3DCoat Forums

Import possibilities

bevstandish

There are many wonderful tutorials......all sort of start with an object being already in 3D Coat. It was either created in 3D Coat or imported....but nothing shows the best way to import for sculpting.  I want to import an object from Lightwave 11.6 further sculpt it and then paint it in 3D coat. There is no sculpt room anymore. What import options do I choose? I am doing the very simplest of sculpting...but should be easy to do in this program.  In fact I used it when it was 2.0 without any problems. 

Do I import mesh for voxelizing first? Topology? Painting? What is the workflow?

What do I check in the load object options?  I have not yet successfully imported an object for voxel work in any way that I could manipulate it. 

I have successfully imported, painted an object and returned it to Lightwave.  

If I go from the paint room to the voxel room the object disappears? Can you not do that? Must I iimport it for voxel work first? If so....how?  I have not yet successfully imported an object for voxel work in any way that I could manipulate it. 

The depth tool and the tweak panel are not enough sculpting wise. I feel like I am very close.....if I can just get past the import challenges. If I had more
time it would help. But I need to be up and running now....I will fine tune my understanding of the program as I go!

Any help on this particular workflow is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you so much ahead of time! 

• 5 years later...

I followed this link, but it is a different video than the screen shot above. I watched several videos starting with the one in this link. Is it possible to get a simple list of instructions on importing outside objects in the sculpt room reliably, and possibly a brief explanation as to why things work this way? Videos are so painfully linear, and you never really know if your question will be answered. Many thanks for the videos - they are very helpful. But sometimes it would be expedient to get specific answers to specific questions.  Thank you.

• Advanced Member

What I prefered tutoriall channell is " 3d coat training channell

3d coat training channel

I do not know, why 3d coat separate training channell from ofiicial you tube channell, but most of videos can really help me a lot.

Then about 

It is quite  recent up-loaded ivdeos, but after I see these, I could understand more clear. May be you may try import to paint room, and go sculpt room for detail sculpt  ,then return paint room with baked normal map.

these 3 videos show detail workflow after you import mesh to paint room, then sculpt and bake normal. then return mesh to paint room again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralUTyBDqqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTZPyMUeRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7IxthkGsg

Edited by tokikake