3DCoat Forums

Volumetric terrain/landscape sculpting

marco

I haven't installed version 3 yet because I am just starting to learn the features of version 2 but ...

I was wondering if Volumetric sculpting could be used for creating terrains and landscapes ?

I am thinking about caves in a mountain, or the contours of a river.

terrain-long-robert-czarny_sha.jpg

hi marco,

there is one in the gallery by Eric Dandoy. Suppose it is sculpted. :huh:

Guenter

I haven't installed version 3 yet because I am just starting to learn the features of version 2 but ...

I was wondering if Volumetric sculpting could be used for creating terrains and landscapes ?

I am thinking about caves in a mountain, or the contours of a river.

terrain-long-robert-czarny_sha.jpg

I am sure it is good idea to use 3DC for landscapes because VS can produce non - heightfield landscapes also.

• Advanced Member

I've dabbled a little with it for this purpose, but nothing serious yet. It works quite well, but there

are some considerations/features that might be able to enhance it even further

- fine detail work with VS remains dependent upon high voxel count (which means beefy computer

thusfar), so using it to bulk out shapes and do mid-level detail seemed to work best for me. Also,

getting into tiny cracks or valleys is still tough...you generally end up 'joining' those areas if you smooth

at all.

- camera manipulation...might be a good opportunity to request a custom camera that is more like

'flythrough' camera consistent with other terrain generating software (more like WASD or something

and a bit of a tendency to float along surface of sculpt)

You can, of course, do a rough in VS mode, then do a quick retopo and detail with regular 3dcoat tools. ;)