3DCoat Forums

Tools: surface connectivity

ajz3d

• Contributor

Most of the tools in the Sculpt Room (if not all) and the Brush tool in the Retopo Room affect all faces that are caught within the brush radius. The brush acts like a volumetric sphere that will edit everything that is inside its falloff radius. In many cases it makes working with certain areas of the sculpture or a model very difficult or even impossible. I am thinking about regions like lips and other similar narrow openings and areas where two surfaces intersect.

This animated GIF depicts the problem using Move tool as an example:

post-12523-0-24646400-1433760528_thumb.g

As you can see, I can't move the lower area without affecting the upper one and vice-versa.

What I suggest, is to introduce some sort of additional brushing algorithm that would use surface continuity for determining geometry to be affected by currently selected tool. The algorithm, before altering the geometry, would look up what face/vertex lies under the centre of the brush and grow the selection of components to be affected according to their surface connectivity. Then it would modify this selection by alpha of the brush.

post-12523-0-73347600-1433761036_thumb.j

(blue colour indicates the geometry that will be affected by the tool)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

100% this. I think this explains a lot of problems i have. would also eliminate the need for freezing in many cases.

plz plz plz.

should make a trello card for this.

• Contributor

Unfortunately, my Trello user either doesn't have privileges to add new cards or I don't know how to add one. I can only vote on existing cards.

If it's okay, I can create a feature request on Mantis.

Never mind. I'm writing the Mantis request now. :rofl:

Edited by ajz3d

• 2 weeks later...