3DCoat Forums

Trying the demo, v impressed. made a gubbinz.

strangelet3345

thankyou ^.^ 

its about 12 million tris, a few dif objects. done all in vox mode,

as for the texturing pffffft i just picked a couple of presets and tried out the text wrap tool.

3d coat basically operates itself :P

this was part of a trio of models i knocked up to be icons for engine mod items (player customizable starfighters - www.affuniverse.com)

3d coat chewed up the task of making some cool incrementally badass looking engines. you cn see where i just went *OMG TWO INTAKES ARE BETTER THAN ONE*

3.jpg

its a shame, they will only be 384 pixels wide ingame :P

i have been modelling in c4d, max, maya, zbrush and substance for quite some time now, i thought i'd check out how our eastern friends roll, and i'm loving it so far. it's hard to match the magic insta-quality of zbrush, but i'm finding ways of doing all my old favourite tricks and a lot more. 

oh my god, this thing can draw a straight line! i think i will buy it for that alone, and voxels are somuchfun.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

awwwww.  was just about to hit the buy button when i found out that 3dc non-pro is limited to 7 layers. oh well, back to zbrush and painter :(

ps - the mesh at the back, with the holes in it - was an extruded and detatched voxel layer which i used a mask image of those holes to cut into. 

Edited by strangelet3345

• Advanced Member

awwwww.  was just about to hit the buy button when i found out that 3dc non-pro is limited to 7 layers. oh well, back to zbrush and painter :(

ps - the mesh at the back, with the holes in it - was an extruded and detatched voxel layer which i used a mask image of those holes to cut into. 

painting layers?

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, that's just paint layers, and you can work around that without a lot of fuss. The EDU-Non-Commercial license isn't intended to compete with ZBrush and Substance Painter...both of which are substantially higher in cost than 3D Coat's Professional version.

I'm not sure why that would factor in to going back to ZB anyway. ZB doesn't even have paint layers, at least it didn't the last time I used it. :)

• 1 month later...

so. i did decide to buy it in the end. thanks for mentioning that it was only paint layers that are limited, pilgway needs to be clear about that!

now i just need to find time away from pushing polygons at work - to push polygons and voxels at home ^.^

also about zbrush - i'm still pretty unimpressed with the quality of 3dc's sculpting. it must be tremendously difficult to get it smooth and responsive like the guys at pixologic have done - probably its a fundamental difference of approach - but the fact remains that zbrush is incredibly smooth and fast for freehand and sculpting.

of course, they are also batcrap crazy and have reinvented so many things in bizarre ways that it took me a year to learn the app. 3dc is so SENSIBLE, and i love it for that. hopefully 3dc's core responsiveness will improve, but its less critical operations like all the cutting and masking and drawing curves are easily the best in any hipoly app.

i foresee a happy union of all the software, as long as things stay nicely compatible.

Edited by strangelet3345
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

make sure you're in surface mode, and try the brush presets on the right. They are much smoother than what you get by default by clicking on the brushes. its quite stunning, sometimes feels like its a different app :)

thankyou ^.^ 

its about 12 million tris, a few dif objects. done all in vox mode,

as for the texturing pffffft i just picked a couple of presets and tried out the text wrap tool.

3d coat basically operates itself :P

this was part of a trio of models i knocked up to be icons for engine mod items (player customizable starfighters - www.affuniverse.com)

3d coat chewed up the task of making some cool incrementally badass looking engines. you cn see where i just went *OMG TWO INTAKES ARE BETTER THAN ONE*

3.jpg

its a shame, they will only be 384 pixels wide ingame :P

i have been modelling in c4d, max, maya, zbrush and substance for quite some time now, i thought i'd check out how our eastern friends roll, and i'm loving it so far. it's hard to match the magic insta-quality of zbrush, but i'm finding ways of doing all my old favourite tricks and a lot more. 

oh my god, this thing can draw a straight line! i think i will buy it for that alone, and voxels are somuchfun.

Post such nice stuff into your personal free gallery in this forums. This are good refs for 3D-Coats main gallery. We can only present your work to the audience when it is in your forums galleries.

Thank you

:)