3DCoat Forums

pTex + Modo VRay question

wilson66

• Advanced Member

I'm beta testing the new VRay for Modo at the moment, and am trying to create a simple pTex texture in 3DCoat and render it using VRay in Modo.

Its not really working though, since I am not sure about the workflow, haven't used the pTex features in 3DCoat yet.

I created a simple sphere in Modo and exported in using OBJ format. Imported it into 3DCoat using the 'Paint w/ PTEX' button in the startup window. Painted a couple of strokes onto the sphere.

Then I exported a PTEX file using Textures -> Export -> Color to PTEX.

I then imported the new OBJ into Modo, assigned a new material and a V-Ray PTEX material, assigned the new PTEX file I exported.

Unfortunately, VRAY does not render the texture. The sphere just looks white.

Can anyone give me a hint how to properly work with 3DCoat and PTEX?

• Advanced Member

When you have textured your model, I would use, Export/Export Model,which will also save your colour texture.

Thats right, but it saves the texture as an image file. I would like to export a PTEX file and use that directly.

It would probably not make any difference visually, but I'm beta-testing VRAY for Modo, and would like to know if importing a PTEX file directly actually works.

Edited by wilson66

• Advanced Member

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick.  I just did a quick test.

Texture/Export/Colour to Ptex. It saves correctly as a Ptex file.

Are you using the latest version of 3DC?

Yes, I use the lastest version (4.1.13).

It saves out a PTEX file, yes. The problem is that VRAY does not render the PTEX texture although it is assigned to the object in Modo.

This does not have to be an issue with 3DCoat, it might well be an issue with VRAY in Modo not loading the file correctly. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Do you have access to a rendering application that is capable of rendering PTEX files? Can you test if PTEX files exported from 3DCoat render correctly?

Edited by wilson66

• Applink Developer

Hi!

I did quick test and it seams to be working. In my tests I had to turn on "Textures -> Export -> Flip ptex quads" in 3D-Coat. Hope this helps. 

I see that you vladimir has given very detailed answer in chaosgroup forum. I have to say that their support is the best in the world. You asked the question

and they even take time to test your workflow(3d-coat & modo & vray) and help you step by step. Can you ask more :)

For me Modo & V-ray combo is dream come true.

Edited by haikalle

I see that you vladimir has given very detailed answer in chaosgroup forum. I have to say that their support is the best in the world. You asked the question

and they even take time to test your workflow(3d-coat & modo & vray) and help you step by step.

User need to register to watch chaosgroup forum

will you please post the quote here ?

will be very useful to learn about, i think

Ty !

• Applink Developer

So I tried this workflow and was able to make it work with a few caveats.

First you need to select "Export low-poly mesh" when exporting the obj file in 3D-Coat. It seems this is the mesh resolution at which the ptex texture is painted.

Then you need to check "Reverse vertex order" in the V-Ray Ptex texture in modo. Maybe it's possible to reverse the vertex order when exporting

the mesh/texture from 3d coat but I didn't find a way to do that.

Then you have a few more limitations that are not 3D-Coat specific. You can't use modo's subdivision on the imported mesh. This is because

the modo API doesn't provide the original quads from which a subdivided triangle originated.

If you want to enable subdivision on the mesh, use the V-Ray geometry properties.

The reverse vertex order option in the V-Ray Ptex texture doesn't work with the OpenSubd subdivision method though, we will have to fix this eventually.

But you can use V-Ray's dynamic subdivision.

Actually you can flip the vertices in 3D-Coat from Textures -> Export -> Flip ptex quads. With this checked, the exported ptex file will be correct and you

won't have to check "Reverse vertex order" in the V-Ray Ptex interface. And you will be able to use OpenSubdiv from the V-Ray geometry properties.

Greetings,

Vladimir Nedev

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 2