3DCoat Forums

How can edit Polys of a Petex textured model?

sculptactive

• Advanced Member

I have have textured a model imported into 3DC for texturing.

I have realised that some parts of the model need to be reshaped. I could export a low poly model with ptex textures,

edit in Modo import it back into 3DC then import back in the ptex textures, but that seems long winded.

There must be an easy way to do it in 3DC.  For example I want to taper the end of this model.......

Taper_zpsrpxbrzub.jpg

From paint mode I have tried various things like hitting the sculpt tap but the model just disappears so I am missing

a step and in the Tweak tap the tools are limited.

Any advice of the best work flow appreciated.

• Reputable Contributor

When you import a model into the paint room no reference voxel or surface mode object is created.

Tweak room is indeed limited. Andrew has not updated it in a long time.

Maybe Andrew will do some updating there but I bet that would wait till he gives us more polygon tools in the retopo room. Just a guess though.

There is a way to what you ask in 3DC but I think it would be as fast to bring the model back to Modo and do it there as the below is nearly the same thing.

Import the model as a surface mode object. Import the low polygon model as your retopo mesh. Use the move or transform tool with "Conform Retopo Mesh" (top tool bar) selected. Now as you taper the end of the object the retopo mesh will move with it.

Return to the retopo room and use the regular retopo tools to even out the polygons that were moved.

Export.

How this effects the ptex textures, I not know. I have never tested...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation.

I will export to modo, edit then import back into 3DC.

Digman is right, but in your case, you can easily modify it with the SELECT/TRANSFORM tool in the Tweak Room. Once you choose that tool, the Tool Options panel pops up with different selection options and then options to clear the selection, expand or contract and so on. And with a selection made, you have the option to perform basic transform operations to it.

You could also just tweak it a bit with the MOVE tool, just as you would use the tool of the same name in the Sculpt Room.

• Advanced Member

Digman is right, but in your case, you can easily modify it with the SELECT/TRANSFORM tool in the Tweak Room. Once you choose that tool, the Tool Options panel pops up with different selection options and then options to clear the selection, expand or contract and so on. And with a selection made, you have the option to perform basic transform operations to it.

You could also just tweak it a bit with the MOVE tool, just as you would use the tool of the same name in the Sculpt Room.

Thanks, but where is the SELECT/TRANSFORM ?

I can find the Select/Move tool options, but that's it.

3DC 4.1.17D

Tweak_zpsoxardcqf.jpg

Edited by sculptactive