3DCoat Forums

AJ's doodley doodles

ajz3d

• Contributor

Wow, thank you Silkroad. I'm not too happy about Mr. Blobby's model, but I hope I'll be able to mask its deficiencies in the final scene.

Anyway, the new Intuos Pro M (basically the renamed Intuos5 with wireless) has arrived and I can finally start drawing some textures for Mr. Blobby's scene. :yahoo:

I have to say that the difference in quality between the new Intuos and my old ancient relic when sculpting and drawing in 3D Coat is like night and day. There's no more jittering when I hoover near the tablet's surface and I have yet to observe the full pressure brush blobs at the end of each stroke that I experienced with Bamboo. Built-in WiFi connection works without any delays. The only thing I find crappy is the touch support which feels very crude and needs considerable pressure applied to the pad.

I don't know why I so stubbornly delayed this purchase for such a long time.

Edited by ajz3d

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I painted the scales with a gum brush over a seamless custom alpha texture.

However, I wonder if there's a better way of covering huge areas with seamless textures in the Voxel Room, because with the above I had to do it with three strokes interrupted by camera pan. This resulted in some visible seams in the details, which I more or less tried to hide. If you look carefully, you will spot them.

Feature cloning that Raul is developing might have greatly helped with the scales I believe (instead of doing them with the mask).

Edited by ajz3d

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

In order not to flood the challenge thread with minor updates, I thought I'll post them here.

Low detail officer's leather high boots, base model of Schirmmütze (peaked cap) and a few tweaks done to face.

Next stop: belt buckle and pistol holster (today, I hope). Then I can start to add details.

post-12523-0-22950800-1385472107_thumb.j

• Contributor

I spent a whole day creating accessories for the uniform, switching between Retopo and Voxel rooms like madman. The hardest part was to gather good reference material. I was very picky because I'd like this uniform to be as historically accurate as possible.

From missing things that are yet to be done, are: a cap pin, collar insignias (Litzen) and ribbon bars. Pockets aren't merged with a tunic yet which is probably quite apparent as they look like stickers. I will deal with them soon enough.

You might have noticed that clothing doesn't have any thickness. My idea is to keep it this way until I assure myself I'm completely done with key folds. It's easier to introduce corrections to a one-sided surface than to a thick double-sided carpet. ;) Plus, I like to be in a complete control over my work.

wip11_accessories1.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Thanks Aleksey.

Quick tip to all (some of you might already know this).

If you want to paint retopo Strokes with a Steady Stroke, switch to Paint Room or Voxel Room, activate Steady Stroke and switch back to Retopo Room to paint some nice curves.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Contributor

I resumed working on the duckfoot pistol from the 7th challenge today. Man, it's hard to come back to reality after three weeks of holidays.

I know I said I would model the pistol with subdivs, but I changed my mind and decided to sculpt it in 3D Coat as much as possible. I was always kind of afraid not to use external software for base 3D Coat's base meshes, but it turns out that working in 3DC from scratch is not as scary as I thought once one gets the hang of it. Especially when I don't plan to use subdivision surfaces as a retopo mesh. I'll go straight for a game mesh.

The problem I have with the pistol is that I'm not quite sure what parts should be made of what materials. The butt is made of wood for sure (like all of the guns from that period), but the triangular thing that holds all those barrels - that I'm not sure. It could be iron/steel or wood. And if it's metal, then how is it attached to the wooden butt? The only reference picture I have of this gun is black and white and I can't see a thing there. All surface of the gun seems to have the same specular reflections so maybe the pistol is wholly made of metal? Sheesh. :wacko:

There are also supposed to be some springs connecting the trigger with the cock and the frizzen with some fixed surface on the butt? I'm not sure where they're supposed to be yet. Oh how easier it would be to have a duckfoot flintlock pistol nearby. :D

Reference image:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/jpg/duckfoot3.jpg

Reference image I also use (despite picturing a different pistol):

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/jpg/brassduck.jpg

post-12523-0-08372600-1405884183_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Hey, thank you guys! :blush:

Another update. Completed barrels and some engravings on various objects. The only things remaining to do are a decorated clip that joins two innermost barrels and some missing screws here and there.

When I was sculpting layers in isolation mode, I didn't pay too much attention to overall polycount of the scene. Turns out it reached 97M! Ludicrous! I better decimate it before my computer explodes, ha ha! :rofl:

Nevertheless, it's good to know that 3DC is capable of working with such numbers.

wip7.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yeah, you should be able to get that down to a few million polys.  I've only taken it to about 56 million before I got scared and backed off.  Normally, I go no higher than a few million, max.

In the end I went down from 100 million to 27 million. A huge boost in performance with little-to-no quality loss. B)

Sculpture is completed. Time to move to retopo room.

Front:

wip_sculpture_front.jpg?dl=1

And side:

wip_sculpture_side.jpg?dl=1

• Like 2