3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

If it doesn't work, definitely backup your configs, then remove them from the 3DC user folder. You shouldn't have any problems then. Get those bug reports in!

• Advanced Member

Looking pretty sweet. Good work guys!

edit: Seems a lot more polished. Do the shaders look better or is it just me? Performance in DX version is buttery smooth! I finally know how to use the blob tool and it's great. Icon helped out a lot on that one.

Better get to sleep. But I can't wait until I have some time to do a sculpt in the new build.

OK tried deleting both Options.xml first and Options_Presets.xml and it still crashed, BTW when I asked which i was looking in the install folder where there a lot of them. I see this is in Documents now.

I've now backed up and deleted the entire Documents/3D-CoatV3 folder and reinstalled. This time it worked so the problem was something in that folder.

Sorry about duplicate posts. site got messed up while I was posting somehow. I've deleted them.

OK I think I found the problem file Options_Theme.xml. after deleting that one 3DC started OK. Everything seems correct now.

Edit: Oh damn. in the preferences panel along the top there are some tabs and some buttons but they look the same. I was mindlessly clicking them trying to switch between tabs and I reset my hotkeys. Those should be changed so there's a more obvious difference.

Bocs, If we right click the volume in the Voxtree you will find an option 'to global scale' Perform this every time after sizable scaling operation to resample back to global scale before adding new volume. usually we can see if its needed by the way the shader is lit. Basically the Volume keeps it Voxel scale and it the scaled Voxel scale that causes these problems, Though to be fair the instance where we have three primative in this way is few its handy to know.

Thanks, that did do the trick to fix this issue as a work around (to global scale)

*However for reference, the sphere primitive will be distorted if added to a transformed layer that has not been set "to global scale"....other primitives seem to respect the transform

*Minor bug, but now I know how to address it

Sorry about duplicate posts. site got messed up while I was posting somehow. I've deleted them.

OK I think I found the problem file Options_Theme.xml. after deleting that one 3DC started OK. Everything seems correct now.

Edit: Oh damn. in the preferences panel along the top there are some tabs and some buttons but they look the same. I was mindlessly clicking them trying to switch between tabs and I reset my hotkeys. Those should be changed so there's a more obvious difference.

Tnanks for discovering! Please send me Options_Theme.xml to discover. It will be helpful to prevent crash for other peoples after UI migration.

Thanks Andrew and Leigh :)

The preset system is such a big help. I just have one little wish: can you please add folders for the presets like the materials tab? Since we can store so many settings, I can see this being helpful in the future for setting up different brushes.

Icons are a great addition too. I love it. Thanks again.

Some of the voxel brushes are hard to distinguish from each other but overall they are nice. I see you can easily change icons by replacing the pngs in the folder, so maybe we see some community icons/customized themes in the future. That's great :)

This was a discussion point, we thought it would be nice to have separators that you could place between brush groups. Folders would be nice but they induce opening/closing, separators let the user have all the options available at once without further interaction (since you can manualy sort the preset by drag and dropping them by their top left icons.)

It's noted.

Yes, seperators are a good alternative, I like that idea too. What I basically have in mind is just stepping through my workflow. For example: skin painting red/blue/yellow areas, then to the next preset to paint veins or breakup skin, then paint over/blur with the basecolor etc.. That would be possible with seperators.

I just discovered you can put presets in the quick panel as well. Nice :)

• Advanced Member

Congratulations on the changes in the GUI!

I certainly have not yet discovered all but I overall flatter window-appearance + new application-icons looks a lot more attractive

and more consistent. These changes really make a huge difference!

While I personally quite like textual interfaces I find also the Tool-Icon-Work very nicely done.

In terms of consistency of options one might offer the familar Space-Bar Popup though, when Text-Interface is chosen.

Also the work on the Tooltips is greatly appreciated.

It's a great first pass, but I can assure this will be going even better next. Streamlining ui and adopting more conventional approach will make 3dcoat so much more fun to use :)

I'm very happy to read this. That's exactly what's missing or can make another difference in comparison with other programs. Working close with users/artists is the right way.

:)

• Contributor

Here is my feedback regarding new Ui:

Pros:I really like the "design" of the icons...they are very clear as what the tool is supposed to do (ex:Cell hide vs hide.)

Excellent job on that side of thing.They are all very well represented ...except Move tool which looks more like a smudge and is not so clear ..I think the icon should be a sphere from which we clearly see a part which has been moved/dragged.Just my opinion:)

(btw I think Fill and Smooth icons are inverted.)

Cons:I really dont like the "shading" of the icons.

They need a little specular(like zb/mb) some icons are very hard to see the stokes on the sphere.

(ex:LC Crease which hard to see or LC flatten which looks like a sphere.)

Just a little specular kick would be perfect .

as a user I am very pleased :the Preset system works great and it can be docked so I just have to hide the default tool bar.

In all,VERY GOoD JOB!!! Andrew and LJB.Congrats!! V4 is taking shape! :)

• Reputable Contributor

Great Job on the new update. The small tears in surface mode with reduce stretching enabled seems fixed. Will test some more. Some of the brush icons are hard to see what kind of effect they will have based upon the icon. It leaves one major problem still, the negative effect of the LC brushes on thinner areas of the surface mesh. The bug makes it hard to work on thinner areas of your surface mesh using the LC brushes... This is very easy to reproduce as shown in the video on this thread, 3rd post down. The video states the general brush but it effects all LC brushes some more some less... http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9792&st=40

• Reputable Contributor

To said it will never be fixed, is not a good thing... This was not a problem till the new brush routine. I use created LC brushes a lot plus the default ones. This would effectively disable using them without always thinking ok, I can brush this way but not this way... Mud2 with zero noise is good but I should not be limited to using it for only thinner areas of the mesh...

Why have the LC brushes and always have to think ok I can only used them in a certain way. Again this was not a problem till the new brush routine... I think it can be fixed for the new brush routine but only Andrew knows for sure. He has not commented either way up to now...

Edit: The InflateClay brush also is not clearly stamping the alpha as before the new brush routine. This is also discussed in the brush improvement thread...

I am not trying to distract from the new look and more artist friendly UI but the above issues are very important also. To be able to quickly stamp small clearly define details in the surface mesh was a big plus with the LC dynamic tesselation...

I will make a couple more troubleshooting videos for Andrew comparing the differences for both issues in the next week or so...

• Advanced Member

Just to clariffy because I'm using older build. So we can't install this new build and use an older build together in one machine because the xml settings will be overwritten even if the new build is installed in a different folder?

Hi Geo!

Yes if you have this build installed with another older build (Pre 3.7.12), that older build will have some very different UI portions. I didn't experience any weirdness as far as functionality goes, simply and only UI elements were different. I can't say that you wont have any functionality problems, as I didn't fully explore everything. :)

New GUI notes

-The "Borders" tab in Preferences seems to be a list of controls for a brightness multiplier

function. Though some of them affect an area rather than a border. For example, setting

"DockedAdjustment" to zero will turn the background of all docked panels to black.

Unfortunately there appears to be a one of these modifiers affecting Theme>Edit Area Color that causes an

unwanted darkening and doesn't have a control that's directly available to the user. You can control it using

Borders>InputFieldAdjustment, but if you set that value to 1, it's much darker than the selected color, so

something else is messing with it under the hood.

Another problem; Borders>InputFieldAdjustment affects both Theme>Edit Area Color and what should be

Theme>Edit Area Border Color.

I say "what should be" because Theme>Edit Area Border Color now only affects a line under the text next to

the edit area not it's surrounding border.

-The Edit Area Highlight is broken (Tool highlighting works fine)

-There's a drop shadow around the edge of the 3D viewport, hopefully there will be an option to turn this off

-Re:Icons. I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a stick in the mud here say I generally don't like them. When they're

large enough to be legible they take up too much real estate. (As marupura, noted with the quick access panel)

But Icons do work great in certain places, like the "E" panel. so I hope we'll have the ability to turn them off per area;

i.e. side menu, quick access, "E" panel, etc.

-Jeff