3DCoat Forums

Standalone renderers

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

I have some experience with Blender Cycles but have been sneakily peeking at other standalone renderers recently. I just haven't been able to get 'into it' as a render engine. I think a big part of it is how long you have to play with nodes to get a relatively noisy picture, and the absence of a material library of any sort.

The majority of my work is generated for Unity based content, but it would be nice to start getting some decent still renders of the work too. I will also be rendering mainly things like muscle, skin, eyes and so forth

1. Are there any render packages that people find do and don't work well with 3Dcoat exports?

2. Of course this is CG and nothing is ever 'quick', but it would be nice to use a package that lets you experiment with end-results as soon as possible. I.e. it perhaps has a nice material library good-to-go for instance.

3. is the upcoming PBR with v4.5 going to be a good alternative?

4. if vertex painting in 3Dcoat, is it possible for external render packages to render this?

Anyway, please feel free to give me any and all of your thoughts on what you enjoy using.

Edited by arumiat

• Advanced Member

personally don't use it, since i like to make my own materials, and i use c4d for final output, but from what you described it looks like keyshot is what you need.

Edited by Aleksey
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

personally don't use it, since i like to make my own materials, and i use c4d for final output, but from what you described it looks like keyshot is what you need.

Agreed, Keyshot sounds like exactly what you're looking for.  Expensive though.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Do not count Blender Cycles out just yet...  Of course with Keyshot, you get what you pay for at 995 dollars for the HD version. You a great renderer with pre-loaded materials and Studio Scene Set Ups.

Now Blender:

You can download some studio setups at Blendswap.

Materials are the weak point. There are a few sites that have materials created for cycles you can download.

Rendering Vertex paint as easy as pie. Just one node... Attribute...

More simple renderings you do not need those sometimes overly complex cycles nodes setups that float about the net.

Picture shows a Studio light setup I downloaded.

Vertex painted model, appox 1,700,000 tris exported as Ply file. This model is shown in the first picture, no PBR setup since it is vertex painted, I used PBR materials though.

I added a glossy node to add a little shine.

Rendered using Cuda (200 cores) 500 samples= 4 minutes and 19 seconds by 1920 x 1080

If you use the PBR workflow then you can use a PBR shader that a Blender user created. Then it is just a matter of connecting texture nodes to that Shader.

post-518-0-91625700-1423863288_thumb.png

post-518-0-08760800-1423863323_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

This is a screenshot of the realtime keyshot preview, - took me less than 2 minutes of drag and drop to set up, and for full render, rendered at 1.5million vertices at 1024x768 in literally seconds.

post-38412-0-47699900-1423863604_thumb.j

I am very impressed.

That being said, your scene looks excellent too, and considering the price differential (!) I think I'd be an idiot not to explore Blender a little further first. Do you have a link to the studio light setup you used?

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I sent you a pm with the blend file.

Also you can pay for a Studio Scene Kit,  the regular or the Pro...

http://cgcookiemarkets.com/blender/?s=studio

This above site is part of CGCookie. A great site... Free tutorials and you can pay 18 buck a month to get a lot of training material if you so desire. I did for about 4 months then stopped. I will renew again when I want to learn some more indepth Blender stuff... Also tons of Blender tutorials on the net now.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/

I am not trying to convince you to use Blender but making you aware of things you might not know to help in your decision process.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

If you have a relatively recent and beefy Video card, I would highly suggest looking at Thea Render. It can use just CPU and has a really fast mode for that, as well, but it's about the only render I know that uses ALL your CPU power and graphic card to preview render and final Render (called Presto). It's fastest render I've seen thus far, and that is compared to VRay (2.4 with Intel Embree), finalRender 3.5 and Moskito (100%GPU), Mental Ray, iRay, and  has a lot of different render passes. Even came up with the first ever bucket rendering on the GPU, to help overcome Memory limitations on GPU's.

It has a pretty good material library, and a free IBL light studio. And it's pretty inexpensive compared to other competitors on the market. I'm pretty happy with it. Cycles in Blender makes  ton of sense, too, IMHO.

https://www.thearender.com/site/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Zo4BZGq-c#t=135

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I replaced the pillow in Digmans scene with the same model as previously and a simple diffuse & glossy for all the materials. Here is  775k verts rendered at 750 samples with Cycles bounces kept to a minimum. Took 1minute, which is very good. The studio setup makes all the difference...

post-38412-0-82999500-1423921984_thumb.j

Gah, for $995 it's very difficult to justify the outlay on Keyshot really. Additionally I can't find that it has native support for rendering vertex painted meshes, which would be a real shame. Only thing I'd say was Blender was very slow to navigate the viewport.

I'm going to check out a trial of Thea Render too.. I've got a GTX870M graphics card and i7. Interested to see how it does.

Thanks all!

Edited by arumiat
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I replaced the pillow in Digmans scene with the same model as previously and a simple diffuse & glossy for all the materials. Here is  775k verts rendered at 750 samples with Cycles bounces kept to a minimum. Took 1minute, which is very good. The studio setup makes all the difference...

attachicon.gif750cycles.JPG

Gah, for $995 it's very difficult to justify the outlay on Keyshot really. Additionally I can't find that it has native support for rendering vertex painted meshes, which would be a real shame. Only thing I'd say was Blender was very slow to navigate the viewport.

I'm going to check out a trial of Thea Render too.. I've got a GTX870M graphics card and i7. Interested to see how it does.

Thanks all!

Demo the Thea bundle for Blender, that way you can quickly jump back and forth between Cycles and Thea to compare rendering. It also provides it's own stand alone, which I find is very much like Lightwave's Layout.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheaRender/videos

Make sure to download > install the IBL HDR Studio pack and try it out. Makes scene setup super easy and fast.

http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13153

Extra assets like shaders/materials, XFrog plants, etc.

http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=111

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

This is a screenshot of the realtime keyshot preview, - took me less than 2 minutes of drag and drop to set up, and for full render, rendered at 1.5million vertices at 1024x768 in literally seconds.

attachicon.gifkeyshot.JPG

I am very impressed.

That being said, your scene looks excellent too, and considering the price differential (!) I think I'd be an idiot not to explore Blender a little further first. Do you have a link to the studio light setup you used?

Looking good.

• Like 1

If you like to test one more...

Guerilla Render is a production renderer for the animation and the VFX industries. It is developed in production, for productions.

Its free.

//sidenote

There is The Ptex branch of Blender, if any1 like to test.

Can download it at Graphicall.org

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using Cycles, may be like to take a look at LUXRENDER (The exporter plug-in for Blender 2.6x is called LuxBlend)

last version 1.4 looks very promising

LuxRender is a physically based and unbiased rendering engine. Based on state of the art algorithms, LuxRender simulates the flow of light according to physical equations, thus producing realistic images of photographic quality.

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger I couldn't get the Thea plugin working in Blender so I'm holding off testing Thea for now, but thanks for those tutorials, it does look very promising as you say, especially with the library setups they have available.

Carlosan are you using Luxrender with Blender 2.7x? Currently only looks as though the plugin is working for 2.6 ( although I'm right in thinking I can still download 2.6 builds to test with if I want?). From reading it sounds like a great engine, is there anything in particular you like about it?

T

The last version_1.4 is for 2.72A and above

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone#windows

im testing it, yes

its biased, im comparing it vs cycles... quality(noise) and velocity

Latest Stable Release (v1.4 31/01/2015) Version

Windows-op.png

Windows

Apple-op.png

Mac OSX

Linux-op.png

Linux