3DCoat Forums

Voxel sculpting ?'s from a Sculptris user

lotusindigo

I cut my teeth on Sculptris for digital sculpting, and I'm finding the 3d-Coat voxel sculpting to have a lot more features, but I'm not able to find an equivalent of the Sculptris crease tool in the voxel room. The crease tool sharply indents the surface, and the inverse creates sharp ridges. I found it very useful for things like eyelids and lips. Does 3d-Coat have a voxel tool that can do something similar? I read the voxels section of the manual but none of the tools seemed to fit that description... maybe there is a setting somewhere that I am missing.

Also... how do I invert the effects of the voxel tools? For example, how do I make the vox carve tool create gouges on the model instead of peaks? I couldn't find that information in the manual either.

Voxel "Brushes" (their Alpha shapes) have a lot to do with the effect you get from any of the Voxel Tools, themselves.

"Crease" really means different things to different people, in the CG sculpting world, but you can get a sharp, pointed ridge or a steeply sloping "canyon" by using the 3rd Brush Alpha from the right in the Alpha Palette. Try a few of the general Voxel tools to see the effect of each. Indentations can be made by holding down "Ctrl" while painting with the left mouse button down.

Voxel resolution has a lot to do with the smoothness of these "creases". Make sure you have enough resolution (Res+ in Tool Palette) for the smoothest crease details - but don't start with a high resolution voxel mesh - rather add resolution only as needed.

Greg Smith

• Contributor

I cut my teeth on Sculptris for digital sculpting, and I'm finding the 3d-Coat voxel sculpting to have a lot more features, but I'm not able to find an equivalent of the Sculptris crease tool in the voxel room. The crease tool sharply indents the surface, and the inverse creates sharp ridges. I found it very useful for things like eyelids and lips. Does 3d-Coat have a voxel tool that can do something similar? I read the voxels section of the manual but none of the tools seemed to fit that description... maybe there is a setting somewhere that I am missing.

Also... how do I invert the effects of the voxel tools? For example, how do I make the vox carve tool create gouges on the model instead of peaks? I couldn't find that information in the manual either.

In Liveclay set of brushes there is CreaseClay brush. Some people don't like it but I find it work great.

To access surface mode you need to press the V icon beside your voxel layer (or the cube icon in earlier betas)

here is an example of working with CreaseClay

post-1195-0-45336600-1341968365_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

Since you cut your teeth in Sculptris, then you will be happy to know that 3DCoat has dynamic tessellation as well using the LiveClay brushes in Surface mode.

In the preferences menu, be sure to check "show beta tools" otherwise you will not see the LC brushes in surface mode.

Also in the left top corner of the menu Check "remove stretching" This will remove stretching of the polygons using the regular surface brushes.

Surface Mode is polygon base not voxels, so just know that your fine details will be lost if you go back to voxel mode unless your increase your voxel resolution.

I wholeheartedly agree with artman, the crease tool is a very LC powerful brush and the surface mode pinch brush as well. I use a few different alphas with them depending upon what I'm working on,..

I use these two brushes all the time to get sharp edges even with lower polygon models...

If you want to use the lasted beta with some interface changes and the quality of the brush strokes got a big improvement a few version ago.

Link:

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=8887

Thank you both for your help! I didn't even think of the alpha brushes.

Artman, I couldn't find the Liveclay tools in surface mode. There were the surface tools, adjust, commands, and that's it. There's no "LC" section for me like there is in that picture.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, here is a very low quick sculpt to define some sharp edges. 55,000 polygons only in surface mode. I'm just adding to what artman has said already. :D

Of course it is a little rough around the edges that low so you know you can get very sharp and clean work higher and really, it does not have to be a zillion polygons.

LC Crease and Surface mode Pinch brushes were used.

I found short strokes and a large falloff work well for the crease brush plus I do not use the default alphas...

post-518-0-16484600-1341983479_thumb.jpe