3DCoat Forums

Monkeybrains WIPs

Monkeybrain

• Advanced Member

My First WIP - thats a head - I think my first head what is looking good. But I used Silo for a low-poly-basemesh and 2 small photos from a mugshot for modelling. I didn't have until today made a good looking face until today. But I think looks good, or?

If you like - you can give me for my WIP nice ideas

Coz I'm a newbie ...

post-6985-0-76892800-1333815225_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

its looks like a head indeed, but there is much more work to do :)

you should work more on the cheekbones,eyebrows and eyesocket first, because thats what catches the attention of people naturally.

what tools did you use? (move-tool?)

• Advanced Member

i use move-tool all the time for blocking out shapes, but its best for that tool imo, when starting with the smallest resolution (the smallest sphere in the start-info-box at the beginning of a new project),

then block shapes out and increase resolution,

otherwise i find it hard to get my models in good shapes, but thats only me :)

so no need to be carefully with that tool;)

• Advanced Member

today I did start to made my first upper part, somth. its not so easy, coz thats my real first try (I just did paint faces in artrage -2D) :) hmmmp ....

Also I see, thats good to work in layers, this is the good so its fluid - I did cut my head from the upper body part ... - I also want use more surface tools

... with carefully, I mean, thats often, that I have a lot of distorsions by the moving tool ;)

post-6985-0-40568700-1333881401_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Yesterday I finished the body/face ... and I work now with clothings. But today I tested the export to OBJ - and I failed :( - I'm just a little bit unhappy can smb. help me please? I know need a trick, how can I get good results in obj files - also with my computersystem. Coz I recognize that 16GB RAM could be to small for 3DCoat.

But Here are last internal-render from my first 3D man (out of the voxelroom) :)

Here this thread about my OBJ Problems (artefacts/smoothing outputs)

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9692

post-6985-0-80519000-1334517038_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Okay, last weeks I did a spend a lot of time to made a flyer for my company. The human-wip I will work again in the next days/weeks again. But today I worked first time on a HARDSURFACE Obejct in 3D Coat, I did modelled it in 3D Coat mostly, only some basic parts/shapes are from Silo / as an OBJ - Brush .... ist crazy funny to making hardsurface in 3D Coat also, I love silo too, but the details I did made in 3DCoat very fast :D its so great too ...

ps. but I have a lot of fear, that I can not finish my human inkl nice clothes, coz 16GB RAM is a lot, but 3D Coat is soooooooo hungry ............

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=9692

post-6985-0-19897100-1337887287_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

To help free up memory you could try using "cleanup memory" in the voxels menu. Are you in voxels or surface mode? If in surface mode, something that helps me out is to press and hold "w" to see the wireframe then lightly go over it with the "decimate" brush to reduce the poly count in areas that are really dense. To enter surface mode press the "V" icon to the right in your voxels tab (Be careful because if you decide to go back into voxels mode its hard to retain details you sculpt in surface mode). Even with a powerful rig it seems if you have highly dense polygon areas the program slows down.

For your human do you have any anatomy reference aside from pictures of people? I always have a book or something up that shows muscles/ bones to help me out when sculpting to make sure everything is accurate.

• Advanced Member

if you run out of memory, then i suppose that your workflow within 3d Coat is not very economic.

(du musst mit einer kleinen Auflösung anfangen, grob die form bestimmen und dann kann man eigentlich schon von voxel zu surface mode wechseln.

Danach soweit ausarbeiten bis es mit dieser auflösung nicht mehr geht und die auflösung dann erhöhen, dann wieder bis es nicht mehr geht. Vorzugsweise macht man die Ausreizung der Auflösung mit LC-tools, da die dynamic tesselation haben.

verwende für die verschiedenen Teile auch verschiedene Ebenen, sodass nicht gleich alle Volumen "aktiv" sind. Die fertigen teile kannste auch in proxy-mode schicken, spart auch ressourcen.)

look at my last wip (human head), it was all in surface mode and the visible triangles are now at "only" 600k.

Even for Hardsurface i think that cutoff-tool in surfacemode is far sharper then in same resolution for voxels

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

if you run out of memory, then i suppose that your workflow within 3d Coat is not very economic.

(du musst mit einer kleinen Auflösung anfangen, grob die form bestimmen und dann kann man eigentlich schon von voxel zu surface mode wechseln.

Danach soweit ausarbeiten bis es mit dieser auflösung nicht mehr geht und die auflösung dann erhöhen, dann wieder bis es nicht mehr geht. Vorzugsweise macht man die Ausreizung der Auflösung mit LC-tools, da die dynamic tesselation haben.

verwende für die verschiedenen Teile auch verschiedene Ebenen, sodass nicht gleich alle Volumen "aktiv" sind. Die fertigen teile kannste auch in proxy-mode schicken, spart auch ressourcen.)

look at my last wip (human head), it was all in surface mode and the visible triangles are now at "only" 600k.

Even for Hardsurface i think that cutoff-tool in surfacemode is far sharper then in same resolution for voxels

Thanks for your tipps. I was in the last months very inactive with 3D Coat, my last human-wip I did maybe lost, I will look for that project in my external hardddisk's :)

But okay, now I have other RAM and I hope my PC running fine.

Today I was starting with a rustical clock, I'm very impressed about Krita, its a good 2D Companion for 3dCoat.  The Details are made with Krita and this I used in 3D Coat for a LiveClay-Pen.

post-6985-0-80548800-1382521261_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi,

(Meine Ratschläge sind nun im Prinzip überholt, da sich die Tools mittlerweile verbessert haben.

Mein Workflow ist nun, dass ich fast alles ausschließlich im Surface-Mode mache. Höchstens die Basis als Voxel.)

My tips are now a little bit outdated (1 year ago ;) ), but Surface Mode is usually still better for budget Workstations.

Edited by chingchong