3DCoat Forums

The Anatomy Project

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

130444765831.jpg

If there's one single subject of study that will immensely improve the abilities of any artist, it's the study of anatomy. And we, the beneficiaries of the computer graphics revolution are fortunate enough to have at our disposal the resources and tools that only a very few wealthy people or people fortunate enough to be patronized by the wealthy and enlightened could experience. We have a sculpture studio on our desk capable of amazing things. Man is the microcosm of the universe, and if we master the art of sculpting, drawing, and painting man to excellence then we master all...

Therefore I want to consacrate this thread to the study of anatomy, mainly human but also animal. My own struggles to master anatomy have paralleled my struggles to obtain some mastery over this new medium. Early on I assumed that NURBS was the only way to model and my struggles to create the kind of complex irregular surfaces one encounters in the biological world repeatedly frustrated me. Then I discovered SubD polygonal modeling and the advent of Zbrush and I was able to make further progress. But there again the difficulties imposed by the topology of a subD polygonal object raised all sorts of difficult barriers. Of course we have the examples of Zack Petroc over as Zbrush but I wasn't really inspired to undertake this work, the work of constructing the human form from it's individual constituent parts in all their detail and beauty until I came across 3d Coat and Leigh Bamforth's superb tutorial series on the human skull that I got the courage to try again. That's when I decided to buy 3d Coat and get into Voxel sculpting, which I feel is the way of the future.

http://vimeo.com/channels/ljbsculptingtutorials

So join me and contribute your own serious efforts at mastering this difficult and rewarding subject. I'm not going to stop this thread until I die or triumph..

In the process I hope to be sharing resources that all can use. I own a real human skelton that I purchased in 1980 and I've been gathering texture palettes that I will be posting for everyone's use here as well as models and 2d resources. I hope you too will have resources you can share with us...

post-3590-0-79824600-1318906285_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-11184700-1318906294_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-27083700-1318906297_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-42731800-1318906308_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-15655500-1318906376_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-31707500-1318906383_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-94628800-1318906385_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-79780200-1318906393_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-43873200-1318906426_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

I like to join this effort.

So many times I posted opinions a bit agains anatomy.

The basic principles of composition, of sculpting have little to do with anatomy.

Anatomy is an analytic approach but may be an inspiration to sculpt even crazy things.

In any case I like to participate. I had some hard time, searching the web for some interesting references.

On interesting poses. A simple chart on a T like pose doesn't help me. What comes from bones, what from muscles, when looking at the surface... When all these details becoming soft, what part is still sharp and visible...

Anatomy is an idea after all, it can also serve psychology, expressionism etc. Analysis is the appropriate word. I think so. But, most of all, observation.

• Advanced Member

I like to join this effort.

So many times I posted opinions a bit agains anatomy.

The basic principles of composition, of sculpting have little to do with anatomy.

Anatomy is an analytic approach but may be an inspiration to sculpt even crazy things.

In any case I like to participate. I had some hard time, searching the web for some interesting references.

On interesting poses. A simple chart on a T like pose doesn't help me. What comes from bones, what from muscles, when looking at the surface... When all these details becoming soft, what part is still sharp and visible...

Anatomy is an idea after all, it can also serve psychology, expressionism etc. Analysis is the appropriate word. I think so. But, most of all, observation.

That would be excellent michalis. You're a very knowledgeable and talented guy. I look foward to seeing your contributions to it. Maybe it'll inspire me to get off my lazy ass and start working on it.

And I agree that the mechanical approach to anatomy is not the be all and end all to sculpture, but it's an essential fundamental skill that allows the higher functions of the art to flourish on top of a firm foundation of correct knowledge.

post-3590-0-49392700-1319402216_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-80667800-1319402220_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I was really stoked for my mirror project then I went dead after I finished it. Call it procrastination, laziness, artist's block it wasn't fun. I wasted the last two weeks being bored, vexed annoyed, frustrated.

Albrecht Durer made a superb etching on this subject, called Melancholia...Saturn exerts it's malign influence upon creative people...and they sink into a paralyzing depression...

Melencolia_I_%28Durero%29.jpg

Anyway, last night I'd had enough and set to work despite feeling depressed, or rather overwhelmed by all the problems that this medium presents to me, particularly in texturing. And after just a little bit of work I felt a whole lot better...

post-3590-0-74902200-1320725993_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-50656600-1320726246_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

So I finally got it right and loaded the foot in as a set of discreet solid individual bones. Too bad you can't import a layered mesh from Maya..I kept making stupid mistakes until I woke up from my stupor and did it right. These short gloomy days are making me sluggish and stupid right now.

Now I can start really sculpting and texturing it..

post-3590-0-97805700-1321064656_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

I decided to a general anatomy man first. This is a very rough work so far with lots of anatomy not quite right... I broke symmetry very earlier in the process and no references used so far, just to push myself some. I will use references though.

post-518-0-89058800-1321122644_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I did hundreds of drawings on paper, (no digital) lol. On Michelangelo's work, on anatomy charts, on Da Vinci's drawings, ancient greek sculpture etc etc. Still confused.

Something I'm working on. Unfinished. I mean I have one almost complete but some anatomic issues here and there , he he .

Though rendered in zb-bpr only a few strokes added, basically a voxel based sculpting. Because I love the natural way I can subtract massive pieces of stuff (3DC)

It's the light important for me, not the logical enclosure.

BTW I believe that symmetry doesn't help on this kind of experiments.

Just for fun... it looks like a portrait now, lol

c1.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I know what the problem is and how to fix it. 3DCoat is not seeing your voxel model... flip polys is not the problem. This problem seems to appear when we use an imported model that we merged to the voxel room and "use names correspondence for baking" is selected.

How to fix:

First get rid of the top empty layer in the retopo room. The one that 3DCoat puts there by default. That I believe causes the problem.

It seems to affect the baking when "use names correspondence for baking" is selected which I assume you have selected.

Make sure your group names match the voxel layer names.

Just to keep things tidy correct your uvmap name set when merging. If I have a uv map set named "man", when I merge (bake) 3DCoat wants to change the uv map set name to "man_man". I correct that and I rename it back to "man" before baking.

How I know about this is it happened to me awhile ago. I had to this morning drink my coffee and get my brain going to remember the steps to fix it. I recreated your problem and then fixed using the above method..

It's a bug I think in that new feature (use names correspondence for baking)

• Advanced Member

I hope the above does help. I had posted a little update on my work but 3DCoat crashes now every time I try to load the file. I will repost when I get further along again.

Digman to the rescue. It's like you're some kind of god of 3d Coat that knows all its infinite mysteries.. :D:brush: :brush: :brush:

:clapping: :clapping:

But seriously I'm going to have to wrap my brains around what you've just told me..this is tough.. :blink:

• Reputable Contributor

Just select Auto-retopo only. Next manually create your uv seams or run the auto uv mapper in the retopo room. This is my own workflow, as I always want to check stuff before being turned loose in the paint room. The auto uv mapper in the retopo room will not send you to the paint room. You have lots more control and more options at how you bake going this route...

post-518-0-22861300-1321304598_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Just select Auto-retopo only. Next manually create your uv seams or run the auto uv mapper in the retopo room. This is my own workflow, as I always want to check stuff before being turned loose in the paint room. The auto uv mapper in the retopo room will not send you to the paint room. You have lots more control and more options at how you bake going this route...

Thanks. I just went out for a walk on a cold clear day with lots of wind and I got the idea that if I took that black autopo mesh and exported it as an obj then reimported it that might work. B)

OK did a straight up Autopo like you said and got this. But there's nothing in the UV Room or the Paint Room. What's the correct path to get the mesh into those places? There does seem to be some kind of one piece distorted UV map in the Retopo Room UV Prieveiw though.

post-3590-0-84986800-1321311862_thumb.jp