3DCoat Forums

Beginner questions

MichaelC

I've been working through various simple tutorials such as the getting started rat and also a cartoon hat on youtube. At various points I find that my installation of version 4 doesn't behave as shown in the tutorial.

In particular I seem to be having trouble with various voxel tools such as Fill, Clay, Blob, Sphere, 2D-Paint and Plane, all of which draws sometimes bizarre rectangles rather than acting as a brush. I've spent over an hour poking around the UI trying to figure out a reason for this and yet wishing to follow the tutorial.

Another question relating to retopology, is there any way to delete those blue balls creating by Points-Faces? Also if anyone knows of any hard surface tutorials that would greatly be appreciated.

Mike

It sounds as if your resolution is not high enough. Try this, either click the grid-looking icon at the bottom of the VoxTree, the tool tip says "Increase the resolution of object" or right click your layer and pic Resample that will let you pick exactly what res you want.

The second one is easy. Just hover your mouse over the blue sphere, it turns white, then hit the delete key.

• Advanced Member

Yup , those little balls are usefull, but so annoying sometimes.You seem to sometimes have to chase the things around to make them turn white. I suspect you have to be at the same orientation as when you made it to turn them white , though I have not looked into this! We need a "Kill All Balls " button! =@

Thank you. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of those UV balls, at least not by playing around and experimenting. I've also solved my first problem - didn't realise there was a slide out menu when hovering over the brush icon at the top of the tools! Consequently certain tools were drawing boxes instead of acting as a brush. It's my own fault for trying to dive in and not read up first.

3d Coat is a very impressive and just begs be played around with unlike most 3d software.

• Advanced Member

Ctrl-Z is also a way to get rid of the uv balls, if you catch it right away.

That slide out over the brushes you found is the e-panel. It is really powerful and full of 3D-goodness. As you get more comfortable with the program, go back there and see what you can do with the brushes and the different settings in the e-panel. So much fun. Also, don't forget you try those e-panel settings while holding down the ctrl key. You can trim pieces right off an object.

I've also solved my first problem - didn't realise there was a slide out menu when hovering over the brush icon at the top of the tools!

Yes this is often referred to on the forums as the E-panel since you can also access it with the E key and it pops up at your mouse location.

• Advanced Member

Yep, additional points are a devil to get rid of if you don't do it straight away using CTRL+Z. However, and I have used this method before, you can set your CTRL+SHIFT menu to del poly. Then using the Points/Poly tool add two more points near the rouge point (to make a tris) and then use the CTRL+SHIFT to delete the poly. Point has now been removed.