3DCoat Forums

Photo to normal map creation

philnolan3d

I brought this up in another thread a long time ago, but I still think it would be and extremely good addition to 3DC. Creating a normal map from a Photo. If you're making a material you need matching normal, color, and spec maps. The only way to really create those is to go to a program like Crazybump (if you want good ones) which is crazy expensive for what it does. But why go to another program at all when you could do it right here in 3DC? I believe it's something Andrew could do.

• Advanced Member

This is an expensive feature. Maybe Andrew can make it as a small separate application. So what Pilgway has will be 3 products:

1. Pilgway 3D-Coat

2. Pilgway Tree generator

3. Pilgway bumpmap generator

Of course, the price should follow Pligway's tradition, reasonable.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Why would it need to be a seperate app? I think i read tree generator is going to be part of 3d coat also at some point. It could just have a extra window/tab for it in my opinion, you would only need a new app if you wanted it to be complex in features but really it is just a 2d effect/convertion of the original image so there is probably algos/maths online for it somewhere.

ShaderMap is a far less expensive option than Crazybump though. If you need just bumps (maybe normals also) i have also seen a website online also that does it for free and there might be others but i never needed it so i don't know the url sorry. NVIDIA also offers some free normal map tools but i think it was a photoshop plugin rather than a program.

FYI The tree generator has always been a part of 3DC, you just change a line of code in the config file and 3DC becomes the tree generator. Andrew just made a stand-alone version for convenience.

Over the past couple of days I've been going over the nVidia tools, Crazy Bump, and Shadermap Pro. nVidia and SMP have almost exactly the same results while CB is about 10 steps above. The nVidia tools, I have found in the past, can be good if you hand paint the texture in strong black and white tones, then use the filter. But I don't find it very good for photographs.

• Advanced Member

I wish those 3 parts as separate apps. 3DC is adding more and more features, that's good. But at the same time, the workflow is becoming mess. Sometimes I even think some existing features and items should be cut off, while focus on improve the left tools, keep a clear workflow and ease of use.

It's true that the workflow is a little mess now, otherwise there won't be so many confused users here everyday.

Personally I don't want 3DC to go to the direction of an All IN ONE tool. Just focus on what it does.

Anyway this is only my personal opinion. The direction will be always determined by Andrew and most of the customers.

:)

• Contributor

I wish those 3 parts as separate apps. 3DC is adding more and more features, that's good. But at the same time, the workflow is becoming mess. Sometimes I even think some existing features and items should be cut off, while focus on improve the left tools, keep a clear workflow and ease of use.

It's true that the workflow is a little mess now, otherwise there won't be so many confused users here everyday.

Personally I don't want 3DC to go to the direction of an All IN ONE tool. Just focus on what it does.

Anyway this is only my personal opinion. The direction will be always determined by Andrew and most of the customers.

:)

+1 Although, at this point I know of nothing I want to "cut off".

• Advanced Member

I like programs with lots of options myself as it means im not constantly opening another just do do a certain task or buying loads of stuff because i need to do something a program does not offer yet want to use that as the main app. I agree that programs can become a mess though when they do this however it is avoided by a smart GUI setup showing only the main stuff needed but with tabs, sub menus etc in the background to allow much more complex things when needed. Some programs do this well in the form of labs, plugins and designer tools much like what the tree generator is now so you have everything needed and can customize it but you just select it via a menu and won't see it unless you need.

Actually the tree generator I can understand if it's kept separate, it has nothing to do with the main purpose of the application and is kind of a niche tool that many people may never use. However the normal map tool I suggested is something that can be used in just about every texturing project. If it was built in generated maps could be sent directly to the Material creator.

• 4 years later...

I brought this up in another thread a long time ago, but I still think it would be and extremely good addition to 3DC. Creating a normal map from a Photo. If you're making a material you need matching normal, color, and spec maps. The only way to really create those is to go to a program like Crazybump (if you want good ones) which is crazy expensive for what it does. But why go to another program at all when you could do it right here in 3DC? I believe it's something Andrew could do.

The another thread

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2060&hl=crazybump

I think it would be and extremely good addition to 3DC. Creating a normal map/ AO / etc... from a Photo.

+1