3DCoat Forums

Tutorial: Creating a 3D model for video games - Topic: Fantasy "war hammer" (English)

Hi friends.

I've posted the english version of my new tutorial series. There is a german one already online.

In this tutorial series you will learn how to create a 3D model for video games inside 3D Coat. I will explain the whole process from concepting up to the modeling and texturing topics.

This is the first episode of the small tutorial series. In this part you will see how I create a concept artwork in photoshop.

I became a bit longer, than it could actually be... but anyway. :)

Hope you like it and will be one of my audience for the upcoming episodes.

Thank you

Chris

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you for these tutorials. Even the ones in German (even though I don't understand a single word in German) are teaching me a lot, simply by watching what you are doing. Because you go over the each tool in detail it gives me a better understanding of how to better use 3d-coat. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends.

Today I was asked how many episodes my tutorial will overall have. Here my answer:

A special amount of parts are not planned. It depends how long the individual episodes will need for their content. My only limitation is the maximum length of one hour per episode.

What I definitely want is to show you the WHOLE process. I try to explain it in a schedule:

- 2D concept of the model.
- 3D sculpting of the main shapes.
- 3D sculpting of the weapon characteristics. The most important point in my opinion by the way. Means creating wood grain, notches etc. A weapon tells a story and this one too.
- Retopology of the final sculpting for using in videogames.
- Setup of the texture coordinates.
- Texturing of the weapon. I will do this in the paint room of 3D Coat and give the weapon its final touch.
- Export of the LowPoly model and all corresponding textures.

Finaly I will import the model in to Marmoset Toolbag to show you how it looks inside a game engine environment.

The most 3D Coat tutorials deal with the sculpting process only. But my tutorial shows you how to create a complete 3D model for games - so I can't interrupt in the middle of the whole process, after showing you just the sculpting. :)

So there will come some more episodes in the future. I hope you don't worry and have enough patience?
:)

Best regards
Chris

• Like 2

Hello friends.

It is time for the third issue of my tutorial. 

In this episode of my tutorial series you will learn how to create a pattern for the curve tool in 3D Coat. This example pattern is used for the handle cord of the warhammer.

Visit my YouTube Channel or my blog to see it please. And don't forget to switch your ad blocker off for this one time. ;)
Or drop a small support value via paypal if you like my tutorials. All this completely voluntary of course! Thank you all for your kind words.

My YouTube channel -> http://www.youtube.com/GraphicGladiator

Have fun!

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends.

I guess you will need some more patience for the 4th episode of my warhammer tutorial.

I have a bad bronchitis and hope I will be OK until the end of the next week. So it will take some more time for my next part. But I`ve already prepared the schedule for the next content.

Best wishes

Chris

• 4 months later...

My subscribers maybe already read it:

The forth episode of my fantasy weapon tutorial series in english language is out now!

:)

Direkt video link:

Thank you all for your patience. I hope the next part will do not need this much time to be released...

Have fun

Chris

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yesterday our summer was extremely hot and muggy here in germany. We had 95 F (35°C). So I used the time in our cooler house to record the 5th episode of the english version of my fantasy weapon tutorial series. I hope you like the result. :-)

In this episode of my tutorial series you will learn how to create a repeatable pattern. This pattern will be used as a mask in 3D-Coat to extrude ornaments on the weapon. The interesting part is: The pattern need to placed on a round surface and must fit exactly. You will learn the whole process beginning in creating the mask in photoshop with vector graphics up to using the result in 3D-coat.

Preview: Episode 6 will introduce the texturing part. There I will begin to retopologize the highpoly model to get a low poly mesh for the game engine.

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 3

Always welcome.

By the way: I would like it very much if you think about a click on the adverts in the videos.  :blush:

I don't expect advert clicks really, but it makes me always glad.

For all who don't see the ads: Just switch the adblocker off for a second...  ;)

Even if you don't click on the adverts I will "bother" you with more free videos in the future for shure...  :p:

Thank you and best regards

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello friends.

Here we are with the 6th episode of my tutorial series how to create a fantasy weapon for video games.

In this episode I begin to describe the retopology part.

For the very fast viewers: Please be a little bit patient. The HD versions of my video are in progress and will be available as soon as possible. The YouTube servers need some time.

;)

Have fun!
Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello friends.

Here is my newest tutorial episode how to create a fantasy weapon for videogames in 3D-Coat.

In this episode I explain how to set the uv information inside the retopo room for later texture painting and normalmap calculation.

In the next episode we will start the texture part. I will explain how to bake the highpoly normalmaps to our model.

Thank you for watching

Chris

PS: Please have some patience. YouTube needs a bit to publish all video resolutions... :)

• Like 2

Hi friends.

Here we are with a new episode. The weather is really bad here in germany, so I have more time to record new videos. ;)

This time the international audience will be served first. But the german version is already in preparation.

In this episode you will learn how to manage the settings to bake normalmaps into the low poly mesh.

Next time I will start to paint the color information in the paint room.

Thank you for watching!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi friends.

Here we are with a new episode. The weather is really bad here in germany, so I have more time to record new videos. ;)

This time the international audience will be served first. But the german version is already in preparation.

In this episode you will learn how to manage the settings to bake normalmaps into the low poly mesh.

Next time I will start to paint the color information in the paint room.

Thank you for watching!

Are you going to finish this series? I would very much like to see the rest of the process, including Marmoset rendering.

Thank you!

Edited by Plastik