3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Oh new icons again. Not being a huge icon fan in general I actually kind of liked the old ones. These I find harder to read with the dark background, Great pictures individually but they kind of blur together when looked at in a group.. Otherwise the build seems very cool. I'm finding that I can't drag in the Retopo Groups panel to scroll. Whether I drag on the icon or not. It also seems to have some trouble with scrolling with the mouse wheel and clicking. Not sure exactly, but it seems to bounce around if I scroll up and try to hide/unhide a list of groups.

Here's a little video: you can see every time I try to scroll up to click some more "eyes" it jumps back down.

http://screencast.com/t/udlho6yAk

The UpdateRetopo function works marvelously, even better than I expected.

• Reputable Contributor

Oh new icons again. Not being a huge icon fan in general I actually kind of liked the old ones. These I find harder to read with the dark background, Great pictures individually but they kind of blur together when looked at in a group....

That's why you have a choice, now. I don't know of any other application that goes this far to "try" and please everyone. Great job on the icons, Leigh, and anyone else, who may have helped.

That's why you have a choice, now. I don't know of any other application that goes this far to "try" and please everyone. Great job on the icons, Leigh, and anyone else, who may have helped.

You mean the choice to use them or not? Yes, you're right, there aren't many other programs that offer such choices. There's no need to get upset, I'm only sharing my opinion for the good of everyone. Obviously a lot of people like the new ones. I was a fan of the old ones. I should hope that's OK.

Nice update!! The icons took a little getting used to since I was used to the old ones but I do like the new ones more as they seem more clear on what the tools do. In voxels it seems if you hold control while using the rectangle feature with clay and carve you get the same result that you would if you were to use cutoff. Is it supposed to be that way?

For formality I am using 3.7.14.

Thank you for all of your time and dedication to this program. Because of 3D Coat, I am finally able to drop Zbrush from my workflow.

• Reputable Contributor

You mean the choice to use them or not? Yes, you're right, there aren't many other programs that offer such choices. There's no need to get upset, I'm only sharing my opinion for the good of everyone. Obviously a lot of people like the new ones. I was a fan of the old ones. I should hope that's OK.

Nevermind...I think I may have misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were referring to text (ie, Lightwave-esque). I'm sure Leigh or Andrew could supply the old icons as a download, so you can replace the new ones. The good thing about the new ones is that hovering over the tool lets you see are larger version of the icon + name + tooltip. Pretty nice, methinks.
...The question is: do we need cutoff ? Obviously not, we could definitely use any of those brush.

I actually like it. For one thing, it was created for Surface mode, where there was previously no such functionality. Secondly, it's very straight forward, no guessing involved for new users

AbnRanger nice avatar :D

Ghostmode for paintroom please

Thanks...I like a little humor now and then, so I went with it.

• Contributor

And there my friend you're touching one of the argument for tool number reduction.

You get the same result (in voxel mode) using cutoff with lasso/rectangle etc and ctrl as using:

grow

fill

clay

carve

sphere

scrape

pinch

smudge

The question is: do we need cutoff ? Obviously not, we could definitely use any of those brush.

I think its the opposite.A cut off tool is very clear.

I think it should also be able to add.It would be a Cut/Add tool.

All those brushes shouldnt have any cut/add behaviors except sphere brush and 2d-paint brush.

New user is gonna look for a cut/add tool...he is not gonna think :Oh ,lets try Smudge brush and see if I can cut with it. :)

I also think E-panel should be greyed out for all Surface tools for which it only do a simple extrude

(except extrude and absolute brush of course)

For example,you can even select LC Crease brush and use E-panel with it...problem is it only do a simple extrude and nothing related to Creasing or even Liveclay(no local resolution changes).Its very misleadiing..

Of couse there is a lot of brushes and tools,but finally I think im ok with it.Its natural as the app becomes more powerful.

Merging brush togethers can create brushes with too much settings and be even more confusing.

Zb got a gazillion brushes and masking tools,curves and whatnot ,its crazy...and people seems to be ok with it.

Maybe user could be offered on start up to load a "lighter" collection of presets to discover 3DCoat...just an idea.

• Advanced Member

From Andrew's Twitter feed. I'm pretty excited about this.

Andrew, any plans to allow the opposite workflow, where adjustments to the retopo mesh will modify the the voxels? It would be nice to move or extrude geometry on the retopo mesh and have that modify the voxels.

I would like to see...

Extrude (faces)

The following with a optional checkbox for falloff:

Translate (selection of vertices, edges, or faces)

Scale (selection of vertices, edges, or faces)

Rotate (selection of vertices, edges, or faces)

I know it is currently possible to make adjustments to the retopo mesh and then merge it as voxels. This is not the ideal workflow though.

I think the best way would be to create a version of the move tool or pose tool which will allow us to make these adjustments to the voxels by manipulation of the retopo mesh.

One question. Does this function only with complete retopo meshes or will it work with a partial retopo?

Thanks Andrew. Great work!

Personally I like this idea a LOT- the idea to have a simple mesh smooth out an area or precisely control curvature of a rough sculpw, you can use the retopo mesh to do smooth manipulations to the overall surface or details. This would be very useful for hard surface sculptors who want the workflow to sculpt smooth areas like we do in clay,

You can't open the application "3D-Coat" because it is not supported on this architecture

For those who have similar problem here is a solution to try. We have installed Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 and have switched it to 32-bit kernel. 3D-Coat works under 32-bit kernel on Leopard 10.5.2. It turns out that Mac OS X sometimes shows the error message “You can’t open the application XXX because it is not supported on this architecture” because Launch Services for some unknown reason flag the application as unsupported. The solve the problem it is necessary to reset Launch Services database. To reset Launch Services database you should do in Terminal:

1. Find command line utility “lsregister”:

$ find /System/Library/Frameworks -name "lsregister"

2. Change current directory to the location of the utility “lsregister”:

$ cd /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support

3. As administrator reset the Launch Services database:

$ sudo ./lsregister -kill -r -all local,system,user

post-848-0-23106500-1341685408_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Version Win 32 bit non cuda 3.7.14

The split tool in voxel mode is completely broken.

The entire E-Panel is greyed out... No selection is possible for the split tool.

• Reputable Contributor

Version Win 32 bit non cuda 3.7.14

The split tool in voxel mode is completely broken.

The entire E-Panel is greyed out... No selection is possible for the split tool.

I noticed that the selection tools in the E-Panel are also greyed out, as well. Not good. When overlapping (Copy/Paste) islands, you need to use a selection tool to select both (to move/transform both). It's hard to select both with a brush, so I always use the freeform lasso.

• Contributor

Use CTRL now instead of shift for this purpose.

Thanks! I was worried at first, but now I'm happy!

That's why I suggested to remove the cutoff and rename it carve in surface mode. Because carve SHOULD only do what the name suggests (without using a ctrl key !), and since users are presented the voxels tools first it would be nice to help them get familiar with the carve function there and get it in surface mode too..

Personally I ONLY use the Carve tool (with CTRL) because the Cutoff tool seems to be a little buggy. Anybody else noticed that? I think getting rid of the Cutoff tool and replacing it with the Carve tool (in CTRL mode by default) would be the best way to do it.

I noticed that the selection tools in the E-Panel are also greyed out, as well. Not good. When overlapping (Copy/Paste) islands, you need to use a selection tool to select both (to move/transform both). It's hard to select both with a brush, so I always use the freeform lasso.

If I remember correctly, didn't Andrew mention this in his list of changes for the new update? However I don't understand why this is a good change...

• Contributor

Inertia is occasionally grabbing the menu and behaving uncontrollably. What is it supposed to be doing Flinging menu up or down? if so it works about 1 in 10 times that way. Im not seeing the menu Slow down when we reach the limits? Ideally to smooth scrolling id advise just a small elastic effect at the limits like iPhone menus just to take the edge off the abrupt end.

• Advanced Member

I Got problems with my cursor being upside-down? That needs fixing

Yea im having the same problem, I can still work like this but it feels quite annoying.. :(

• Advanced Member

not sure if cursor being upside down is the same thing but I'm getting the brush depth display curve flipped when RMB adjusting. And the movement to adjust the curve is inverted as well.

Yea that sounds like a more accurate description of what I'm experiencing.. :)

• Contributor

Shift to move gizmo feature has killed my use of the curve tool dead, can we go back to old functionality in there PLEASE or at least give the option. You now have to hold shift to move individual curve points. Its not nice.

• Reputable Contributor

Shift to move gizmo feature has killed my use of the curve tool dead, can we go back to old functionality in there PLEASE or at least give the option. You now have to hold shift to move individual curve points. Its not nice.

It was supposed to be for transform gizmos only, with the Transform tool and Pose tool. It's a real PITA working with the new Mannequin or when you have to use the Transform gizmo a lot...having to constantly go back and forth between to center of action and the tool panel...just to orient the gizmo on a new object or selection of FFD points.

• Advanced Member

I just discovered a great place to put my color swatches but I've found that when there's a large number of them they won't fit in the palette there's no way to scroll it.

2012-07-09_1842.png

Wow very nice place to put your swatch! :o

• Contributor

Andrew do you think it would be possible to allow import/export of vertex painting using this kind of .stl conpatible with http://www.solidview.com/.?

Here is a painted sphere in that format.

solidview color.zip

This way it would be possible to send vertex painting to zbrush,right now its only possible to send to 3DC via .obj but it not possible to send vertex painted object back from 3DCoat to zbrush.

(zbrush only write vertex color in .objs on export. but it does not read it on import)

So it is only one-way interaction.

But using this .stl format it is possible to both import/and export via zb 3Dprtint exporter plugin.