3DCoat Forums

Trees generator

Andrew Shpagin

Hi Andrew,

Firstly thanks for the support on resolving my key for 3D Coat.

OK Tree generator...Finally Ive found an easy to use ap that allows me to build relatively good low polycount trees that I can use as static meshes for games. Ive found the following issue which should be simple to resolve (I Hope).

System: Vista 32 bit (admin)

When you first install the app & export, it will create the .MTL with reference image files & object files. If you delete the content of that folder & the try & recreate the export the images & .MTL is NOT created. Subsequently if you create multiple variations from the same data whilst the .OBJH increments the .MTL remains static.

I did a reboot & had the same problems in case it was a memory issue, with no luck.

What I did find was that if you did a simple re-install over itself & then exported it created the required files.

I hope this helps :):good:

Mtl files are always same but the path to textures. So (possibly) I don't recereate them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I'm on the verge of purchasing 3d Coat and very interested in the 'tree generator' though I haven't seen any video examples of its use, is there any out there?

Could someone detail the process of creating a tree? Can you create shrubs as well?

Below is the kind of thing I'm looking for, this was from Xfrog

giantdogwood01.png

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I don't think tree generator is a part of 3DC, it's more like a easter egg for 3DC users.

For those who want to make a tree like xfrog or speedtree, there is an open source program for you:

http://ngplant.sourceforge.net

tutorial for using with blender:

http://www.blendernation.com/2008/05/18/tr...setup-tutorial/

FYI

akira.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, for your long standing thread. Real life trees are actually a major area of income for me. After many years of using simpler schematic representations, i splurged on Onyx tree generator... It is pretty good, mesh and spline based with fast generation, even works on Mac.... Not so cheap, but delivers on-time, without too much effort. It indirectly helps get me real life jobs, but not selling 3d directly, (forget that hard market place ;)

My interest is less for the expressed interests in a tree generator... Rather my very small vote would go for tools which help convert 2d textures from 2d pictures, directly into 3d meshes or solids. In that case, a person could better control tree shapes and also control final resolution. Conclude model with a "detailed surface mesh", which casts many shadow details or can be mapped with additional 2d graphics). Seems it should help game-industry people too, no? I think excessive pixel-voxel detail on branches and twigs does little for entertainment, IMHO. Personally, my interests are more towards multiple industries and varied purposes. I hope the generic approach to suggestions fits other users. my site- http://harmoniouspalette.com/ Bo

• Advanced Member
Is there a version of this for the Mac?
Hear hear! We'd really like to be able to use this on the Mac, and then it will really be available for all 3DC owners (the instructions don't work for Mac 3DC). If it can't be done for Mac, why not?

Thanks!

I appreciate the TreeGenerator, particularly for more background images, but for more foreground "hero trees" I have gone back to using Pawel Olas plugin for Lightwave. A bit more control on tree design and it generates "quads" not tris, and the geometry is connected at each branch. I would welcome an update to the TreesGenerator, but appreciate what it does currently.

Paul

This looks very cool, is there a way to get this working in linux?

Just thought I would add to my earlier comment, this .exe seems to work quite well in WINE under linux, however still a tad buggy, sure would be nice to have it native to linux, regardless, such a cool little bonus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I have tried this and like it. I think it will be great as part of the main program, maybe you could have some object designer windows with this sort of stuff to quickly make voxel models of different types. Other things which would work is a simple terrain generator and a character/human base designer. If there was a character base designer it would make it easier because you could just make a base you wanted and then start using the voxel tools etc right away. I was thinking a tree branch voxel brush/tool thing would be really cool also like the recent Toothpaste and Muscle tools but rather than going into the previous voxels it grows branches at randomized points. You could do it with otherways but that would be really fast and probably have nicer results. Anyway just a few quick ideas which hopefully are good :D

• Contributor

I have in plans to copy the functionality to regular 3DC because this topic seems to be very interesting to community. Just need a correspondent moment.

wow, thanks, Andrew...yahoo.gif ...that'll be great...will be anticipating the new addition. I can create what resembles a tree (with branches, knots n roots) with the spike n snake tools, but not the leaves...so this will be awesome !..and seriously, Andrew..if you decide to charge a fee for this extra luxury,,will be glad to pay the extra. just a thought, but u could make it a special ''option to buy'' upgrade package or something (like Vue does on their generators/packages..they range around 40 bucks to100 bucks) ...thanks again !...smile.gif

Wow, Thank you Andrew! This will be a godsend for a project I'm currently working on. What are your plans for the integration? Voxels, polys? Will the leaves be customizable? What about some preset system to save whole trees or reusable parts/branch levels, etc?

This app is getting better and better. I'm SO glad I purchased it :)

PS: I also wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee if you are considering that option.

• Contributor

I have tried this and like it. I think it will be great as part of the main program, maybe you could have some object designer windows with this sort of stuff to quickly make voxel models of different types. Other things which would work is a simple terrain generator and a character/human base designer. If there was a character base designer it would make it easier because you could just make a base you wanted and then start using the voxel tools etc right away. I was thinking a tree branch voxel brush/tool thing would be really cool also like the recent Toothpaste and Muscle tools but rather than going into the previous voxels it grows branches at randomized points. You could do it with otherways but that would be really fast and probably have nicer results. Anyway just a few quick ideas which hopefully are good :D

You can make your own 'bases' and save them as 3B files. There is alot of premade stuff that comes with 3DC.

• Advanced Member

The plugins SDK at the moment i think is export/import only stuff at the moment. I think more general plugins for generators, tools and which could extend the user interface would be a great idea. It would be great also to have user scripting stuff that some apps do also (edit/run in the actual program).

I would possibly pay for addon plugins depending on what it was if someone wanted to charge for the efforts/time spent making a plugin. I would prefer to pay for new addons/tools in the main program update costs though but Andrew didn't say anything about extra costs for this. I wouldn't want a marketplace system thing but im guessing the idea was to choose only what you need, that idea sounds ok and would help if you didn't want something that raised the package price up a lot as then it's optional.

• Advanced Member

You can make your own 'bases' and save them as 3B files. There is alot of premade stuff that comes with 3DC.

The idea would be to have some sort of mini poser type plugin thing to quickly make character base shapes. I said that as Andrew is thinking of adding the tree maker thing and it's like a mini app so that was a suggestion of something else you could make with a similar setup as well as the terrain thing and you could have many other simple shape/base designer tools like this also. I know you can make content to re-use already though and do that now, you could also make trees like that already but the general idea was for another plugin/designer thing. It would be more customizable that way also possibly if you could save presets as you could quickly change the form a lot if needed. :D

I have in plans to copy the functionality to regular 3DC because this topic seems to be very interesting to community. Just need a correspondent moment.

Very cool! I can't wait to see how you integrate this in 3DC. :) I'll have to cover it with a video once it's in.