3DCoat Forums

Vector displacement

• Advanced Member
I have updated the link. Now VD can be exported/imported as zero based. Several bugs was fixed.

Version identifier - 3.09 BETA3B+

thank you, this version is stable! i'm going to test the vector displacement export/import between Modo.

edit: i use the default setting when importing vector displacement, with a scale factor of 8-10 and it works nicely!

edit2: I saved out a vector displacement image from 3DC, brought it into Modo and it looks very good! make sure to set the low value to -100% and check on the material, and set the displacement distance to something like 80 mm(play around with this number).

3DC EXR exported via "Save Vector Displacement" and imported into Modo:

modo3dcaa3.jpg

Only "issue" i see is that the output from 3DC EXR file is lighter, then Modo:

outputem1.jpg

• Advanced Member
One more thing :

On the top picture, i first sculpted a plane in sculpt mode, then draw a stroke with the pen tool. ( the purple stroke). This stroke is perpendicular to the sculped surface.

On the bottom pic, i imported a vector displacement map, then draw another stroke. This stroke is not perpendicular to the actual surface, but to the surface before i imported the vector disp.

Is it a bug ?

I've got a new bug:

Now, the stroke is perpendicular to the surface, but there's a kind of weave pattern on the stroke. It happens with all kind of tool : Pen, expansion, spline...

It appear on the part of the model displaced by the texture.

I imported the texture on a layer, deleted this layer, created a new one, but the bug is still there.

I happens only when i load vector displacement files.

When you load and save a vector displacement texture, could you also add a choice between 'Zero level is gray normalized or not'

and Zero level is gray or black, normalized or not when you load and save a simple displacement map (for all the layers or for the curent only )

post-476-1210403183_thumb.jpg

I've got a new bug:

Now, the stroke is perpendicular to the surface, but there's a kind of weave pattern on the stroke. It happens with all kind of tool : Pen, expansion, spline...

It appear on the part of the model displaced by the texture.

I imported the texture on a layer, deleted this layer, created a new one, but the bug is still there.

I happens only when i load vector displacement files.

When you load and save a vector displacement texture, could you also add a choice between 'Zero level is gray normalized or not'

and Zero level is gray or black, normalized or not when you load and save a simple displacement map (for all the layers or for the curent only )

I have tried to reproduce... but failed. is it possible to get exr file?

• Advanced Member
I have tried to reproduce... but failed. is it possible to get exr file?

Here are the files.

Open the .obj plane, keep the Uvs

load the vector displacement on the current layer

paint depth using the pen tool for example.

disp_test.rar

• 3 years later...

Maybe there is something more recent on this. Is there even a vector displacment capability in 3dc 3.7? Or is this on the back burner still? I just loaded a vector displacement from xnormal today into Modo 601, It works awesome!! Plus the match UV capability in xnormal saved me from doing a retopo.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=65566&page=0