3DCoat Forums

Clarisse, the future ?

Clarisse is a new 3D app coming soon. It looks like it has potential.

YouTube video:

clarisse_screen_01.jpg

My personal opinion:

Pros:

Not owned by Autodesk (yet)

Clean interface

Rendering looks pretty decent from what I can see.

Cons:

First version will not do modeling, rigging, character animation, hypervoxels, or particles. I'm assuming it will also not do dynamics of any sort.

High price, looks like it will cost 3 to 4 times as much as LightWave.

Unknown company, or at least I've never heard of them, so who knows what support will be like. But then I had never heard of Pilgway 3 years ago either and that turned out great.

• Advanced Member

Looks like modo. Probably a spinoff of nexus.

Looking at modo in its almost decade development, its not going to be competing with maya,3dmax,xsi,c4d anytime soon to be a full package. Maybe after 5 years. It is interesting to note that they will add the modelling later which other people seem to think that its not good to program a 3d software with animation first and add modelling later.

But imho its the right direction. When core was announced as being a modeller for core 1.0, it was unexpected at this day and age to bring out a basic modelling 3d app. It seems weak. They should have tried to replace layout slowly imho instead of modeller.

So it will be interesting to see clarisse and core 1.0 head to head.

• Advanced Member

Yeah i am confused also it seems to be a texture and rendering app. It looks quite good but there is already apps that do similar stuff and now quality open source rendering apps like Lux so it will have to be something quite special if it has a high price tag.

So according to the LightWave store it's currently $895.00 so it will be around either $2685-$3580 for a new app that will probably be full of bugs when the public/company's starts testing it as new products usually do, if that is the intro price considering that and you can get Lux render free and Thea for about €158.54 i guess they are not aiming at the general 3d market but only game and animation studios.

• 3 months later...

It seems like there are a lot of apps trying to fill the editing hole between final render and production ready whether it's re-lighting, multi-pass compositing. It seems like especially on larger productions this need has developed to have more than bunch of loosely defined scripts for whatever side (2D or 3D) to get final editing/finishing/integration done. Out of that there's Katana for Nuke, a bunch of reLighting plug-ins for various compositing packages, lots of post processing applications for the unbiased renderers, apps like ReLight from the Bakery, Colimo from Motivo and now Clarisse. The problem I see now is that all of these apps have similar multi-pass functions, but not similar enough that they are interchangeable as yet. It will probably get interesting once there's one finishing app that has all of the tools necessary to complete any of the niche finishing tasks that all of these cater to separately. Right now it's like the Wild, Wild West but once there's one standard there will at least be a baseline UI that all the devs will follow and it will just be a matter refining the pixel tools instead of having every dev trying to completely re-invent the wheel completely.

On Clarisse specifically. I think it's not in anyway (codewise) related to modo. I remember there being a build of blender, maybe a year or so ago that conformed the UI to looking a lot like modo and I think that's what Clarisse is based upon. Obviously I'm not absolutely sure, but the interface just has a similar feel to the one I saw in that vid. (wish someone in the know could confirm or deny this though.)

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I was surfing around on the internet while rendering and I stumbled upon this 3D software and it made me cry a little with my rendertime being 3 hours a frame..

Its still in the make but I think this means: no more retopo.. :)

If you dont like the first video.. please skip it and watch the second one.. realtime 4.97 billion polygons on screen while playing animation..

• Advanced Member

That kind of render time would keep anyone away. I don't care how nice the viewport interaction is.

I actually like speed in my workflow, for setting up lights for rendering its really nice..

Houdini gives quite me a fast preview but it takes a while with really big files.. currently rendering a 88.000.000 voxels volcano, takes me 15 mins to see a small preview of light interaction.. its a real pain.. <_<

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for sharing, I will be interested myself in taking it out for a spin if possible.

Yeah, the first video nearly blew out my speakers, as my sound was turned up for another project... :shok:

• Reputable Contributor

I actually like speed in my workflow, for setting up lights for rendering its really nice..

Houdini gives quite me a fast preview but it takes a while with really big files.. currently rendering a 88.000.000 voxels volcano, takes me 15 mins to see a small preview of light interaction.. its a real pain.. <_<

Don't get me wrong...I am all for viewport interactivity and realtime GPU renderers, etc....but if the the final rendering times are that disappointing, then it doesn't seem worth the effort and expense.

I'm seriously thinking about moving from 3ds Max to Blender, now that it's had time to mature and the Cycles Renderer looks pretty sweet.

• Advanced Member

but if the the final rendering times are that disappointing, then it doesn't seem worth the effort and expense.

Im not quite sure what rendering times you are talking about? Are you talking about my Houdini render times?

Clarisse should be pretty fast.. :)

Anyways.. I think moving from 3DS Max to Blender is a good choice I suppose, I dont like Max or Blender but I've seen some Cycles renders and they look quite impressive!

You can always use both btw.. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Im not quite sure what rendering times you are talking about? Are you talking about my Houdini render times?

Clarisse should be pretty fast.. :)

Anyways.. I think moving from 3DS Max to Blender is a good choice I suppose, I dont like Max or Blender but I've seen some Cycles renders and they look quite impressive!

You can always use both btw.. :)

Maybe I misunderstood your first post. I thought you said it took 3hrs to render a single frame? That's totally ungood... :D

• Advanced Member
I think moving from 3DS Max to Blender is a good choice I suppose, I dont like Max or Blender but I've seen some Cycles renders and they look quite impressive! You can always use both btw.. :)

I think that decision is a no-brainer, because you would loose no money, even if you decide afterwards to go back to max (maybe only time).

• Advanced Member
I think that decision is a no-brainer, because you would loose no money, even if you decide afterwards to go back to max (maybe only time).

Well, you still need to invest a lot of your time. In blender case, a lot of your life LOL.

I'm another blenderhead, and still messing with texture-file-path issues...

Cycles is a wonderful engine IMO, still long way to go. The summer roadmap is altered, I'm afraid. Problems with SSS, termination issues, hair support implementation.

What I saw on these videos is not too far from what blender/cycles can do.

Just assign a group, then add group as many times you wish. This may result to have billions but these are instances. Cycles will render them really fast. Though lot of optimization is coming soon.

What I noticed on shading, this also is possible under cycles, it looks very similar actually. (color ramps)

• Reputable Contributor

I didn't renew my subscription this year (there just wasn't enough features/improvements to warrant it this year...pretty lame upgrade compared to past versions), and I've been keeping an eye on that Cycles render in Blender.

Note:

Green-words was made for major4z

All the info about here:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?260277-green-woods

---------------------------------------------------------

Cabin in the woods was made for JonathanL

All the info about here:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?260279-Cabin-in-the-Woods

photorealisticcabininth.png

Clarisse drives me crazy because everyone's been going on about how amazing it is for months but it's extremely limited in what it can do. Basically a render engine for simple objects and textures with some extremely simple animation. That's about it. No character animation, rigging, modeling, dynamics, particles, the list goes on and on. Yet they intend to charge about the same price as max or maya.