3DCoat Forums

How to achieve solid brush strokes with hard edges

Magian

Is there a way to make the edges of brush strokes very hard? No matter what I try there seems to be some transparency falloff similar to anti-aliasing on all brush strokes. Additionally, I am having trouble making a solid line with the brush. When I hold my left mouse button down and drag the brush across the mesh the cursor flashes and the line that is drawn is more like a dotted line.

Am I perhaps using the wrong tool or can this be done with the brush tool?

Here is an example showing a quick line drawn across the mesh. The brush being used is a circle exported from Illustrator.

post-524-1200893814_thumb.jpg

Please help.

At firt, you can inctrease transparency up to 10 or more to get hard edges of pen. Click on numerical value and enter the new one.

At second, if you add new pen and want to draw with a solid line you should uncheck option "draw by spots" in options of this pen or set "use spacing" option. There is some difference, you can test it manually.

At third, the mesh resolution should correspond to texture size if you want to get good quality that correspond to your texture size. 1M of polygons corresponds to texture 1K x 1K, 4M - 2K x 2K.

At firt, you can inctrease transparency up to 10 or more to get hard edges of pen. Click on numerical value and enter the new one.

At second, if you add new pen and want to draw with a solid line you should uncheck option "draw by spots" in options of this pen or set "use spacing" option. There is some difference, you can test it manually.

At third, the mesh resolution should correspond to texture size if you want to get good quality that correspond to your texture size. 1M of polygons corresponds to texture 1K x 1K, 4M - 2K x 2K.

So does this mean that if I have everything set up correctly I should be able to get a solid line with very hard edges? If I am not getting a solid line with hard edges then that means I must be doing something wrong?

I will try everything when I get home tonight (though I know I have already adjusted the transparency and I have already unchecked "draw by spots").

By the way, thank you very much for your responses.

From the looks of your screen shot, your texture isn't high enough resolution or your UV map isn't using enough UV space efficiently which is why your painting is coming out blotchy and blurred at the edges (pixelated) and explains why switching off draw by spots has no effect.

From the looks of your screen shot, your texture isn't high enough resolution or your UV map isn't using enough UV space efficiently which is why your painting is coming out blotchy and blurred at the edges (pixelated) and explains why switching off draw by spots has no effect.

Thank you very much for the response. I will start with a new project this evening, re-import the .obj file and specify the resolution on import.

However, one problem that I have already had when exporting this file was that the large texture sizes were bogging down Carrara Studio after importing the file. So I had already reduced the file to 1024x1024 using Photoshop, and if I recall correctly the original texture size was 2048x2048. I would think that this size of a texture should definitely be large enough to allow for crisp, detailed texturing.

Also, when painting over the texture using Illustrator the details end up being very sharp, which to me indicates that the resolution for the texture map is definitely high enough. I am not sure of the number of polygons in the mesh but I smoothed it twice, collapsed the mesh and exported. I will try Administrator's methodology of matching the texture size to the number of polygons when I get home.

Something just doesn't make sense, though...