3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Applink Developer

Thanks Digital777. That was very fast. And I changed them all according your text. Now wiki is done. The script it's already in svn trunk but it takes some

time until it gets into official build. When it does I will update my first page here. Until then it's better to use the script provided here. Thanks for all testing

and support. Really glad that we were able to do this. :good:

• Advanced Member

You are an amazing person Kalle-Samuli Riihikoski. Thank you. :drinks:

I have a question though regarding applinks in general. I, being a modo user as well as a Blender user,

after using your Applink have a dream that those two apps might share this same type of synergy.

In your opinion do you think that this is something possible or just a pipe dream?

I ask this question in a theoretical sense, not in a definitive or suggestive sense.

Thanks again for your time and effort in this project,

P. Monk

• Applink Developer

You are an amazing person Kalle-Samuli Riihikoski. Thank you. :drinks:

I have a question though regarding applinks in general. I, being a modo user as well as a Blender user,

after using your Applink have a dream that those two apps might share this same type of synergy.

In your opinion do you think that this is something possible or just a pipe dream?

I ask this question in a theoretical sense, not in a definitive or suggestive sense.

Thanks again for your time and effort in this project,

P. Monk

It all depends of what kind of Api the 3d program has. I would think that Modo has already very solid API so

it should work quite well. I can see that there is already beta version out for modo. Written by Gwynne Reddick.

Niceee :good:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6945

• Applink Developer

Now the newest builds in http://www.graphicall.org/builds/ has the 3d-Coat applink support for all platforms if you want to test it out.

I updated the first video lesson 1 and it's maybe good if you check the wiki before using applink. The applink script itself hasen't been modified for while,

but Remember that you need to manually turn relative paths off again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Glad to hear. I'm afraid that I have to make some quite big changes into script. In the latest graphicalls version the script doesn't work as well it used to be.

I hope I can find magic button again. I will wait a while before updating the script again. I start to be quite tired to change it everytime when they changes

blender API. Don't touch it anymore :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Happy new year everyone!

Script is updated. This should work with the latest trunk version. But there is changes in workflow.

-Now you only select your object folder. (You don't write object.obj part anymore). The script takes object's name from blender.

The path is created like this: object folder + objects name + ".obj". I had to do this to make the script work in blender.

I have many ideas how to make this script better but for now I don't want to make big changes into script. I will wait when when blender is out from

beta status. But this script should work quite nicely for now. I will update blender svn today.

• Applink Developer

Script is Updated. Well, It took a long time and in the end it was quite easy fix, but now the script works like it worked before with the latest blender version.

So the video tutorials are valid again. Only change for users is that "object path" is now "object(name from blender) name". Sounds odd but it will clear up

to you when you test it. The script is updated already in svn. But if you want to try it now I will put 3dcoat folder here too. Just replace the old folder

with this one. (from scripts/addons). Right now I feel that the hardest part is over with blender API and from now on it should be quite staple. Fingers Crossed :p:

io_coat3D.rar

• Applink Developer

Thanks everyone! It's really nice to hear that the script is working, or then you are just too polite ;)

There is something that troubles me. When I'm using applink it seams that my normal maps are inverted. Ups are downs and vice versa.

My 3d-coat normal settings are: Maya and "Normalize T by B". But whatever settings I try my normal map dosen't look correct. I can easily

fix this in blender by setting normal amount to -1. I could put it the script that it sets amount automaticly to -1.

But in the end the amount should be 1 not -1. What do you think about this??

• Applink Developer

Hi ifxs!

I think you can. Blender dosen't read 3b files but you can bring them using .obj file format. Here is a quick demo

Message to Andrew: right now you can load 3b files if the path is inside of import.txt. But we need to get 3b path from export too.

So if the 3b is saved in 3d-coat then it could write the path into export.txt. Many thanks.

• Applink Developer

script updated. Now you can put textures into separate folder. If texture folder box is empty it uses mesh path folder to seek textures. If not empty, it uses

texture folder to seek textures. Also I did some UI clean up. Exchange folder box is moved under Applink Settings.

• Advanced Member

Thanks everyone! It's really nice to hear that the script is working, or then you are just too polite ;)

There is something that troubles me. When I'm using applink it seams that my normal maps are inverted. Ups are downs and vice versa.

My 3d-coat normal settings are: Maya and "Normalize T by B". But whatever settings I try my normal map dosen't look correct. I can easily

fix this in blender by setting normal amount to -1. I could put it the script that it sets amount automaticly to -1.

But in the end the amount should be 1 not -1. What do you think about this??

Yes! I've had the same issue since forever. I always just set it to -1. But it's not just 3dCoat it's from other programs too. So I think it's less of an Applink issue and more of a blender issue. I was looking for an option in blender so that the default normal map value would be negative 1 but I couldn't find one. If you set the value in the applink I would be happy with that!

• Applink Developer

That's good to know kay_Eva. Now the script is changed that it will automaticly put -1 as a normal texture amount.

Also here is zip file if someone wants to use it right now. Please, remember that if you want to put textures into diffrent folder you have to

set texture folder box before pressing export button. Only then textures goes into right folder. If you want to leave textures into same folder with object, then

just leave texture folder box empty it uses Mesh path box for textures. Thanks.

io_coat3D.rar

• Applink Developer

Hi!

Andrew added some cool applink features in his latest 3d-coat update. Now the script is updated too. The main feature is

that everytime when you bring a mesh from 3d-coat, it also bring the info about 3b path. So in the future if you have many

objects in blender scene you don't have to remember 3b file they are from. You just press "load 3b" and it will automaticly

loads the right 3b file into 3d-coat. I'm very excited about this feature because it will easy my workflow. I like to work that I have each object

from blender scene in separate 3b file.

Here is a quick tutorial about it:

After this I feel that the applink is quite usefull, So I will stop adding features and will start to make code cleaner and updating the manual.

If you find something that is odd or a bug, please email or write them here. Here is also zip file if you want to try right now. I'm not able to

put into blender trunk in couple of days. I hope it is in SVN by monday. Thanks again for all testing and bug reports, really helps a lot. :)

io_coat3D.rar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Haikalle

Thx for your script.

I use a Mac and I've this Blender version : Blender 2.5 (32 bit) [34736]

I did follow your tutorial about how to install the script.

But when i try to export it doesn't work : please see the Error Message

Shall I install a script manually first ?

Could you give a hand please.

Thx

post-4727-12972531497175_thumb.jpg

post-4727-12972531613757_thumb.jpg

post-4727-1297253176894_thumb.jpg

post-4727-12972531857048_thumb.jpg

post-4727-12972532020505_thumb.jpg

• Applink Developer

Hi Adivaki!

Do you see File -> Export -> Wavefront(.obj)

If you don't see it then there is a quick fix for this issue. Just go to File -> User preference. And under addons choose import-export section

and make sure that Wavefront obj format is enabled. Hope this helps.

hello,

Thx for the quick reply.

Effectively, the export -> obj was unchecked.

Now, It works !!

But it seems to have a little bug in 3DC.

I've exported a sphere for "PPPainting"(once the sphere's not been subdivided in 3DC and another one yes). And added some "bump" .

So when I use my brush on the object some parts are good and others very bad (see my pics please).

I've tested with a sphere directly in 3DC and it works perfectly.

Otherwise, when I re-import in Blender, all is fine.

Thx

post-4727-12972586062321_thumb.jpg

post-4727-1297258617964_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink