3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Reputable Contributor

Poly-painting in voxel/surface mode is coming sometime in Version 4. We now have LC tools in development for local detail. The combination of both now only need a powerfull renderer to show off the work. I enjoy 2D painting as much if not more than the entire 3D pipeline. I could make illustrations using 3D elements but not have to go though the retopo process. Now I make a voxel/surface mode render then use a 2D paint program for compositing with color etc...

I can see alot of illustrators using 3DCoat for creating illustrations enlarging the customer base for 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

I think you guys are forgetting that 3DCoat is a Sculpting/Topology editor/Painting application, if you were to add too many other things, like photo quality rendering, animation etc the focus would be lost and we would end up with just another all round 3D program.

• Reputable Contributor

I think you guys are forgetting that 3DCoat is a Sculpting/Topology editor/Painting application, if you were to add too many other things, like photo quality rendering, animation etc the focus would be lost and we would end up with just another all round 3D program.

I can see your point but adding a better renderer or plug-in (good idea) is not the same as losing focus in my view. 3DCoat has a renderer already, no reason not to upgrade it to meet the projected enhancements that 3DCoat will have in Version 4. Go to the Zbrush's site and many of those renders will never make it to a retopo process or game engine. They are for show and illustrations. I realise that Andrew and Raul are only two people but in time I do not think it's a bad idea to have more rendering power whether internal or external.

In the end the choice will be Andrews but good feedback and even disagreements help.

Updated 3.7.02 - beta

Win build done. Mac + Liux - tomorrow if all is OK with win build.

- Free form primitives and pose tools got multi-selection and gizmo (if multiple elements selected) - http://bit.ly/tihLm7

- All retopo tools will support realtime symmetry updating. If you change something on one side of existing symmetry - it will be done on other side. Turn off "Retopo->Show mirrored" to see clearly how it happens. It is very important if you want to update existing mesh without breaking UV set.

- Primitives updating done to produce really good quality in surface mode booleans. Grid density may be varied by slider.

- Found one more lag in retopo tool (and UI in general). Now it will work faster, especially on undo/redo and tool switching.

- I found why importing model for ppp may take long time in some cases. It was realtime pading preparing routine. Now optimized a lot.

- airbrush in ppp & freeze issue solved - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=447

- Pose, primitives & Free form with symmetry problem resolved - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=441

- UV room "add clusters" bug fixed - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=445

- UV mapping in retopo room improved - when you add polygons UV will be extended properly after switching other tool - http://www.3dcoat.com/files/UV_update.png

- Fixed bug - keeping scale of merged object in voxels was inaccurete up to 3%. It was well visible on far off-ce0ntered models.

- fixed cube lag: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=435

- attempt to fix Linux delay bug, but really not sure there ...

LC updated just a little because of Raul was busy with primitives and ewest changes are not included - still not checked well.

Some links in the update list are broken, Andrew.

Looks like all 4 links work well. What links are broken?

Thanks Andrew. One quick question...why is it that the last several builds, the Symmetry plane is almost never centered up on the active object/layer. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but oftentimes you cannot tell it's on because you can't see the the plane. It's hidden inside the object or off in space. It is kind of like seeing typos on a resume. It's not a critical error but it doesn't reflect well.

I will discover it with file you sent me.

I'm sending a crash report with a file right now as soon as it finishes uploading. The latest 3DC update is crashing when I load a .3B file from 3.7.01. I'm not at home right now to check but it is possible that the file got corrupted when I transferred it from my desktop to my laptop via a USB flash drive.

Edit: I dropped back to 3.7.01B and the file loaded fine, so it's definitely a problem with 3.7.02.

Hi there,

Testing 3.7.02, CUDA version, Windows 7 64-bit

Voxelization of surface mesh undo crash:

- Created a voxel sculpt

- Added liveclay details in surface mode

- ENTER to voxelize surface mesh

- UNDO, crash, happens each time at least with the model I did

Liveclay detail and posing with Line transpose mode not creating proper selection:

- Have a voxel sculpt with liveclay(?) detail in surface mode

- Select pose

- Select Transpose mode "Line"

- Paint line

- Only segments of area get selected / masked + transformed

- Happened with couple of character like models when drawing Line selection on leg/foot area

I'm sending a crash report with a file right now as soon as it finishes uploading. The latest 3DC update is crashing when I load a .3B file from 3.7.01. I'm not at home right now to check but it is possible that the file got corrupted when I transferred it from my desktop to my laptop via a USB flash drive.

Edit: I dropped back to 3.7.01B and the file loaded fine, so it's definitely a problem with 3.7.02.

Ok, crash reproduced. I will fix and reupload today.

• Advanced Member
How about spicing up the renderer a bit? Visualization, direct voxel render output could be a good marketing for 3D-Coat. The DOF blur is nice and the final output render is good. How about fixing adding more lights, maybe HDR, repairing the color of lights to react like in 3DSMAX scanline render, replacing the current render code or add something that Andrew can think of?

A lot of people judge the quality of 3D programs via it's renders or sculpts, when a program get studios and really good artists using it then it will sell itself so the best possible materials system and render engine could only benefit 3DC really. There is a lot of requests at the moment but i think this is a good suggestion that should be done at some point.

3. You could add a configurable motion blur effect like in Photoshop--filter--motion, where the voxel-object is rendered as if moving in a direction: think of the Enterprise Warp effect in Star Trek: motion-blur-streak intense colors are burned toward white

For effects i think something which would be much better would be support for GLSL/HLSL effects because that way you could have a nice motion blur but also any number of other useful effects you could think of like chromatic aberration, noise grain, Lens distortion etc. There is also many effects online to download and they could be coded and added to the program at any time also. In my opinion that would be much better than just a few selected effects being available, these could also be used with painting/texturing similar to how photoshop can apply effects to layers/selections.

I was very happy to find with my quick test that I can jump right from retopo to painting without needing to apply symmetry first. I did notice that the points along the center do not snap to each other as they do in the retopo room or if you do use Apply Symmetry.

And yes, I see you can export from Retopo without needing Apply Symmetry either, it loaded both sides into LightWave, correctly mirrored. it didn't even have the snapping problem I mentioned above.

• Contributor

Opening files from 3.7.01 seems ok.I can now also sculpt on some voxel layers on which brush cursor was freezing down to 5 fps for unknown reasons,in 3.7.02 speed seems to have returned to normal on those layers.

Andrew,could you make a version of Mud brush without the embedded grain/noise? :)

Its a very good brush,sometimes better than clay brush for some situation.

Clay brush seems to average the whole stroke from the starting point,giving it a kind of smudging effect

which can be tricky when doing subtractive sculpting or when working on the symmetry line.

Mud brush is much more easy to predict in that aspect,best Clay based brush in 3DCoat arsenal IMO....

But the thing is personally i don't need the gain/noise effect,I would rather like being able to choose an alpha image if I want such an effect in the brush

and be free to not use one if I don't want to.

PS:Also,it seems Interpolate has gone under some changes am I right ??

It works better now,there seems to be distance lock on when dragging,much easier to do straight line now.

Its not perfect yet tough,the "green snake" visual representation does not seem to adapt to the new behavior when changing directions.But anyway its a big step foward...

I hope Im not crazy :D and it really went under some changes,because it really feels different to me.

Thanks for the fast turn around. :good:

Nevertheless, the Symmetry plane still has issues as you can see from the screen grab. Plus there is a red indicator at the bottom of the screen that symmetry is only partial. What is that about? I have no idea how to fix that.

EDIT: I've also had 3DC crash twice in the past 20 minutes, involving hitting UNDO in the Retopo Room. It's so sudden and volitile I don't even get the crash report. Has been 4 crashes since installing 3.7.02A an hour or so ago. You won't catch the UNDO bug easily. It usually happens when you have been working a while, using the split and points & faces tool

More stuff happening with just this build (newly broken):

http://www.screencast.com/t/qaU3t5oLkum

All issues reproduced. All fixed but crash. Working over it now. Will do new build today.

• Advanced Member

In surface mode the Extrude tool needs a Detail input that the other tools like LiveClay. If you extrude it uses the resolution of the current area so you need to sculpt with high detail before for it to work well.

So this would be useful as you could always extrude with the required detail directly without workarounds.

OSX 3.7.01B export object options dissappeared?

I remember in older version (3.2 or 3.5) when export object, there were options to choose from, .obj, .lwo .stl etc.

Have they dissapeared from the interface?

When typing in the extension in name it does work, but I can not tick the box.

see attached screenshot.

post-3834-0-89911500-1324215029_thumb.jp

grtz

Piet

Thanks for input BeatKitano, the problem is solved in the latest version for sure.

combo boxes are indeed working again. :)

From Sergyl: 3D-Coat 3.5.14 was developed using Carbon for 32-bit Mac OS X systems, and since then 3D-Coat has been rewritten from ground up for 64-bit systems using cocoa. New Cocoa file dialogs don't have combo boxes with format selection yet.

Oh and are you sure you're using the latest 3.7.01B ?

I read this in the same thread:

"Existing image 3D-Coat-V3-7-01B.dmg has been updated. Now save file dialogs include combo box with a list of available extensions. Please, download it again. Thanks for the request! "

Andrew, how did you go with the 2-3 second brush delay which occurs after performing around 200 strokes?

I've realised this issue already in the paint room too. It appeared some time ago here, but seems to still exist.

Best wishes

Chris