transparent background. I want to apply it as a decal. I get the image looking the way I want it on my model but I don't see anyway to apply the image after I have it set. Even the help text doesn't say how you apply it. In the tutorial I watched, I think he hit enter, but enter doesn't work. The help tool tip says to hit ENTER to raise it  or CNTL+ ENTER to lower it, or something like that. But I don't see anyway to apply the image.

I am trying to apply the image to a blank layer. Not sure if that has any effect or not.

Thanks

I went and tried this in the earlier version of 4 that I have and it was pretty much the same. Although I did get the image to apply once, but I'm not sure how. I tried to apply another one after that, and it didn't apply. Also, once I hit enter in both versions, then it seems like I can't do anything else. I can click on things but nothing happens. The computer just dings at me. Even when I try to save. I couldn't even close the program. I was looking for a way to force the program to close, but the window covered everything. I finally hit the windows key and it took me to the screen with all the windows. I clicked on the desktop icon and it took me back to 3d-coat but the save dialog box was visible then so I was able to save at least. I re-opened the program and tried again and the same thing happened. I couldn't figure out how to apply the image and then nothing worked and I had to hit the windows key and go through that business again.

I looked at the tool tip again and it clearly does NOT say to hit ENTER to apply the image. It doesn't say anything at all on how to apply the image.

Hi!

I'm assuming you're trying to use a Smart Material? Here are a few notes that might help:

• Try using an image that doesn't have an alpha channel (if possible), the new Smart Materials don't handle alpha transparency very well
  • Make sure the Depth channel is turned on (the purple sphere icon on the top bar should have no "X" on it), or the other channels you're trying to use are on as well

If you can, could you take a screenshot or record a very short video of what you're trying to do? It would really help. Thanks!

Hi. Thanks for your response.

Let me begin by saying that I got this to work...by using another method. In the past, I would click on the image. A tool bar would open. I would size and move the image where I wanted and then paint it with the paint brush. Then close the tool bar and I was all done. What lead me to try another method was the fact that the transparency wasn't working. I was using a tiff file . Today, I saved the spiderman decal out as a png with transparency and it worked just the other half a doze times I did this.

Also, I was using the smart image. Are those the only images there are? Those are the only ones I see.

Today, I also tried the image spline tool with the png image. With the dialogue box opened, I plugged the image into all three "channels", even though I just wanted the color. Yesterday when I had the issues, I only put the image in the color channel and left the others empty. I checked the main tool bar and only the color was active. I set the opacity to 100% It was 212% (or something like that). Does that matter? When I had the image set using the spline image tool, I hit ENTER. This time everything didn't go out to lunch. However, when I closed the image tool bar, the only part of the spiderman image that got applied was his hands.

I was thinking another way I might be able to do this is....Add a layer. Click on the image and size and place it and then paint it on the layer and then, if it has the white background, then I could create a layer mask to mask out the background.

BTW, I saw Pilgway in your signature. Do you make those tutorial videos? I have been watching them. They are great!

I had a screen shot of the workspace right before I hit ENTER using the image spline tool, but I can't figure out how to paste it. I copied it to the clipboard, but then a dialogue opens that says because of my browser security settings, I can't paste directly. But nothing pastes into the box when I hit control+V.

Thanks, Kevin

• Solution

I thought of one more thing that may have caused some of the issues I had yesterday. I created a new layer. I kept wondering why it had a twistee next to it. I actually did the same thing today. And then I realized that what I had created was a group for layers and not a layer.

Hi Kevin!

I'm glad to hear  you got it working for you. I'm thinking maybe we should put a warning up on Group when someone tries to paint on it!

And yes, I am one of the tutorial makers. Thank you kindly about the tutorials, I appreciate it. :)

So it sounds like you're good to go now?