3DCoat Forums

[Solved] VOX layer 20 million polys !?

Flippers

Go to solution Solved by Javis,

i'm trying to do a vox layer from the chest area of my character. the entire character is 2 million polygons...when i use the vox layer it keeps giving me like...15-20 million extrudes? how...the hell do i limit how detailed this extrude is? this is insane!

You could use proxy mode for the extrude, or simply lower the resolution in the area you want to extrude. Personally, I would do the latter. It sounds like it's much too high res for such a function in that area, so the logical step would be to reduce the poly count in that area.

• Solution

The  Vox Layer tool tries very hard to keep the area you've specified retain the shape of the underlying surface, so it can create a lot of triangles during the process. If you're concerned about the poly count, you could always reduce the polys.  Also don't forget that it's creating a thickened mesh, so you have the polygons on both the inner and outer layers, and then the thickness. It really increases the polygons when you do that kind of operation.

To reduce the polys in the local area you want you can use the drop down menu for the SHIFT action or CTRL+SHIFT action (I usually use CTRL+SHIFT so I can keep using smoothing with the Shift key), set the action to Reduce or Decimate and then brush in the area to reduce it. The size of the polygons is determined by the brush radius.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

You could also resample the entire layer with the Enter key, select the poly count you want, then apply it. It will convert it to voxels/surfaces depending on what you currently have the layer mode to. So if you want it to remain surfaces, for example, you'd resample, then convert it back to surface mode. It would retain the poly count you specified during resampling.

testing

2M object tris

post-10142-0-63510200-1414790821_thumb.j

after Vox Layer

post-10142-0-14786900-1414790873_thumb.j

create a 500K object tris

post-10142-0-11075000-1414790891_thumb.j

will you please attach some pics with your workflow ?

this will help to understand

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some examples

http://jayanam.com/3d-coat-hardsurface-modelling/

Let us know if the problem persists or not.