3DCoat Forums

3d coat demo is badly crashing

Astral

im trying the demo of 3d coat caue i cant afford zbrush. however, this program is crashing very badly, like, if i load the head mesh, all the sudden my computer scrrens starts flashing little green and red artifacts, then my screen goes completely black. i don't know why. ati4850 win7 quadcore 3 gig ram but i want to like this program if only for the price vs zbrush.

• Advanced Member

Probably related to your hardware, i would guess it's a defect RAM chip. Is your PC overclocked?

Please check the following:

- Make sure you have 3D-Coat WITHOUT Cuda!

- Download WPrime 2 from here: http://www.wprime.net/Download/ and run the tests for a while (5-10 mins.).

PS: You can find the latest beta version of 3D-Coat here: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634

• Reputable Contributor

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&st=0

On this first page download the latest version that applies to the OS and video card you have. Since you have an ATI (non-CUDA), download the non CUDA version for Windows. When you merge an object in, watch the scaling (not too large on the grid) and don't increase the resolution too much, as 3GB won't buy you a lot of capability in voxels. Should be no problem if you keep the resolution down and don't have too complex of a scene. If you have 3GB's of RAM, Windows and other programs are likely soaking up about 1-2GBs before you ever fire 3D Coat up, on Windows 7. Mine has it using about 2.3 GB's with no programs running, if that tells you anything.

I wouldn't recommend Voxels for a system with less than 4-8GB's. You can paint and sculpt with Normal maps and Displacement maps in the Paint Room without a lot of memory, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

• Contributor

ON a more serious note AbnRanger said the right thing, but I've been surprised lately with the 3gb limit (trying 3.5.21 temporary in 32 bits) when importing a 28 millions polys scene without problem (but after a while, working on the scene tends to crash, remaining memory leaks or maybe more simply history pile eating the remaining memory ?)

To be honest I strongly advise to use an nvidia card with 3dcoat cuda makes the software much more practical...

• Reputable Contributor

One other thing you could do is get yourself a high performance flash (thumb) drive and plug it into a USB port, then enable it to be used for the Windows 7 "ReadyBoost" feature. It's not as fast as adding extra RAM, but it lets Windows dump a lot of data onto it for fast recall...essentially a fast pagefile/scratchdisk. It will help prevent a lot of OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS.

Not all thumb drives are fast enough to make much of a difference, so don't skimp...even the high performance ones are only about $30 or so. I have a Patriot XT 16GB one, and even with a 16GB RAM system, Windows uses that flash drive a LOT.

• Advanced Member

Windows does cache to physical RAM if possible, it caches even more if you have more RAM installed. If you have 3GB of RAM you can use up to 2GB for 3D-Coat, cached data is saved to disk then. I can only say that i can use 3D-Coat with 2GB without unforeseen problems or crashes.