3DCoat Forums

Please partner with someone to release a 3d coat learning course

cj31387

5 minutes of using 3d coat and It blows zbrush out of the water in every aspect in my opinion. I would really like to use 3d coat, but I want to master it if I do. Back when I was 16 years old I started modeling with 3ds max and I tought myself completely. Theres a lot of things I didnt learn in 3ds max because I taught myself, and now I don't even like max, I wish I would have learned blender because blender will always be free, open source and updated.

As for 3d Coat I find the E panel EXTREMELY awesome and 3d coat in general is very quick and easy to concept scuplt hard surface models, which I've always liked FAR more than characters. I cant stand character modeling. 90% of game assets are enviroment models, characters are added at the end.

But back to the point. I really like 3d coat and want to learn it, but I dont want to teach my self. Like i said i missed a lot of things in max doing it myself. To this day I don't know how to uvw map correctly, yet I know how to use a lot of max's tools to just plain model. There really needs to be a ground up from beginner to pro course on learning 3d coat (preferably a video course) or a good 3d coat bible book. I've had people say just watch the youtube site. But those are all in random order. I really think a from basics to pro series should be made. So someone please make it. I've actually considered buying the javis jones teaching but they seem way too high in price for how old they are.

I don't know why I posted this since I don't think it will happen any time soon. The best way to learn 3d coat I see is going through the manual. But what topics should I start with first. Should I practice sculpting something then uvw mapping it then retopologizing it. Or retopo first then uvw map. What models could I make as exercises to re-inforce what I am learning the best. What things should I know about texturing, are there tools for lightmaping before you texture. What are workflows I should know of. By the way is there any way to extend the 3d coat trial until I am at least past the beginner stage and want to buy the full version?

my point of view

- voxel sculpt for conceptual 3d sketch -no more that 300/1M polys-

- surface sculpt for mediun detail - no more than 1M/3M polys-

- Live Clay for fine detail

if the model is in surface mode... you can vertexpaint it in paint room for fast shape color sketch

then retopo room...

baking tools (3DC use the term merge for it)

final paint detail at paint room

-----------------------------

Nice reading about another user experience

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15209&hl=

• Contributor

I don't know why I posted this since I don't think it will happen any time soon. The best way to learn 3d coat I see is going through the manual. But what topics should I start with first. Should I practice sculpting something then uvw mapping it then retopologizing it. Or retopo first then uvw map. What models could I make as exercises to re-inforce what I am learning the best. What things should I know about texturing, are there tools for lightmaping before you texture. What are workflows I should know of. By the way is there any way to extend the 3d coat trial until I am at least past the beginner stage and want to buy the full version?

Ask precise question about what your issues are.

I will answer it the best I can (but my area of "expertise" is mainly sculpt though).

I can't give answer to general question, 3dcoat is such a particular program that can't be done if you're not using specific questions.

As for tutorials, the one in the official 3dcoat channel in youtube are a really nice start imo.

I really think a from basics to pro series should be made. So someone please make it.

I would love to, but It's not so simple. Most of us (including me) have day jobs, I record videos when I can. Recording videos might seem easy and quick, but they take quite a long time to plan out, record, edit, market and so on. That is, if you want a good quality video.

I've actually considered buying the javis jones teaching but they seem way too high in price for how old they are.

Old? I guess that depends on if you're born in the 90s or before! LOL I have scaled the prices recently based on how relevant they still are. For example, the retopology room hasn't changed at all, so that video still stands as is in price and relevance. For the hard surface video, it still stands, more or less the same way. Only recently have some changes happened to auto retopology, and once that feature is no longer beta, I will scale the price accordingly, and make an addendum for the video.

But saying old equates to it being less relevant and the price to be lower? I respectfully disagree. :)

That also said, the videos on my youtube and vimeo channels (which used to be the official channels until they gave that task to someone else), are in chronological order, not random. Give it a go if you haven't checked them out yet. There are a ton of other vimeo/youtube channels out there with 3DC stuff, psionic's channel is a great resource, too.

Anyway, like BK said, ask away, this forum is a great resource for learning. IMHO, in many ways better than a video ever could be. We are all here to help each other out and will try to answer your questions.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Cheers!

I really must be tripping, about 2 months ago I could have sworn the javis jones complete series was $200. Now its $92. Far better. Also yeah Im blaming you for how fast 3d coat changes which is wrong. But to me it seems like 3d coat is changing less now, and is closer to being "Complete".

What I want to do is eventually master 3d coat. I would like to start with modeling images of props on google.

Sculpting, and common workflows

Retopologizing - Have like no experience with this

UVW mapping - Have 0 experience with this.

Then the best ways to texture and finish the model

I want to do this all in 3d coat.

Yep, it's definitely much cheaper. I can't recall exactly when I changed the prices, 4-5 mo. ago maybe. Naw, I totally hear you on how fast 3DC changes. It's just the nature of the game. It adds another dimension of (unfortunately severe with video in mind) complexity to recording videos. But it has slowed, which I am thankful for. It's time for more bug fixes and maybe a few minor features to be added. But I'd rather see more bug fixes and enhancements made, rather than features.

I've gotten so many ideas written down for videos, at this point it's just a matter of having time to do them (and not hitting bugs when recording that halts the recording process, LOL).

I think all of the free retopo videos would get you up to speed with retopo.

UV mapping - I always neglect this, because for years I did UV mapping exclusively on small projects for people who didn't want to UV map their models. I have something in the pipe for UV mapping, but it's not 3DC unfortunately.

Texturing, for me, is really all about what gets the job done, looks good, and is easy to edit during and and come back toafter the fact you've finished the job and can easily read what is going on. If it meets those requirements, I think you've done a good job. For the painting process itself I feel it requires lots of time spent painting and texture painting. But I think I could condense a small project for texture painting.

Anyway, your thoughts are not far from what I want to do, it's really just a matter of time to do it. I get the feeling though, after this current project I may have some time to record videos again. :)