3DCoat Forums

The next generation of PCs is about to arrive - up to 50% faster!

Every couple of years computer hardware shifts up a gear and the next shift is about to arrive. New motherboards, new processors and a new RAM format could see performance increases of 50% or more.

September will see the release of a new generation of PC hardware that could improve the performance of high-end systems by a huge amount.

This new hardware will be expensive at first, but for power-hungry gamers and multimedia professionals the performance gains should be well worth it.

More...

1d9a33d11ed57ea93d90495bbcf425d2_XL.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Intel should be on 12 cores (24threads w/ Hyper-threading) by now, but with AMD dropping out of the high-end market a few years ago, performance improvements from Intel are just going to be a slow trickle...when it was like a firehose at full blast. This is why I've turned my attention to GPU renderers, rather than spend big $$$ on just 20-30% improvements in CPUs after 4yrs. I'm not impressed by this. I generally don't upgrade unless there is at least a 100% improvement in performance with the new hardware. The CPU should be at least twice as fast as what I'm currently using. Same with a graphic card.

Is there any viable potential replacement for silicon ? duno

anyway...

We need to wait some time to buy desktop laptop with 4096 Cores  :D

IBM cracks open a new era of computing with brain-like chip: 4096 cores, 1 million neurons, 5.4 billion transistors

SATA Express just seems like a stopgap measure until development on the next 'real' sata standard is completed, at least from what I've read about it.

RAM speed is something I've never felt limited by before, not even once, so DDR4 seems completely unimportant to me.

The new 8 core CPUs should be nice for rendering, but I'll wait till they hit sub-$500 prices.

Personally, I'm more interested in OLED PC screens becoming widely available then any other hardware (color accuracy ftw). There are a few on the market already, but they're craaaazy expensive.

Is there any viable potential replacement for silicon ? duno

Graphene (aka. the 'miracle material') maybe, at least it's the most promising potential silicon replacement atm.

• Contributor

It's not possible yet... But I'm sure they will come up with some workaround to this problem.
Anyway, I believe it will take another 10-20 years (or even more) until we see first customer-grade graphene based microchips that we can afford. Be it graphene-silicone hybrids, or chips that would completely ditch the silicone.

• Advanced Member

i dunno about 3 years ago computers got to a point where i don't really feel a need for more speed. 9for my work anyway)

especially now with render farms available at very reasonable prices.

Only reason im gonna update is really because my current set up is just embarrassing now =)

judging from benchmarks i should get a 120% increase on the cpu and should get a 100% increase on GPU rendering ( still need to pick a gpu rendering engine though..)

For 3 years, and updating from a low end i5, to a decent i7, that does seem kinda disappointing.. but i guess i'll get an sli board and just stick some extra GPU's in there later.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

well this is nice. I guess i'll just sit and wait till this makes financial sense :)

Yeah. I generally don't bother upgrading a component unless/until the current generation is at least twice as fast....and within budget. I'm still using a 3-4yr old i7 970. It has 6cores/12threads just like most of the current top Intel CPU's. Got it comfortably overclocked to 4Ghz. You can see a comparison here:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-970-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4930K

To upgrade to a current i7 model, I'd have to spend about $800+ just on the CPU and Motherboard....for about 20-30% better performance. What a rip-off. Intel is dragging it's heels because of a lack of competition. The only way to make them get their act together, is to stop paying $$$ for their paltry "new" CPU's. And 8-Core for $1k isn't going to get me excited enough to crack open the wallet. Sorry. Try a 12-core and maybe I'll part with my money, then. :)

• 2 weeks later...

PCs have just received a big speed boost. Here's our guide to the new chipsets

Haswell, Xeon & Core Demystified - Part One. Guest author Rakesh Malik sheds light on the latest Intel chipsets, their capabilities and their suitability for video applications.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what the differences are between Core and Xeon processors. There’s also a lot of confusion about what precisely Haswell is, and hence uncertainty about whether or not it’s a good choice for media applications as compared to, for example, Ivy Bridge... or Xeon. There are a lot of options as far as processors go nowadays, and even Haswell itself is available in so many variants that it’s easy to get lost.

• Advanced Member

I'm ready for the next breakthrough, Petahertz computing.  :)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143597-pushing-computers-towards-petahertz-with-femtosecond-lasers-and-weird-dielectrics

There's a couple of technologies in the run for the next big thing.. Quantum computing, 3D Gates, new exotic materials, cpus/gpus with laser light gates.. 

Exciting times..

• Advanced Member

and the GPUs are powerful enough to render high-definition and now even 4K video without significantly taxing the host CPU — the market for ultra-high-end processors and graphics cards has become a niche, primarily limited to content creators and hardcore gamers.

this is actually really sad, coz normal people now get pretty much zero benefit from faster processors, which explains why we are seeing this miniscule increases.. there is no money in it.

im afraid its all gonna go the way of the concorde.. yeah we can go london to NYC in 2.5 hours, but not enough people are willing to pay for it to make it viable and eventually cheap.. so we sit 6 hours on a plane instead..