3DCoat Forums

5 newby questions about 3dc

Sub-Zero

Go to solution Solved by TimmyZDesign,

1) Is there a tool like ZSpheres in ZBrush? To create a character sketch and to get a rough model for detailing.

2) How to model cross-stitches and ornaments? There were special brushes in ZB...

3) I sculpted a ring. How to apply seamless pattern (on its side)? When I am turning the camera and paint, it looks crooked :(

4) How to create repeating elements? I made one nail, how to copy it to other fingers?

5) As I see, it is recommended to make a sketch in Voxel mode, then go to the Surface, and refine. At what stage of work should I do this transition? Do I need to switch back?

• Contributor
  • Solution

1) Use the Curves tool.

2) Press "e" on your keyboard to get the "e panel" also known as the "stroke mode panel" in newer versions of 3D-Coat. In there is a spline stroke mode for carefully controlling placement of strokes. Choose a "stitch" alpha and use the spline stroke to repeat it across the spline.

3) use the same method as I described in my answer to question number 2.

4) use instancing tool or just clone to another vox layer in the vox tree.

5) go back and forth if you like, but turn on wireframe view to see what happens to the polygon topology when you switch. The mesh will be resampled every time, which will change your topology. In voxel mode the mesh is uniformly subdivided. Therefore the whole mesh must have high resolution to capture detail in voxel mode. In surface mode the mesh can be dynamically subdivided as needed (different parts of the same mesh can have different resolutions).

• Like 1