3DCoat Forums

Ugly Normal and Displacement Maps

Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Hi folks,

I made a model in 3DC for use in C4D.post-1430-0-25826800-1331246550_thumb.pn

The normal and displacement maps I exported had the following effects:post-1430-0-76200400-1331246662_thumb.pn

post-1430-0-04603900-1331246716_thumb.pn

My question is, can I export decent maps like I have done many times before? The displacement looks like broken phong and the normal map creates seams where there are none.post-1430-0-78952700-1331246948_thumb.pn

The color map saved they way that is expected. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Tony

• Advanced Member

Hi Tony,

Have you tried turning on the "sub polygon displacement" button in C4D?

Sub Polygon Displacement subdivides your mesh before displacing it, I usually turn it up to 2 times.

You should also try turning on "round geometry" which helps getting rid of those blocky shapes.

I hope this helps.. :)

• Contributor

Hi Johnny,

thanks for the tip! I was using SBD but "RoundGeometry" cleaned it up. But the image quality isn't improved over the straight color channel so I don't need the the render time hit.

Michalis: I guess your right but the menu in the paint room shows "Export >Displacement Map", etc This had no effect on the appearence of the model in C4D except when it was improperly employed by me. When I did it correctly, there was no discernable difference, with or without. The normal map again doesn't do anything except provide unwanted seams where none occur in the UV map.