3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

3. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 264

• To start off: The things that I love - Auto-welding of vertices dragged within close proximity. Please keep this functionality intact (but perhaps needs to be an option?) Points to Polygons is my favorite for detailed hand retopology and any of the many tools that allow me to just tweak/move vertices in screen space with RMB. UV tools are/always have been a pleasure to use... set seams, unfold, onto painting! Modeling room blockout -> live smooth -> sculpt room worflow - It's so nice to be able to do this, IMO. As someone who has used 3d-coat's poly-modeling functionality even before the 'modeling' room existed  I have a few things that I would like to see: Transform Hierarchy in the Poly Groups - UI much like hierarchy in the sculpt tree, but only for transform so that poly groups can be parented and transformed relative to one another.   Isolated selection - Selection tools should only allow me to select the components within the poly group that I have selected.   A uniform way of setting the transform space of the gizmo. Perhaps a function to cycle through Local (Normal), World, Parent, Screen spaces for the Gizmo. Screen information to tell me so (perhaps this would be visible in tool options)   Standard selection behavior - I think others have suggested this - to have the LMB drag a rectangular lasso when dragging the mouse - or at least have defaults set to be lasso.   I feel like 3d-coat's modeling tool set has *many tools and could potentially consolidate some of the tools into functions of a modifier or middle mouse button. It could possibly use a portion of the screen - the bottom status bar - to relay contextual functionality - The Softimage UI had a very similar setup to this. It would always let you know what your LMB, RMB, MMB's could do in certain situations and was quite the quick point of reference when learning the software. While the tool mouse-overs are 'okay', you have to keep going back to it and it sort of breaks the flow. I think tooling like 'smart-extrude' could benefit from some functionality like this.   A modeling room 'pose' tool would be handy. I find myself needing to do things like tapering a whole poly group once in a while and it would be nice to have better control that current soft-selection capabilities.   A single, central menu ("Send to" perhaps) for sending models from one room to another, rather than have the options be in different menus/different parts of the UI per-room. I'll leave it at this for the suggestions for now...   
    • Thank you so much! Andrew sent me a working build while the web site was down. I have some ideas for improvement but a few questions also. Is there a current roadmap for features or a trello board where planned features are prioritized?
    • if I right click on the sculpt tree a gray screen appears and I don't see the options, if I'm in voxel mode everything is clearly visible (why?). I have size 10 fonts, if I insert size 9 everything appears perfectly, is this a BUG?? ; I'm old and wear glasses, I can't work with small dimensions, and in any case I use many other software and only with 3dcoat do I always have viewing problems . Can you fix this or should I destroy my eyes? thank you so much
    • Edit > Preferences > Theme  Grey-out Background w/... is turned OFF ?
    • I don't know what to do anymore, if I right click on the sculpt tree a gray screen appears and I don't see the options, if I'm in voxel mode everything is clearly visible (why?). I have size 10 fonts, if I insert size 9 everything appears perfectly, this is a BUG please fix it; I'm old and wear glasses, I can't work with small dimensions, and in any case I use many other software and only with 3dcoat do I always have viewing problems
    • i fixed it ... for some reason it was holding two uv sets? i deleted 3dcoat reinstalled and all works perfect , however , baking curvature is very low detail , has a blurry effect to it , on round surfaces etc
    • Boy, a strange one you are experiencing. I know you are an experienced 3DC user so I will not ask the normal questions I do. Still working on my end with both height and depth.  Can you send me the bad 3DC file, I can look at it too.  Windows version 2024.14  
    • this is recently inside 3dcoat     and this is inside SP
    • I saved the alpha out from Textura as PSD. Then I opened that in Affinity Photo, ensured it as 16-bit RGB, saved it out as both a PSD and a TIFF. The PSD was a mess when brought into Textura and unusable. The TIFF was exactly the same as the 8-bit version that Textura had exported (severe banding).
    • All I did was save as PSD from Textura and then immediately bring that PSD back into Textura. I didn't even open the PSD in another application. To me, this means that Textura's export to PSD lowered the resolution.
    • At some point the psd lowered the resolution Try working on 16bits  
    • Thanks. I was working with this last night, but ran into an issue. If I save out a PSD of the alpha via RMB and then import the texture right back in, I get severe banding: The left-side one is the original alpha. The right-side one is the alpha, saved out as a PSD, unedited, but brought right back into Textura as a texture. So, this means I did nothing to it (didn't edit in any software) and I get this banding. I noticed this first because I had edited one and got the banding and thought it came from the software I had used to edit. So, I did a test with saving out the alpha as PSD and then bringing it right back into Textura and still got the banding. Therefore, it looks like the banding is being caused by Textura when it saves out the PSD.
    • Hi Hope this help 3DC documentation: create brushes  If you need to edit any already create alpha, on Brush Panel press RMB over the brush to edit it on the external editor.   The order of these Layers in the external editor is important. They are:  Color: This contains the Brush color as well as its corresponding Transparency mask. This mask affects the Glossiness Layer, as well.  Height/Depth: image-based painting affects displacement for sculpting and height/depth. The “zero” height of this Layer corresponds to “middle gray” or (127, 127, 127). Darker values corresponding to the concave areas will create valleys, and lighter values corresponding to convex areas will create peaks.  Specular: White represents maximum Specular. Black represents absolutely no Specular, with shades of gray representing intermediate values. The Color layer of the Alpha’s alpha transparency also determines where Specular painting occurs.  Erase Mask: This layer is used to create alphas that ignore certain values in other layers while painting. Remember that this mask affects the lowest Layer in the list and is active when you erase painted areas using Ctrl+Shift.
    • i cant work out whats going wrong?
    • is that depth or height? anything with depth bakes perfect on my pc but height wont work correctly
    • Hi, in my opinion it would be very useful to have among the real "brush tools" one that draws a line between two points, without however being affected by the shape of the mesh, but as if it were a planar projection (similar to that of substancepainter), at the moment those It seems to me that existing systems do not provide for this. There is the rectangle tool with which you can rotate...but it's a bit awkward. thx Giovanni