3DCoat Forums

showmethatagain tute : intro to 3D-Coat V4 (part 1)

• Advanced Member

Hi Everybody,

Just finished this getting started tute for 3D-Coat V4.  It's part one of a three part intro series which I'm currently working my way through making.  I'll be putting all three intro videos up for free on my tutorial site at http://www.showmethatagain.com.

If you get a chance, give it a watch and let me know if I think I'm on the right track :)

20140315_230352.jpg

Cheers,
Simon O

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Great video for new users. Well done and clearly spoken. :good2:

The only spot that will confuse a new user is the use of the UV room. You mentioned that the use of the UV Room was prior to painting for creating uv seams and and unwrapping for the uv set.

A voxel / surface mode model is retopoed plus uv seams are created and unwrapped for the uv set all in the Retopo Room before merging (baking to the paint room for painting your textures).

A model will only show up in the UV room after it has been merged (baked) to the paint room. The model will not appear in the UV room till the merging operation is done.

A model will appear in the UV room in other workflow cases but that is not covered by your tutorial so I am only mentioning the workflow you described for new users...

Again thanks for taking the time to make the tutorial...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the compliments, hopefully the videos will help people get through that first learning curve that we all hit when we start with 3D-Coat.

Also, based on the feedback from Digman above I redid the bit where I talk about the rooms, and have just uploaded the new version to the same link above.

Cheers,
Simon O

Edited by online offworld

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi AbnRanger,

Thanks, glad to help :)

Re putting the tute on Youtube, absolutely, go for it.  I also have a part 2 and 3 planned but it might take me a couple of weeks to get done because I'm also teaching a night class which is taking up all my time at the moment.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi AbnRanger,

Saw you uploaded the video, looks good :)

One suggestion: Maybe change the title to Intro to 3D-Coat V4 part 01, that way people can see that it's not one of the older intro tutes.

Because of the naming confusion and the negative comments, I just removed it. It's a shame folks have to act that way. You did a really good job on that one, but some people can be incredibly cranky and fickle. You don't watch an Intro to 3D Coat video if you are wanting more advanced and fast-paced material. Some fuss that they are too fast, then others it's too slow. There is just no way to please everyone. We all have to watch tutorials to keep up to date on the software we use, and when we do, one just has to have a dose of patience. We aren't going to get 30minutes worth of learning condensed into a 2min video. But people will fuss about it anyway.

With that said, we're going to shift from the Youtube type format and just have Video Manuals available on this website. Thanks for offering to let us put it on the Channel, anyway. Keep going with it, as you were doing a nice job, and most people appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks Gyps,

It's going to be a couple more weeks yet sorry, I teach a night class which basically keeps me working around the clock to keep up with.  

Once I finish the semester with those guys I'll have time to come and get back into the 3D-Coat tutes.