3DCoat Forums

FBX Import Oddities

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

I'm using the latest Beta (4.5Beta 2) and my imported FBX (for per pixel painting) looks very strange and is missing some polys. In modo and Unity, the fbx looks fine so I can only assume it's a 3d coat issue.

You can see that although I haven't attached any materials the imported mesh looks glossy and has lots of artefacts. See attached..

post-37556-0-75257400-1420798270_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Beta 5 seems broken too. (screen attached)

The normals are all fine in Modo. I ran a mesh clean up in modo to and everything looks fine but there are still problems in 3d coat.

I have attached the fbx too if anyone wants to check it. Maybe you don't get the same issues?

There's quite a few separate sub objects in this mesh, would that make any difference?

Thanks

Car01_fromModo01.zip

post-37556-0-36673200-1420843700_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Hmm. so instead of just importing model for Per Pixel painting as I normally do I imported the mesh as a retopo mesh and then did Bake w/normal map (Per Pixel).

I was then able to auto UV map the object and then paint it normally. There were no flipped faces or artifacts.

?!

Is importing as a retopo the preffered method instead of going the normal route of just importing for per pixel?

post-37556-0-97776600-1420850215_thumb.p

• Contributor

No, not realy.

If you want to only paint without baking normals or displacement and auto uvs are enough, then it is the comon way to do so.

Edit:

Anyway.

There are still problems in your fbx file.

First of all, i was not able to import it. It crashes always.

Second, after a look into your file into Blender and deletet some stuff like light and all emptys, i sent it to 3d coat.

First try brings up some holes. on the chair and on the front of the car.

Then i reworked that parts in blender, the front have overlapping stuff, and the chair have some non manifolds.

After deleting that, i get a clean import.

Nobody likes non manifolds and overlapping stuff.

Keep your mesh always as clean as possible.

Edited by Malo