3DCoat Forums

Trees generator

Andrew Shpagin

Auger, thanks for testing. I have uploaded package again, now it has very deep checking and logging. Please download

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-trees-dbg.exe

and send me log.txt and screen with bugreport if it will occur.

*edit: it seems that problem was solved, just re-download package by the link

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-trees.exe

That did it Andrew! The new version is working fine. Thanks!

Jon

Guest Lottmedia

still just getting the OBJs for the tree and leaves, but nothing else. It worked the first time i used it then all the sudden it didn't export OBJs, now it does bt no materials.

Casey

post-501-1209083951_thumb.jpg

Guest Lottmedia

OK, so in uninstalled it completely, erased all the folders, restarted, then I installed it (even ran installer as admin for good measure) and it seems to work now. I get 2 OBJs, one material and two textures. Yeah!!

Casey

The tree looks really cool. But it seems that dencity is still too low. Have you tried to export with maximal leafs dencity?

Here's the same tree with the HD export (more dense). It would be better if we could control how many leaves it will export with a slider. Sometimes you want hires trees with lots of leaves and sometimes you want trees with less leaves. (background trees and maybe autum trees doesn't need as many leaves)

post-464-1209135918_thumb.jpg

Works fine for me, here's a test I just made. Objects straight in from 3D Tree into LW-Layout. I only added the clipmap to the leaves.

Ztreem,

Your trees are looking impressive in LW! You make it sound so easy. I guess I'm a real dunce because my 3DC trees are still looking awful in LW.

I've tried all the object saving options in 3DC trees with the default settings at startup, plus, with/without billboard enabled on all the tree parts. In LW9 Layout, I've tried clip map, double sided surface setting, maxed out render settings, different texture mapping types/axis, etc. but the tree trunk, leaves and textures are a blocky mess.

When you get some free time, could you please provide some more details on your process? Thanks so much...MG

Here's the same tree with the HD export (more dense). It would be better if we could control how many leaves it will export with a slider. Sometimes you want hires trees with lots of leaves and sometimes you want trees with less leaves. (background trees and maybe autum trees doesn't need as many leaves)

Looks great now! I want to publish 3DC 2.09 B2 ASAP, but after this I can make direct LW export. Can you send me the sample of LW file to look at settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Ztreem,

Did you send Andrew a scene of your tree setup?

Heck, could you share your tree setup here? I am befuddled by the clipmap channel settings. Better said, I am curious as to whether you went outside lw to make the clipmap imagery.

I really like this program; the waving in the wind is quite relaxing. ;)

Looking forward to my befuddlement in clarity.

To use the clipmap, just go the clipmap options(object properties), and copy the settings you already have for the colour channel, instead use the alpha only option(change in image editor) and INVERT layer in the clipmap-options.

Clip maps work with UV's, so it should work now.

I've made some scenes and animations with the trees, looks really nice. Only very polygon-heavy if you generate every leaf.

Waiting for a good polygon-billboard plugin, as many of us here are.

Andrew, since you already use 2 or 3 polygons for every leaf, can you built an option to let the individual leafs droop a bit(falloff)?

This makes the leafs much more realistic.

Does anyone know a untriple plugin which RETAINS the UV-maps?

post-690-1210014823_thumb.jpg

Here's a leaf object, setup with a transparency map, as clipmaps doesn't save with objects in LW, but it's easy to copy the setting from transparency to clipmap if you want to use it instead of transparency. In this example I just used the composition.tga and cloned it in the image editor and set it to alpha only and used that as a transparency map. You could use that or just make 3DTree make a transparency map on export.

Andrew, you asked before if someone had any leaf textures. Look at this links, they have a lot of leaf textures if you contact them I'm sure you can get permission to use some of them in 3DTree.

Nice leaves with alpha channels

Not as nice but OK, without alpha channel

tree_0002_leafs2.rar

Andrew, since you already use 2 or 3 polygons for every leaf, can you built an option to let the individual leafs droop a bit(falloff)?

This makes the leafs much more realistic.

Does anyone know a untriple plugin which RETAINS the UV-maps?

Yeah, I like that. I was thinking about something like this pic, that we could have several different options for the leaf export.

I think there is a version of merge trigonX that retains UV, make a search at flay and newtek forums.

post-464-1210023115_thumb.jpg

I really wanted to try this last night, but was having trouble logging on. I'm downloading it now, so hopefully I can play with it soon. I wonder if I can make billboards in Poser using the "point at" option? That way I could just import the whole mesh, and use the grouping tool to create the individual billboards...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lottmedia
Oops, sorry my bad... :blink:

:) no big, just don't want any nastygrams coming back to the forums and therefore Andrew. I'm looking into creating some materials and textures, we need a place like Flay for 3DC :)

C-

Thank you!

The work over TG will be resumed soon, now I have very urgent task - changing render engine (to make 3DC cross platform).

If you want to help, please make billboard with 4 or more (N xM) leafs of same type on single texture and store it as TGA.

If there will be several types of textures, I will add drop list to select bark type/leafs type

• 6 months later...
Hi Andrew,

Its a great tool. I would really love to see some more additions to it. Please make it compatible with game engines.

Thanks a lot for making such a wonderful tool.

well I will also quite happy to see that tree generator with more tool and so on , I am even ready to pay for it ^^.

By the way Andrew , i used some of your tree in my actual game prod just to test a bit what I can do with that , and to make me base tree mesh, than I can sculpt and texture my way, is quite usefull even at this stage , my question is if I want use them at the end in the commercial game version can I ?

See my thread in the wip if you are curious , I posted a shot with some of the tree right from tree generator.

here

• Advanced Member
...my question is if I want use them at the end in the commercial game version can I ?...

Andrew said "It is free to everyone who has purchaced 3D-Coat. At least for some time (maybe it will cost something when I will make rich export functions and make it white&furry)."

So if you've already purchaced a licence of 3DC, I think that's OK. But maybe better to get Andrew’s reply。

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
4) adaptive simplification of branches in dependence on curvature (not a simple equidistant sampling like it is usually done)

This gave me a thought how to take it one step further (haven't actually tried the tree generator yet): how about making the adaptive simplification also work on the radial polycount, according to the thickness of the branch? If the branch is very thick it needs to look round, so you need dense vertices to loop around the branch to keep it round (like 12 vertices). But as the branch gets thinner towards the tip, you could reduce the number of vertices in the loops one by one, until near the tip of the branch would be only a 3-vertex loop.

The only problem I can think of, is that this would introduce triangles to the branch geometry. Is that a problem in 3D-Coat? (at least ZBrush runs into problems with triangles)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

Firstly thanks for the support on resolving my key for 3D Coat.

OK Tree generator...Finally Ive found an easy to use ap that allows me to build relatively good low polycount trees that I can use as static meshes for games. Ive found the following issue which should be simple to resolve (I Hope).

System: Vista 32 bit (admin)

When you first install the app & export, it will create the .MTL with reference image files & object files. If you delete the content of that folder & the try & recreate the export the images & .MTL is NOT created. Subsequently if you create multiple variations from the same data whilst the .OBJH increments the .MTL remains static.

I did a reboot & had the same problems in case it was a memory issue, with no luck.

What I did find was that if you did a simple re-install over itself & then exported it created the required files.

I hope this helps :):good: