3DCoat Forums

a Few more UV tool requests

simmsimaging

• Advanced Member

1) Point to point edge selection. the current shift-click system is okay in some cases, but breaks down in others (as has been pointed out, at quad/tri boundaries etc.) Point to point will make for very quick selection on odd shapes and complex topologies.

2) Added unwrap tools:

- At current the ability to take an edge loop/ring and make it "horizontal' or "vertical" is cool, but without a tension/soft selection mechanism it just creates a lot of stretching. An added ability to redistribute the polygons once an edge has been straightened would fix that.

Unfold3D had that capability and it was hugely useful (it also had a good point to point selection system)

/b

• Advanced Member

Hi Brett,

I hope I may further add here:

I wished that one could use all tools from the E-Panel (Brush-Operations) which make sense.

It for instance would be nice if one could create a Marque (rectangle) selection for Border-Edges. Every edge which was entirely included in the Rectangle got selected.

I also run into View Clipping Problems when zooming into Models very closely. That may be avoided when working in Parallel-Projection.

It was cool if that could be tuned up.

• Advanced Member

Also it would help if the Brush-Radius got respected when selecting Edges by single-clicking.

In the attached image the vertical Edge should not get selected - or at least not easily get selected.

The Tool should prefer small clicked Edges which fit the Search-Radius.

That again would help with CAD-Files.

post-575-0-41269800-1335283151_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I wished that one could use all tools from the E-Panel (Brush-Operations) which make sense.

It for instance would be nice if one could create a Marque (rectangle) selection for Border-Edges. Every edge which was entirely included in the Rectangle got selected.

I also run into View Clipping Problems when zooming into Models very closely. That may be avoided when working in Parallel-Projection.

It was cool if that could be tuned up.

+ 1 on both. The first one especially - I recall asking about that before too.

• Advanced Member

Also it would help if the Brush-Radius got respected when selecting Edges by single-clicking.

In the attached image the vertical Edge should not get selected - or at least not easily get selected.

The Tool should prefer small clicked Edges which fit the Search-Radius.

That again would help with CAD-Files.

I think that might create problems too - when you have really long edges you are trying to select that are surrounded by small ones. I think the problem could be solved already with the point-to-point option added, then you would just need to use a smaller brush and click twice to cover that whole line of small edges.

• Advanced Member

I think that might create problems too - when you have really long edges you are trying to select that are surrounded by small ones. I think the problem could be solved already with the point-to-point option added, then you would just need to use a smaller brush and click twice to cover that whole line of small edges.

You are probably right.

I would like to request a feature "Isolate NGons/Tri/Quad/By # of Sides to topology tools. It's great that it let's me know when I have an NGon somewhere on my mesh.. would be even better if I could push 1 button and have all NGons highlighted so I could easily locate and fix them!

• Advanced Member

I would like to request a feature "Isolate NGons/Tri/Quad/By # of Sides to topology tools. It's great that it let's me know when I have an NGon somewhere on my mesh.. would be even better if I could push 1 button and have all NGons highlighted so I could easily locate and fix them!

When you say topology tools, I assume your talking about the retopo room where this feature is found.

Retopo > Select faces > Select N-gons

It would be cool if we could, after activating CustomizeUI, drag menu items to other areas such as the tools palette, so that it's a button there. In the interim, you can just set up a hot key so triangles/quads/N-gons are immediately selected. This would be less cluttering as well.