3DCoat Forums

Ptex general description and questions

Andrew Shpagin

I'm starting to work with PTEX and was wondering if there is a way to import a model for ptex painting without 3dcoat subdividing it first? I have the model already setup in a low res format that I would like to keep.

If the model is all quads then it shouldn't subdivide, otherwise it will have to.

Sorry this has been bugging me, you know it's called 3D-Coat right? Some say 3DC even. But just calling it "coat" sounds weird to me. I'm done, please continue.

I know this post is old... But thought would chime in because it's a nit picky thing. :)

Andrew himself also calls it "Coat" at times. It's fine to call it whatever YOU want to call it, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi robotbob.

I have been playing with Ptex in houdini so I don't know how well I can help you in your situation.

What I understand you only need to use basic export model button to get the Ptex model out. Then export

all your Ptex textures out one by one. If this is your first time I would suggest to export one texture and get

it work, like color texture. When you get that to work let's then move on and consider the other questions as well.

It would be nice to have you as a friend of testing Ptex. I have that promlem right now that I'm getting nice color Ptex

but not disp ptex. I would love to hear the result of your test about this issue.

So, haikalle, did you manage getting rid of displacement artifacts with ptex, rendering with mantra?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, I found a bit of a bug. I am playing with ptex (I have a RMS license) using a simple cube exported from Maya, which was then heavily subdivided by the tool in 3DCoat.

When I try to change the resolution with the ptex tool, parts of the object disappear. Usually it is one face only, but the entire object can also disappear.

AZrqN.jpg

Wai8k.jpg

My guess is 3D-Coat / ptex doesn't play nicely with heavily subdivided sharp-cornered meshes like cubes.

Any help would be awesome. I have like 5 days remaining on the trial and would like to check out all the possibilities for my workflow before taking the plunge (I'm a student).

• Reputable Contributor

The first thing I would try is to download and install the latest build (3.5.24). I tend to delete the options.xml file in the 3D Coat directory, with the MY DOCUMENTS folder. Then install the new build and go from there.

If that doesn't help, you could send the file to support@3d-coat.com and Andrew is usually pretty fast in responding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi, I'm new in 3D Coat, my first, it only a test-object (vertex) - I did run Autotopology - and I painted it under ptex. But if I open the imported object in C4D, it looks only grey, without material/texture. And if I did open the saved texture maps, it looks damaged (pixelized) ... can somebody help me?

Or should I take C4D Aplink Extenxion?

Sorry for my poor English.

Below I did create a screenshots, maybe some can help me.

Thank you

post-6985-0-99997900-1316113802_thumb.jp

Hi, I'm new in 3D Coat, my first, it only a test-object (vertex) - I did run Autotopology - and I painted it under ptex. But if I open the imported object in C4D, it looks only grey, without material/texture. And if I did open the saved texture maps, it looks damaged (pixelized) ... can somebody help me?

It's not damaged, that's what ptex texture images look like. I can't explain how it's done since I don't use c4d but you'll need to apply a surface / material using the UV map that's on the model, then apply the texture image to it.

• Advanced Member

It's not damaged, that's what ptex texture images look like. I can't explain how it's done since I don't use c4d but you'll need to apply a surface / material using the UV map that's on the model, then apply the texture image to it.

thank you. I put the textures manualy in c4d and it works. But I have problems ther with the normal map, I have some ugly squares :/ in c4d ...

• 7 months later...
  • Advanced Member

One of the last Vray updates (Build 2.20.01 (4 December 2011)) for 3ds Max has the new VRayPTex map which provides support for PTex files. The problem is that .ptx format exported by 3D-Coat is not compatible with the .ptx that Vray is expecting. Is there a way to make a friendship between them?

• Advanced Member

thank you. I put the textures manualy in c4d and it works. But I have problems ther with the normal map, I have some ugly squares :/ in c4d ...

What I usually do in Cinema 4D concerning ptex + normal maps is I try to fit them in one normal map.. you can do that easily by using the Ptex local resolution tool (the one at the bottom of your toolbar).

You can press: fit in one texture and boom, should be fixed.. :)

Also try rendering with the physical renderer.. somehow the standart renderer does not remove the seams with its filtering technique..

One of the last Vray updates (Build 2.20.01 (4 December 2011)) for 3ds Max has the new VRayPTex map which provides support for PTex files. The problem is that .ptx format exported by 3D-Coat is not compatible with the .ptx that Vray is expecting. Is there a way to make a friendship between them?

That is weird .ptx should be just .ptx files, works like a charm in Houdini and Maya 2012.. can you make some screenshots?

Or could you please tell me more about this problem?

I'm kinda bummed out that the Ptex implementation doesn't appear to be all that flexible for using multiple UV maps. I want to render Ptex color, spec and bump with maya vray, but I already have displacement maps with another non-Ptex UV set. After importing my Ptex mesh, the old UV map name is still there when I import the displacement but it doesn't appear to work after the PTEX map is applied to the mesh. Any work arounds for this?

• Advanced Member

If you exported from 3D Coat a Ptex enabled mesh (.obj) and texture file (.ptx) they should work fine with 3ds Max 2012 SP1 and Vray 2.20.03 (the only versions I can speak for with 100% certainty). Unfortunately you cannot do any operations on the mesh once imported into Max because this will cause the vertex order to change, something Ptex relies heavily on (due to the fact each polygon gets it's own texture map, placement and orientation data is required). For example the turbosmooth and symmetry modifiers will both cause problems. Mental Ray for 3ds Max 2013 does now support Ptex, but Autodesk has not implemented a GUI for it, nor the code changes that will be required to prevent Max from constantly altering the vertex order. This means Ptex probably won't be useful until 3ds Max 2014 comes out next year... if we're lucky. Try out the test files from the official Ptex website if you want to check whether Vray is working properly or not. I know the bunny one does for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Ok, I have found where problem is. I tried to work with 3d-coat sample .obj files and here is a problem. And I have found right way.

Wrong way:

1. Open creature.obj sample file in 3d-coat for ptex painting.

2. Paint on model (Picture 1)

13dcoat.th.jpg

3. Export mesh and .ptex color texture. "Flip ptex quads" must be checked.

4. Import mesh from step 3 into 3ds max. Change render to Vray. Select new material. Apply diffuse map as VrayPtex map and apply material to the model.

5. Render. Result is wrong (Picture 2)

2maxwrong.th.jpg

Right way:

1. Import creature.obj 3d-coat sample file into 3ds max.

2. Export file to the new .obj file and then open it in 3d-coat for Ptex painting (or use AppLink to bring this model from 3ds max to 3d-coat for Ptex painting).

3. Paint in 3d-coat (Picture 3)

33dcoat2.th.jpg

4. Export .ptex color texture. "Flip ptex quads" must be checked.

5. We still have model open in 3ds max from step 1. Change render to Vray. Select new material. Apply diffuse map as VrayPtex map and apply material to the model.

6. Render. Result is good (Picture 4)

4maxgood.th.jpg

I use 3ds max 2012, Vray v.2.30.01, and 3d-coat v.3.7.11B.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know why 3d-Coat exported .PTX files do not work in Maya 2013 Viewport 2.0 rendering?. Of course Maya Viewport 2.0 WILL render the "tga" exported files that have ptex in the name example (ptex1_PtexPlane0_color.tga) BUT that is not true a true PTX file. When I export a PTX model from Mudbox and in Maya 2013s Render Viewport 2.0 mode it renders the .PTX file perfectly. These are actual .ptx files. However doing the same exact export from 3d Coat (and exporting the .PTX file in the texture export menu) renders transparent Wonder why actual .PTX files wont render in Maya Viewport 2.0 as the do from Mudbox? See attached pic. Thank you.

post-14679-0-40195300-1351631889_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

Does anyone know why 3d-Coat exported .PTX files do not work in Maya 2013 Viewport 2.0 rendering?. Of course Maya Viewport 2.0 WILL render the "tga" exported files that have ptex in the name example (ptex1_PtexPlane0_color.tga) BUT that is not true a true PTX file. When I export a PTX model from Mudbox and in Maya 2013s Render Viewport 2.0 mode it renders the .PTX file perfectly. These are actual .ptx files. However doing the same exact export from 3d Coat (and exporting the .PTX file in the texture export menu) renders transparent Wonder why actual .PTX files wont render in Maya Viewport 2.0 as the do from Mudbox? See attached pic. Thank you.

Someone else beat you to that question. Answer: Download the latest V4 Beta build, and see if it doesn't help.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&st=0

Hi AbnRanger, Kind of embarrassing but that other poster that discovered V4 Beta working with Ptex was me. I was at that time I posted that post not getting Ptex to working so I loaded the V4 Beta and it worked in Maya 2013 RENDER VIEWPORT 2.0. I was all excited. But I just recently I discovered I was successfully rendering the tga files such as this (ptex1_PtexPlane0_color.tga) "NOT" the actual .PTEX file (like I do with Mudbox .PTEX files in Maya Viewport 2.0). So I notice that .ptex from 3d Coat renders as a transparent object (see image in my original post above). So now Iam back to trying to figure out how to get a true .ptx file to render in Maya 2013 Viewport 2.0. And as I mention I do it all the time with the actual .PTEX files I export from Mudbox so I dont think it has anything to do with how Iam setting up Mayas Viewport 2.0 renderer. I have tried every conceivable setting in Maya but with no luck.

Someone else beat you to that question. Answer: Download the latest V4 Beta build, and see if it doesn't help.

http://3d-coat.com/f...opic=10395&st=0

Just thought I would check back and see if there might be an answer to my above question. How to get actual .ptex files from 3d Coat to render in Maya 2013 Viewport Render 2.0. As I previously mentioned rendering .ptex in Mayas Viewport 2.0 works fine from Mudbox just cant get it to work from 3d Coat. The other files render ok ex: (mymodel_PtexPlane0_color.tga), etc. But Iam needing to render the actual .ptex file. Model comes out transparent when I try to render .ptex.

• Contributor

Just thought I would check back and see if there might be an answer to my above question. How to get actual .ptex files from 3d Coat to render in Maya 2013 Viewport Render 2.0. As I previously mentioned rendering .ptex in Mayas Viewport 2.0 works fine from Mudbox just cant get it to work from 3d Coat. The other files render ok ex: (mymodel_PtexPlane0_color.tga), etc. But Iam needing to render the actual .ptex file. Model comes out transparent when I try to render .ptex.

Hello again!

Rendering the TGA files in Maya Viewport 2.0 is not enough? What additional benefit does the actual .ptx file provide?

Also can you please describe how you are rendering the .ptx files from Mudbox in Maya Viewport 2.0? I tried to export a .ptx file from Mudbox and render in Maya Viewport 2.0 and it came out completely black. I got the same result from the 3D-Coat .ptx file. If you can explain how to set up the Mudbox .ptx file to render in Maya Viewport 2.0, then maybe I can troubleshoot the render for the 3D-Coat .ptx file.

Am I correct in understanding that the .ptx file is not only texture information but also includes the mesh as well? If that is the case, then the usual "place 2D texture" nodes in Maya will not work with this?

Hello TimmyZDesign. Thank you so much for your interest and help. I feel lost as nobody is using .ptex it seems. Reason I need to use the actual .ptex files is because I will be help testing a new game engine the WILL ONLY USE "color vertices" or ".ptex". And .ptex will provide much better results. Here is my workflow for Mudbox .ptex to Maya 2013 Render Viewport 2.0. Its beyond easy and works beautifully....

1. In mudbox create and load a basic Mesh like the head. Go to MESH/ptex setup and turn on ptex texturing. Color, sculpt and texture your mesh a bit.

2. In mudbox go to WINDOWS/PREFERENCES/FILES and turn on SAVE PTEX TEXTURES WITH .MUD FILES. This means that whenever you save your .mud file it will export the .ptex file with the .mud file its a separate file from the .mud file in the same directory. There are other ways to export the .ptex file but this .ptex file works beautifully with Maya Viewport 2.0.

3. Now all you got to do is create the normal .ptex map. Go to maps/extract texture maps/normal map. Set up your target and Source Models. Level 0 rez is the lowest level and Level 5 or whatever is your highest Rez Level. NORMAL MAP OUTPUT OBJECT SPACE. OUTPUT OPTIONS .PTEX. Name the file and directory and extract that NORMAL MAP .ptex file.

4. Lower your model to lowest rez, then in the object list select your model EX basichead. THEN GO TO FILE/EXPORT/SELECTION and export that as an FBX. ALSO, SAVE YOUR .MUD PROJECT so that it will export that .ptex file for you. Remember the normal map .ptex you created in maps/extract texture maps is different than the one that is exported via save .mud file.

4. In Maya turn on Render 2.0 Viewport. Import the .fbx model. It will come in already having the .ptex texture applied and colors and textures WILL BE SHOWING. But not normal map yet. Only thing you need to do is select the model and and in texture BUMP MAP channel add that NORMAL MAP .ptex file. AND TURN ON object space normals (where it says bump value and bump depth)

5. Finally in order for Maya Viewport 2.0 to show your textures at high rez you go to DISPLAY RENDER SETTINGS/MAYA RENDER 2.0/BAKE RESOLUTION FOR UNSUPPORTED TEXTURES/ turn color and bump up to 2048 or whatever to sharpen your textures. THEN CLICK REBAKE ALL TEXTURES. Please note if you change anything always go back and click REBAKE all TEXTURES. If you see black model then maybe thats all thats needed. Need to REBAKE to see textures at high resolution and to show the normal map. If you have trouble seeing anything go back and REBAKE ALL TEXTURES.

Thats it. Now if I could get that to work FROM 3d-coat I would be a happy happy camper!

p.s. the .ptex file just contains the color and texture info not the mesh info from what I assume.

Hello again!

Rendering the TGA files in Maya Viewport 2.0 is not enough? What additional benefit does the actual .ptx file provide?

Also can you please describe how you are rendering the .ptx files from Mudbox in Maya Viewport 2.0? I tried to export a .ptx file from Mudbox and render in Maya Viewport 2.0 and it came out completely black. I got the same result from the 3D-Coat .ptx file. If you can explain how to set up the Mudbox .ptx file to render in Maya Viewport 2.0, then maybe I can troubleshoot the render for the 3D-Coat .ptx file.

Am I correct in understanding that the .ptx file is not only texture information but also includes the mesh as well? If that is the case, then the usual "place 2D texture" nodes in Maya will not work with this?

• Contributor

Sorry fneill, I am currently trying to complete a bunch of work for a Tuesday deadline. After Tuesday I will thoroughly test out this ptex thing...I just wanted to give you a heads up...

In any case I am definitely interested in adding more ptex to my workflows!

TimmyZDesign, Thanks so much for getting back with me! No hurry at all. Iam just happy someone is taking an interest in this (rendering PTex .ptx files in Maya Viewport 2.0).

BY THE WAY ... since you are a Maya user I just put up a tutorial on how to go from 3d Coat to Maya and within couple minutes have a fully rigged humanik character ready to animate or whatever! That tutorial is here ... (we are talking about sculpting to animatable rigged character in couple minutes!)

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10659

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MUDBOX PTEX TO MAYA RENDER VIEWPORT 2.0

1. In mudbox create and load a basic Mesh like the head. Go to MESH/ptex setup and turn on ptex texturing. Color, sculpt and texture your mesh a bit.

2. In mudbox go to WINDOWS/PREFERENCES/FILES and turn on SAVE PTEX TEXTURES WITH .MUD FILES. This means that whenever you save your .mud file it will export the .ptex file with the .mud file its a separate file from the .mud file in the same directory. There are other ways to export the .ptex file but this .ptex file works beautifully with Maya Viewport 2.0.

3. Now all you got to do is create the normal .ptex map. Go to maps/extract texture maps/normal map. Set up your target and Source Models. Level 0 rez is the lowest level and Level 5 or whatever is your highest Rez Level. NORMAL MAP OUTPUT OBJECT SPACE. OUTPUT OPTIONS .PTEX. Name the file and directory and extract that NORMAL MAP .ptex file.

4. Lower your model to lowest rez, then in the object list select your model EX basichead. THEN GO TO FILE/EXPORT/SELECTION and export that as an FBX. ALSO, SAVE YOUR .MUD PROJECT so that it will export that .ptex file for you. Remember the normal map .ptex you created in maps/extract texture maps is different than the one that is exported via save .mud file.

4. In Maya turn on Render 2.0 Viewport. Import the .fbx model. It will come in already having the .ptex texture applied and colors and textures WILL BE SHOWING. But not normal map yet. Only thing you need to do is select the model and and in texture BUMP MAP channel add that NORMAL MAP .ptex file. AND TURN ON object space normals (where it says bump value and bump depth)

5. Finally in order for Maya Viewport 2.0 to show your textures at high rez you go to DISPLAY RENDER SETTINGS/MAYA RENDER 2.0/BAKE RESOLUTION FOR UNSUPPORTED TEXTURES/ turn color and bump up to 2048 or whatever to sharpen your textures. THEN CLICK REBAKE ALL TEXTURES. Please note if you change anything always go back and click REBAKE all TEXTURES. If you see black model then maybe thats all thats needed. Need to REBAKE to see textures at high resolution and to show the normal map. If you have trouble seeing anything go back and REBAKE ALL TEXTURES.

Thats it. Now if I could get that to work FROM 3d-coat I would be a happy happy camper!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry fneill, I am currently trying to complete a bunch of work for a Tuesday deadline. After Tuesday I will thoroughly test out this ptex thing...I just wanted to give you a heads up...

In any case I am definitely interested in adding more ptex to my workflows!

• Contributor

Wow, it has been a rough week. I thought things would chill out after Tuesday, but only got more busy.

So, just now I finally downloaded and installed both Maya 2013 and Mudbox 2013. Also installed the Service Packs for Mudbox, and getting ready to install the Service Packs for Maya. Now at least I am using the same versions that you are. Next step will be to start testing out the Ptex workflows!

Also, big thanks for the tutorial! I'll be trying that out as well!