3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Drawing shapes are off center....

lildragon

Hiya, about to start a fresh project for a client all in 3d coat, it's another hard surface asset and I was watching this vid

And after trying for myself to draw out the beginning shapes, the mesh created was off the center, and if I used Symmetry it created two meshes instead of one... Is there an option to draw at center? Because drawing out the shapes then moving them to center isn't going to be too much fun :)

Thanks for any answers.

Thanks, I did try this and still get the weird result... so I made a quick vid to help illustrate better

This one actually halted my workflow, because of the behavior of the tool first not drawing at zero and then randomly drawing at varying distances.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, I did try this and still get the weird result... so I made a quick vid to help illustrate better

This one actually halted my workflow, because of the behavior of the tool first not drawing at zero and then randomly drawing at varying distances.

Confirmed. It's happening on my end, too. Same with the clay tool as well. Send Andrew an e-mail (Support@3D-Coat.com) with a link to that video. Whenever there is a workflow killing bug or issue, he typically stops what he's currently doing and jumps on it.

Until he get's it straightened out, could you not just turn Symmetry off, initially, and once you've created your base shape, then turn symmetry on. With the Symmetry panel on before you create something, it's like 3D Coat is blind and doesn't know where you want to start. I agree, that by default, it should be dead center. I was getting some real funkiness going on with symmetry while testing this. Symmetry plane would disappear sometimes. Might be the Options.xml (MyDocs/3D Coat V4) file or something. That's the kind of behavior it exhibits, sometimes, when it gets all fudged up.

What I always try to start out with is a primitive, but yeah...Andrew needs to take a look at this.

Ok sent, and yeah I can definitely work that way for now, I'll have to since I want to make this asset all 3DC...It's unfortunate but hopefully Andrew can clear it up quickly for the next update.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Andrew that did the trick! I had to set the Params to "Plane defined by 3 point" to get the expected behavior... for some reason choosing "Plane defined by RMB" lags greatly in creating the blob.

Thanks again!

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Andrew that did the trick! I had to set the Params to "Plane defined by 3 point" to get the expected behavior... for some reason choosing "Plane defined by RMB" lags greatly in creating the blob.

Thanks again!

I think that is because it was designed to have something to reference, like an object already in the scene.