3DCoat Forums

tweak room + paint room question

Amos

Hi there, 

I wanted to ask if there were a way add edges to your mesh in the tweak room? It seems like it should be there but I don't see it. I also was wondering if while you moved verts around, it relaxed that vert in your uvs to maintain their integrity so when you're back painting you don't have stretching. (though 3dc seems to compensate for that awesomely anyway)

Just two questions. Thanks all. 

• Reputable Contributor

I tried to answer this yesterday, but the 3D Coat forums seemed to be down much of the day/evening.

No, there are no construction/modeling capabilities in that particular room. It is essentially a basic set of sculpting and transform tools (but some are very useful...such as the gradient selection tools and drag points tool). You could export a copy of your model to your project folder > import it into the Retopo Room > make your modeling edits > Export the modified mesh back to your project folder. From there, you can go back to the Paint Room > FILE menu > IMPORT > REPLACE GEOMETRY. It should keep your layer structure intact, while replacing just the geometry. Just make sure that the UV's are essentially the same.

I know it seems a bit convoluted to have to do all this importing and exporting to and from the application...I agree, and this is something I asked Andrew about recently. Basically asking him to create an internal script that handled this for the user. Your scenario is one good example. The one I posed to him was going back into the Voxel Room to sculpt some additional details and with a click of a button (within the Retopo Room), having 3D Coat bake the changes to a Normal or Displacement map and add it among the paint layers in the Retopo Room.

Currently, one would have to manually bake to an external file, and import that into the Paint room. Needs an internal script to bypass the import/export and just move the asset to the desired Workspace/Room. If anyone else agrees with this, please e-mail Andrew about it...so, it's not just one man's request.