3DCoat Forums

3D-Max AppLink

Andrew Shpagin

New version!

-Option to auto-launch 3DCoat app if an instance is not already running.

-Option to auto-switch to 3D-Coat app on mesh export. (didn't feel like a proper applink without it.)

-Added ability to export Curve Profile and Voxel Comine objects (added in v1.2 and v1.3 applink specification)

-Ability to dock window to left or right of Max viewport.

-Ability to Auto-delete by name, by user properties tag (system used by official applink), or by both.

-PBR option now only shown if running Max2016 or newer.

-Support for saving settings (just the checkboxes for now).

Same link as always. Have fun :)

No problem, hopefully you and others can find some use for it. Let me know if there's any changes you'd like to see made (haven't actually gotten any feedback on it yet...).

I also noticed andrew linked to it on the first post. Does that make it the 'official' applink now? :p

Polyhertz,

First. Thank you for doing this.  This is great.  But the only problem I have is that the "Import" button does nothing for me.  I can export to 3d Coat just fine.  It even opens a close 3D-Coat.  But clicking "Import" does absolutely nothing.  Any suggestions?

Im on 3D Max 2016 and 3D Coat 4.5.19 (CUDA 64), Windows 10.  

Thanks!!!

Are you exporting from 3D-Coat via "File > Open in Original App" , or via "File > Export to > 3DS Max 20??" ? Both work a little differently, and I haven't implemented the second one yet.

Hmm, I didn't chose an export option.  When I was finished working in 3D Coat, I went straight back into Max and clicked the "Import" button on your Max plugin.  I assume I have missed a step.  Perhaps I need to add your script somehow to 3D-Coat as well?  Because my only export options under 3D-Coat's  "File" are "Export Objects & Textures", "Export for Steam", and "Export for 3D Painting".

Do I need to install something for 3D Coat as well?

Hmm, that's really strange. If 3DC recognizes the file for import then it should automatically show the "Open in Original App" option (unless you've restarted it since the import took place). Pic with the option highlighted:

GD7DlRF.jpg

PolyHertz,

Thanks for the screenshot!  That was the problem I was having.  I was not clicking the "Open in Original App" link.  I didn't even notice it.  This works fine now.  Great script!  Thanks for sharing!!

New version uploaded (same link as always):

-Added option to "Auto Switch to 3DS Max" which will automatically switch back to 3DS Max as soon as as "Open in Original App" is pressed in 3D-Coat.

-Fixed a bug where output.obj file would lock and couldn't be exported from 3DC multiple times in a row without receiving any new imports from max, if "Delete Old Mesh (Name)" was enabled.

---

Teriander: Selective vision is like that sometimes, I can totally relate. :)

Andrew should probably change it to "Export to Original App" instead.

Edited by PolyHertz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

New version uploaded (same link as always):

-Added option to "Auto Switch to 3DS Max" which will automatically switch back to 3DS Max as soon as as "Open in Original App" is pressed in 3D-Coat.

-Fixed a bug where output.obj file would lock and couldn't be exported from 3DC multiple times in a row without receiving any new imports from max, if "Delete Old Mesh (Name)" was enabled.

---

Teriander: Selective vision is like that sometimes, I can totally relate. :)

Andrew should probably change it to "Export to Original App" instead.

Do you think you could link the following icon to your script? The new logo should look pretty cool in the toolbar.

3DC Ball_White_Thumb_01.bmp

3DC.bmp

• 2 weeks later...

New release: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.3.rar

-Now saves drop-down menu preferences

-Ability to export via 3D-Coats "Export To" feature, or "Open in Original App", whichever you prefer.

-Can now start your model in 3D-Coat if you want instead of Max.

Note: Flat/PBR material import modes currently only work when using "Open in Original App" due to how 3D-Coat 'optimizes' texture file names. If Andrew changes that so they keep their full name (the one used on the obj/mtl files) it'll work automatically, otherwise I'll add a workaround in the next version.

Happy Holidays everyone. :)

Edited by PolyHertz
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I'm not a MaxScript guru or anything, but I just swapped out the text from 1.2 to 1.3, under the docking command (cause I kept getting a Maxscript error and would have to close the panel). I deleted the command under "Misc." and put it back under the UI rollout section. Thanks for the update, Greg. Makes things a lot smoother. :good:

Here's the temporary fix:

3ds Max Applink v1.3.rar

Yea seems it's an issue with the docking feature in max itself, it fails intermittantly if not inside the rollout its docking. Logically speaking it should have worked fine, but Maxscipt isn't really known for being a very consistent or glitch-free language :p

Added a fix for the materials assignment issue, so now they'll apply properly when using the "Export To" feature

(note that this is only meant to work with TGA maps, I'm looking into adding support for the other types 3DC can export):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.3a.rar

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

Yea seems it's an issue with the docking feature in max itself, it fails intermittantly if not inside the rollout its docking. Logically speaking it should have worked fine, but Maxscipt isn't really known for being a very consistent or glitch-free language :p

Added a fix for the materials assignment issue, so now they'll apply properly when using the "Export To" feature: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.3a.rar

For some reason, after making that change, it's been working consistently on my end. The error I was getting mentioned something about a "rollout being missing." That's when I inspected the Maxscript and made the appropriate change. I have to say, this applink is pretty awesome, otherwise. The auto-launching of each app and the Auto-import works well, now. :good:

Support for all map types is now in: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.3b.rar

AbnRanger: Glad its working well for you now. I think I've gotten all the major bugs out of it now, but its always hard to be sure (caught two new ones in this latest release that hadn't been reported by anyone yet).

Edited by PolyHertz

PolyHertz,

First, thank you for updating this and maintaining this plugin.  Huge time saver.  Seconds, whenever I send an object from max to 3d coat via "Export Mesh for:  Retopology (auto)",  it opens 3D Coat, but nothing else happens.  Its as if it only launches or switches to 3D Coat without any other action happening.  It loads the geometry into the scene for all other options, but not Retopology (auto).  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

New version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.4.mzp

Changes:

-Now comes as an MZP file with auto-install (places all the icons + install the macro), and auto-uninstall features (Deletes macro/icons/user settings/autoloader/3DC->Max export directory). To use, just drag/drop the file on to the Max viewport, or run via the Scripting/MAXscript menu. Can also be opened like a regular zip file and installed manually like before.

-Optional auto-launch feature for Max. If enabled 3D-Coat will automatically launch Max when using "Export To" if no versions of Max are already running, as well as auto-start the applink, and if Auto-Import is enabled do that too. So it can Launch max + the app link + import the mesh all in one go.

-Various bug fixes (including Auto Retopology issue).

Teriander: Sorry about that, update should fix the issue. :)

Edited by PolyHertz

PolyHertz,

Thanks for the update.  This is the error I am getting when I launch the 3D App from inside 3D Max after installing and restarting:

NEVERMIND!  I resolved this by setting 3D Max to run as administrator!  Sorry about this!

maxerror.jpg

Edited by Teriander

Did you use the regular install? Both the install and the regular script write files to the Max directory, so it's weird if one worked and the other failed. I can try making all files elsewhere and copying them to the Max directory if that works...else next release I'll just add an error message when files fail to write letting users know that they need the correct(Admin) permissions before running the script.

I've only ever tested it with an Admin account.

Regular installed gave an error during install.   Manual install gave an error when launching the app inside of 3D Max.  Both issues were fixed after running Max as Admin.  It's strange because my account is set as "Admin",  I'm researching now to see if I need to make some security changes.  I'm just a home user, not on a work network or anything.  Using Windows 10.  

By the way, the Retopo (Auto) option is working.  Well done!   

Ok, here's a small update that adds some information popup windows when the applink has problems writing files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.4a.mzp

just fyi, admin mode is only needed during install/uninstall and when enabling Max Auto Launch for the first time, because those are the only times it writes files to the Max directory. Windows Permissions can get a bit weird because an Admin account can sometimes be locked out of writing files to certain directories unless also in Admin 'Mode' (ie. "Run as Admin").

It might be possible to let non-admins install the applink by linking it to specific Windows user accounts, but I haven't tested properly yet to be sure.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, even when I turn UAC off, and am logged in as the the Administrator, Windows still pulls this crap. Makes me pretty darn mad at times...having to fight with Windows to access my own stuff. This isn't the only plugin that requires the user to start Max as the Administrator. I have a number of ones I use that requires the same thing. Best thing to do is RMB + Click the app icon > Properties > COMPATIBILITY TAB > Click "Change settings for all users" > At the very bottom, check "Run as a Admin."

You'll henceforth see an Admin badge over your icon, so you know it will automatically run as Admin when you click on it.

Is it just me or are you getting different results when importing from 3D Max into 3D Coat via "Retopology"?    The Retopo objects are coming in with a strange shading color, pressing 1-5 does not change the color of the objects, and I am first prompted with with Placing the object (at this stage is has the correct gray color but pressing enter or Apply changes the color and makes my 1-5 keys useless.  The biggest issue is that placing Points/Faces or even Quads appears to be more difficult as my points are hiding inside the geometry.  I do not recall having this issue before.  Am I missing something? 

That sounds like an issue in 3D-Coat itself, not the applink (which has nothing to do with the mesh other then exporting it and telling 3DC to send it to the [retopo] room).

The applink SDK hasn't been updated in over 2 years (Oct 2013), so 3D-Coat might still be using some legacy behavior when using any of them. Best bet would be to ask Andrew.

• Reputable Contributor

Is it just me or are you getting different results when importing from 3D Max into 3D Coat via "Retopology"?    The Retopo objects are coming in with a strange shading color, pressing 1-5 does not change the color of the objects, and I am first prompted with with Placing the object (at this stage is has the correct gray color but pressing enter or Apply changes the color and makes my 1-5 keys useless.  The biggest issue is that placing Points/Faces or even Quads appears to be more difficult as my points are hiding inside the geometry.  I do not recall having this issue before.  Am I missing something? 

What are you placing those points on? A dense mesh in the Sculpt room, or the low-poly mesh you sent to the Retopo room?

• Reputable Contributor

Low-poly mesh in the Retopo room.  

Not a good idea, IMHO. The reason is, Retopolgy tools (especially the Points & Faces, Quads, Add/Split and Stroke tools are designed to work on top of HIGH poly objects that reside in the Sculpt workspace. The whole purpose of retopology is to create a low polygon copy, because high polygon meshes are too unwieldy to work with in most 3D apps.

• Reputable Contributor

So, you if you want to retopologize a low poly mesh, then import it into the Sculpt room (the Applink will do that with the Voxel Object option). Once you have that model committed to a layer in the Sculpt room, you can use the Retopo option from the applink.

You can see it covered a bit in this video:

Final release for the year: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.5.mzp

Changed since 1.4a :
-Added Arch & Design material import. Support for both Metalness gloss and roughness workflows. Inspired by AbnRangers recent video on the subject (here).
-Added Multi-Sub material support for all custom material types.
-Added ability to use opacity with all "Material Import" options, except for with Stingray shader (as the shader itself doesn't support opacity in any form atm).
-Install and Max autorun now work even if not running as Admin (icons can still be blocked by Windows, but it wont stop the applink from working).
-Added option to automatically delete all temporary files from the selected 3D-Coat exchange directory on exit (because I doubt most people realize how many files can accumulate if they dont delete them once and a while).
-Fixed bug where "Auto Launch 3DS Max" setting wasn't saved between applink sessions (affected version 1.4a but not 1.4).

Please run an uninstall before installing this new version, as some of the older files can otherwise cause issues.

Edited by PolyHertz
  • Like 1

Strange, I don't think I touched that area of the code for this release... Just to be sure, did you use the uninstaller in this release prior to installing, and then run the applink at least once before going into 3D-Coat?

Edit: Small update to fix the "Export to" issue: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.5a.mzp

So much for "last release of the year" :p

Edited by PolyHertz