3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Axial Symmetry

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hey. I've seen several of the tutorials using the Axial tool, but it appears that there isn't a true Axial Symmetry function in 3DC. The minute I click on Axial, it duplicates the Voxel layer, instead of simply letting me sculpt on that one object/layer with radial symmetry. Am I missing something?

Try this experiment:

1. Start with a Voxel Primitive Cylinder (scale to 1/3 viewport size) - Press "Enter".

2. Use the "Merge" command with "On pen" and select a model from the "Models" tab - place it where you wish.

3. Choose the "Axial" tool - (you should see the duplicates distributed radially on the surface) - press "Enter" or "Apply".

Now, there does appear to be a bug - because 2 surface "sub-layers" have been created.

4. To workaround - "Right-Click" on the Voxel parent layer and choose "Merge subtree".

That oughtta do it.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Greg,

Thanks for the advice. My point is that rather than creating multiple instances of the entire model, it would be helpful to simply have radial symmetry work upon brushing. I know ZBrush and some other apps have this, and I do not know how difficult this would be to implement. I'm sure it's been requested before. This is how I see it:

Axial Tool - remains useful and necessary to created axial symmetry of a layer, utilizing instancing to optimize performance.

Radial/Axial Symmetry - completely different and works with brushes, the same way symmetry planes do.

Did you try unchecking the box in the tool parameters (for the Axial tool) called "MergeAxialAsInstances"? Then, all duplicates appear on one layer.

Also, you can brush a detail and make that appear as a radial element:

1. Choose the Build tool with a prominent Brush Alpha.

2. From the "E" panel, choose the "Stamp" modifier

3. Stamp the Brush Alpha, creating a detail - choose "Axial" and it will automatically duplicate in the 3D Viewport.

4. Press "Enter" or "Apply".

5. Everything happens on the original layer. No new instances are created.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Greg,

Yes, that option was unchecked, but again, I'm not trying to make multiple instances of the same whole object. I'm just trying to sculpt with radial symmetry.

As far as the other method you mentioned, I see that it works, but I wonder how I can control this. I got 4 radially symmetric bumps from one to appear. I go to do this with a different brush type, using Build and it doesn't know what to do. If this kind of symmetry can be applied AS I sculpt, I would have full control. If it can't be done, no worries. It wouldn't steer me away from 3DC. It's just something I've come to enjoy from other apps, like ZBrush.

Someone mentioned earlier, in another thread the same desire. They mentioned that if multiple symmetrical planes can be activated at once, this may give the desired effect. It would also allow for 2 planes of symmetry, instead of 1 or 3, which would give it even more flexibility.

• Contributor

Here are two useful videos involving cool workarounds for radial symmetry:

and also:

http://www.screencas...m/t/Qtv5i5kL5xu

Additionally, Raul started to develop radial symmetry, but did not yet complete it:

http://farsthary.wor...try-for-3dcoat/

• 1 year later...