3DCoat Forums

About layers and photoshop linking

BluEgo

• Advanced Member

Actually I'm planning to use 3D-coat most for its texturing skills other then for sculpt.

The first thing I noticed, is how layer palette is so slow to manage.

For example if I check on or off a layer, if it contains depth values, I could wait more than a little to see the result

Also managing layers attributes like "Transparency" or "Specular Brightness", or blending options like "Standard mode" or "Modulate", is so slow

I imagine that this is cause every layer contains depth, color and spec values

So, as I read in the thread "Indicators on the layers" by philnolan3d, I think that separating depth by color in every layer should be really a good idea

I think 3d-coat linking abilities with phothosop have great power, but there are some things could be refined.

For instance, exporting and importing color layers with "Edit all layers in external editor" command takes too much time.

Anyway, could we have in 3D-coat the same blend modes than photoshop?

At least the most used should be introduced, like "multiply" (even if in 3d coat seems to be "modulate", but photoshop doesn't recognize it), "screen", "color burn", "color dodge" and "overlay"

Besides, photoshop layer's opacity doesn't update transparency in 3D-coat.

In the end, every time I add a mask in a photoshop layer, and then I save the document, 3D-coat creashes.

I think that 3D-coat should have a mask system like photoshop, instead of linking masked areas of a layer to another layer, so working in both software will be more "standard"

I know that 3D-coat isn't photoshop, but photoshop masks are great ;)

In the meanwhile, masks in photoshop layers could be flattened when re-importing in 3d coat, instead of crashing it

The time of operation depends on actual layer square. If layer is a several storkes changing params work immediately, it it fills the whole object, it works slowly.

Yes, I want to unify & call operations like in PS. It is in my plans.

Ok, I will look at masks. The only problem - I am on the way to 2.10 and so I must make make changes in old sources (2.09) and new (2.10) so I am trying to avoid big changes in 2.09 because I must duplicate changes in 2.10. Sources of 2.09 and 2.10 are very (but not so much) different because of 2.10 is based on new graphical engine.

But anyway I fix bugs that was found in 2.09 and make update every time on request.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

i kind of wish Andrew would add a node base system instead of the PhotoShop layer approach or at least have it as a optional way to work in 3DC(maybe in 3.0!)

i kind of wish Andrew would add a node base system instead of the PhotoShop layer approach or at least have it as a optional way to work in 3DC(maybe in 3.0!)

I have a hard enough time figuring out nodes in LightWave and Map Zone, now you're suggesting them in 3DC?

• Advanced Member
I have a hard enough time figuring out nodes in LightWave and Map Zone, now you're suggesting them in 3DC?

Well a PhotoShop layer can get really complicated to see whats going on very quick..when you have alot of them and lots of fx. with a node system its easier to see how things are hooked up even for a newb like me. I should stress, that it should be a optional method not the only method.

I dont have a problem with XSi RenderTree :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Well a PhotoShop layer can get really complicated to see whats going on very quick..when you have alot of them and lots of fx. with a node system its easier to see how things are hooked up even for a newb like me. I should stress, that it should be a optional method not the only method.

I dont have a problem with XSi RenderTree :)

I am not agree in this case.

What we want in sculpting/texturing software, is a fast way of layering all the stuff.

I like a lot nodal networks, from shaders to compositing for animations, but to paint strokes, to blend them, and adjusting colors, photoshop way is yet the best and fast workflow IMO.

If I would be in modo for example, I would like nodes to make complex rigs in 401.

But simply in 3D-coat I cannot see why should be implemented a nodal network. Maybe for assembling shaders, but 3D-coat has not an offline render engine, and for a realtime preview of our model a simple CG shader is enough.

I don't mean I would not be satisfied if I will see this one day, but I think is better to focuse on what is better for sculpting and texturing stuff

• Advanced Member
I am not agree in this case.

What we want in sculpting/texturing software, is a fast way of layering all the stuff.

I like a lot nodal networks, from shaders to compositing for animations, but to paint strokes, to blend them, and adjusting colors, photoshop way is yet the best and fast workflow IMO.

If I would be in modo for example, I would like nodes to make complex rigs in 401.

But simply in 3D-coat I cannot see why should be implemented a nodal network. Maybe for assembling shaders, but 3D-coat has not an offline render engine, and for a realtime preview of our model a simple CG shader is enough.

I don't mean I would not be satisfied if I will see this one day, but I think is better to focuse on what is better for sculpting and texturing stuff

i Agree. a Nodal network layer system is not a necessity