3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

3. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 275

• yea painter and marmoset give same results so its not just 3dcoat its the uvs trying to baking multiple shadows on a mirrored uv
    • its just light baking onto a mesh thats using mirror uvs .. i dont think any texturing or baking software does it too so its not just a 3dcoat thing but i will check for you
    • Looks like scan depth is not enough, set 5 or 10 (in and out).
    • Can I ask you for more details about this problem?
    • It's very different than the Autopo Coat now has. I quite like it can automatically ajust density to hold more details and crisp edges while giving me clean loops and Quads.To me, the only two problems, in a concept art workflow, are the tedious process and the risk of broken faces.
    • Simplified Export it is not helpful ?
    • I've applied 3Dcoat's auto-retopo many times in my projects. Both autopo algorithms are great with some drawbacks. I found that Coat's built-in Autopo has better edge flow and control of density than Instant Mesh, so it is a better option for hard surface. But it also has a higher possibility of broken faces. And one crucial problem for me as a concept worker is it's much slower than Instant Mesh. When working with one object it's not very obvious, just a few seconds. But usually I'll have to work with a vehicle or a building with dozens of little components. That will be a very deadly time consuming process if I'll have to click autopo again and again and wait every 30 seconds in between. I could really use a function to autopo many objects at once. I know currently I need to type in a required number of polygons for Autopo to work. But I am thinking maybe a option to lower the poly count to a certain ratio, just like Decimate (by test, I think 3%-4% would be enough for autopo. The model can hold enough detail after a proper bake with normal map) can be added so a Multiple Autopo becomes possible, and we dont need to spend time waiting and repeating clicks. And again, I dont mind if this process take some time. It will be fine if it runs in the background and I can do some other jobs.   Another way I found other concept artists using is decimate in Coat. Then decimate again in Blender. Then Bake in SP. This workflow works well but it generates messy Tris and Ngons, which is why I would really like to do all these process in Coat.
    • thank you for your reply. I'll try to respond the way you said. I hope this improves.
    • Thanks Carlos but the issue I feel is with the Blender version 4+.  Using the Blender 3+ everything works fine. Has soon as you go to version Blender 4 it fails. I did the step above and nothing. LOL that onedrive is dangerous and intrusive.
    • 3dcoat has had trouble baking light or AO or a mirrored model... quick fix , half your model, bake the light /AO export the textures and then bring in your actual mesh and place those textures in and it will work fine , you can also not bake using render rooms lighting etc and it will generate proper lights and AO but will be default top down 
    • This is not the correct steps to transfer to Paint Room The steps are Sculpt room > Retopo room > bake > Paint room. Paint tweak and uv works over the same mesh type. Retopo and modeling room works over the same mesh type. Sculpt works over surface and voxel meshes. At this stage the best way for you is to export the model from uv room as obj or fbx, import into Retopo and the from there Bake for PPP to transfer the mesh with UVs to Paint room to texture it. Take a look to understand the process:  
    • Hello, So I wanted to  make a UV map manually, it looks beautiful in the UV room but when I go to the texture room and try to fill the spaces it is just ugly. I managed to fill one part in red but that is it.  The other paint strokes were for autotpo and I'm not sure how to erase those yet. This applies to painter too,  I have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be amazing! --Joshua
    • Yes, you can assign a hotkey for this.
    • Sorry, this step is valid for version 2024+   Follow this walkthrough. Hope this help.  
    • Non destructive Subdivision surfaces.  Does the modeling shader have to be stuck in X-ray?  With multiple polygons selected with the select/transform I should be able to use a hotkey toggle to get the gizmo to align to a particular normal on the model. It would also be nice if would snap to the surface. Should be able to set it to world axis, object axis, component axis.      
    • I have a question about ambient occlusion when UVs overlap. When I checked the Ambient Occlusion output results of a model with overlapping UVs and a model with no overlap, there was a difference. The version is 2024.17. This result can be a little inconvenient in certain situations. Is there a setting that would give this output the same result?
    • I'm Lost here. I'm on Windows 11 and 3D coat version 4.9.72. There's no Start and no My3dcoatData. Where do I find the place to change the Path? Thanks! Edit: Blender 3.6.1 works fine. 3D coat is written in the same place. Yet I can pull back with that version its only Blender 4.1 that it fails.