3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

3. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 273

• I wanted to open a discussion about the prospect of 3DCoat adding full integration of an Industry Standard Render Engine, without an extra addon fee. Chime in if you agree or disagree. Perhaps, Andrew will see the results and make a decision based on the community response.  So, I will ask the question directly, if 3DCoat 2025 came with a renderer such as Octane, Renderman, VRay, etc. (without additional cost)....and with it, perhaps some modest (Camera) animation functionality...how excited would you be, or would you disapprove (although bug-fixing/stability work will never stop)? Also, if you were/are someone who is looking at 3DCoat for the first time or haven't upgraded since the 4.X versions, would the integration of this Industry Standard engine persuade you to buy a license or upgrade? 
    • Pavel Geraskin said:  Hello!  I investigated the problem. H17.5 uses relative paths by default. Just make Absolute path for the node you want to export. Like this example: 
    • Hi Oleg,  What I had in mind is pretty well shown in this video, specifically from time 3:30 "embracing the object" Kind Regards Martin  
    • That was it. Thank you ! Very quick retopo tools .  And by knowing the workaround it's even better.    
    • BUG report. If I use "undo" while drawing borders with vox layer tool new layer will be empty and drawed borders will be cleared in origin layer. Bug working in 100% cases in different scenes (even in new). Also the bug working only at the voxel mode, at surface everything is fine.
    • Could you please create a new topic about this error? And it would be very useful if you recorded a short video.
    • Also, it's not related to this topic but another bug with Vox Layer. I use this for some extrusion, both outward and inward for volumes of certain thickness. It tends to fail when the painted(frozen) surface is complicated. An empty layer would be created and the frozen surface is aborted from selection. I cannot go back with Ctrl Z, either. It is a random issue. Sometimes it just happens with very simple shape. I tried Applying to Global Space, or simplifying shapes and boolean them together. It works sometimes, but this is quite annoying cuz I have to work again and again, hoping for a result.
    • that would actually be amazing! best of both worlds
    • I used Import Multiple Objects.
    • This happens because the Smooth tool is active. Never mind (will be fixed soon) just turn on any retopo tool.
    • What impresses me about Groboto and when it exports to a OBJ you get near perfect quads. And you have a lot of control and options for how dense or light the obj will be. There are NO wire mesh mess with tris. No need to retopo.
    • Thank you for the quick answer! My file is too heavy for sending via the forum. It's almost 60 mB. I can send it if you give me another way to do it. But in the meantime here are the steps. 1.- Create de main geo with voxels (8 millon polys aprox.) 2.- Open the retopo room within the same file. 3.- Begin with smart retopo (loft mode) creating 3 different poly groups 4.- Also using some times the quads command and the snap command from time to time. 5.- after the 3 first poly groups i create a fourth one and begin with the retopo without problems. Until this moment i have only saved over the same archive. Not incrementally 6.- I'm not using symmetry either. 7.- Here I made a poor Loops choice and decided to begin with the last poly group again. Delete only the new geometry and, only to be sure, re open the last saved versión of the file.  8.- I look into the other poly groups layers and the retopoed geometrý wasnt there. 9.- Tried with Ctrl Z to undo my steps but no luck. 10.- Tried laso to re open the last saved file again 11.- I decided to close the program and have some fresh air before begining again with the missing polygroups. 12.- I start 3dcoat and open the last file and all the polygroups are there. 13.- In order to know if there is a bug, I try to open again the file without re starting 3dcoat and the geometry´were gone again. Only the geometry´is missing the "Layers" of the polygroups are always there.  But sometime the have the content and sometime they don't  It was he first time I tried to use the retopo room. I use 3dcoat because of the voxels but I like a lot the organic way for treating the retopology. Best regards.  
    • Hi!  We need to look at your scene or have clear steps to repeat this mistake.
    • Hi! I recently came to a problem when trying the retopo tools. Everything was going just fine until I made a mistake in one mesh and wanted to roll back. So I re loaded My last saved scene and all the meshes (polygroups) made, before the last one with the mistake, were gone. But, if I closed 3dcoat and start again loading the scene, sometimes the polygroups were there and sometimes therer were not.  So perhaps there is an estability problem. The high poly mesh has about 8 million polys and it came directly from the sculting room. Thank you in advance.  
    • Several hotkeys are hardcoded and cannot be changed.