3DCoat Forums

Rachel from YouTube

philnolan3d

I don't know how else to name this thread.  :rofl:   I had the idea to do a photo-real model of a red headed girl but I couldn't find good reference. Then I remembered Rachel from her My Husband Is Japanese YouTube channel.  She was kind enough to shoot and send me reference pics of herself! Front, side, and 3/4.  I couldn't believe how nice that was.  Anyway here's an early WIP,  I just started yesterday.

post-466-0-42682500-1395692259_thumb.jpg

Here're the photos she sent me (shrunken for the forum)

post-466-0-04146300-1395701049_thumb.jpg

I went further with it and threw some hair on just for the render.  Rachel is super excited by it so now I have to do a good job.  Unless anyone has any major suggestions I'll be starting to add finer details like lip wrinkles and cracks before moving on to retopo.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm no expert at it but what really helps is having these 3 reference images. I asked her to shoot them with no makeup, hair pulled back, and a neutral facial expression. One problem I had when I tried to do Bruce Willis was finding pictures of him from these angles where he wasn't smiling or talking. I think the middle 3/4 photo is critcal as it helps to keep the head from looking boxy with like a hard corner going down the sides of the face.  I really tried to look at it from all angles, focusing on the sillhouette and trying to make sure it matched the photos as best I could. Other than that studying some anatomy helps fill it some of the parts that you can't see in the photo due to lighting, hair, etc.

• Advanced Member

Hi Phil,

Looks awesome, the only things I can see to make suggestions on are the curves under the eye:

- The bottom eyelid going up into the outside corner of her eye is a little steeper in the photo than it is in your sculpt

- In the side view sculpt the "bags" under her eyes don't come down as far as they do in the photo (notice in the front photo how they have an almost circular shape)

But apart from those trivial things, it looks pretty dead on to me, and of course once you start texturing it that'll make it look even better.

Some texures painted on. Just transferred from the photos she gave. Will have to tweak some more in Photoshop I think.  Trying to decide what to do about the hair in the texture, since I will be doing real FiberFX hair in LightWave of course.

post-466-0-56857200-1396073884_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Some texures painted on. Just transferred from the photos she gave. Will have to tweak some more in Photoshop I think.  Trying to decide what to do about the hair in the texture, since I will be doing real FiberFX hair in LightWave of course.

attachicon.gifrachel_wip_03.jpg

Phil, you might consider doing the Lightwave hair on top of what you create in 3DC using splines taken from the 3DC topology.

LightWave does make hair guides from 2-point poly chains (splines) but I'm not sure how I would get them out of 3DC. I did a quick test using LightWave's own hair tools, not bothering with style or anything, just trying to get the color and look of the hair itself right.

post-466-13962107699352_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

When you have modeled the hair and retopoed it you can make the edge flow with the flow of the hair (sort of like a wig) but the splines would enable a more natural transition between the hair model and the skull.

To get better references try to avoid camera perspectives. Try to get isometric like templates.

Means: Try to make photos from a far distance. The far a camera is, the more the images get isometric style. This is mutch better for creating 3d heads from photos. You will get a much better feeling for the proportions.

Another point: Try to capture two versions of your references:

1. One picture with much/hard shadows. The shadows helps you to get a better image of the heads surface and shape.

2. One picture with ambient light and as less shadows as possible. Those are for the textures. Do it for example in a very bright room or take photos on a cloudy day outside of your house.

Best wishes

Chris

I didn't have much control over the reference pictures. Since she was doing me, practically a total stranger, a favor I wasn't about to be picky. She took the pics herself just holding the camera in her hands and using a window for light. I think it came out pretty good considering.

Here are some renders with hair though.

post-466-0-28869000-1396679311_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-41678200-1396679316_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-94120800-1396679320_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...