3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

thanks Andrew

waitting mac build!

@Psith:i like your icons a lot,lots of work of course

in general,diferent perspectives should melt for the best

but then its been in the hands of a small group of decision and not users like me

and looks fair that i just coment after its done

anyhow it looks simple in other programs to change default icons for custom ones (ive done it in mac)

my big point here is:

first study the diagram,the workflow,the architacture and stream and perfect it

then agree on the simbols,colors ,readabillity

FORM /SUBSTANCE

make it simple

thanks

Private discussions are usually regarded as such. Any discussions, images associated with those discussions, etc. from the private forum were explicitly asked to be kept private. That's for everyone involved in the private forum.

Further, let's keep this professional.

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

"Important fix: brushing quality improved - more correct handling of backfaces"

Thanks Andrew, so far in my testing this has solved the negative pulling effect on the surface mesh (backfaces) when using LC brushes plus the quality of the strokes have improved as well.

I will do deeper testing but everything seems to be working correctly now... :good:

The small tears fix with surface mode brushes (remove stretching enabled) and now this fix makes LiveClay and regular Surface Mode brushes really a pleasure to use.

• Advanced Member

I am hoping that the new space bar pop-up menu will also have the option of disabling all the icons and allowing one to revert to the original sized text only buttons. While it was nice to be able to disable the icons on the left menu and essentially keep it the same as it was, I was a bit disappointed to see this doesn't carry over to the space bar menu. This is my primary method of accessing brushes in 3dcoat - in fact I turn off the left menu since it is redundant and eats up space. Now it looks like I'll be using that again and ignoring the space bar until this is resolved. Sorry to all who put hard work into the icons, I'm just not a fan of this new direction and would like to be able to revert back to what worked just fine previously, as quickly as possible. If this is already possible, that's great! I just couldn't find the option to make it so. I think I'd much rather have an option to build my own custom popups and populate them with tools I actually use, and have them look the way I like (as simple as possible). This is how I use modo as well - pretty much entirely custom keybinds and pie menus - no icons.

• Advanced Member

Also, what's with the private forum? Are we at the point now where a chosen few are directing where 3dcoat is heading? That's a bit disconcerting and disappointing - especially if it affected the direction of this new GUI. An entire community of people helped bring 3dcoat to where it is today, not a select few.

• Advanced Member

I'm having problems using the low poly proxy mode in voxel room. I click it and it jumps to the proxy and then right back to voxels almost instantly, and when I finally get it to go into the proxy mode I then can't get it back to voxels. Am I doing something wrong or is it a new bug?

Hi,

It's more or a less a testing ground for builds so that they are a little more flushed out before hitting the public. With regards to the new UI, yes, we did have a select few people give ideas to Andrew, but don't think that those select few "control" everything. Andrew decides, as always, what he likes and wants to use.

EDIT: And precisely what Beat said above.

• Contributor

@ JedWards I do get where your coming from its an option that needs to be added. But please Read the whole thread its been requested. Also is the change really that profound. I don't think its changed direction at all. it just has a bit more consistent dressing. Im not justifying anything here i just want constructive feedback. [Edit] sorry Andrew needs constructive feedback.

• Reputable Contributor

The blender at a angle type icons I give my vote for as they are easy to read in an icon fashion.

The grayscale color could be replaced with another one, Maybe a desaturated red tone or brown tan tone. Not too dark of course.

The reason for this is that grayscale is more prone to getting blown out depending upon your monitor's brightness settings... The whites in the icon can over power the small icon and you lose definition.

On a side note, as Michalis mentioned, you can now render 3DCoat's vertex colors (polypainting) in Blender's Cycles.

For your vertex colors (painting) to show up:

Export as a ply not a obj and add the attribute node connecting it to the diffuse BSDF shader.

Under the object's data panel / vertex colors/ name/Col. Copy Col and paste or type that name into the attribute node's name box. That's it...

Thanks Michalis for sharing with us all this information...

• Reputable Contributor

I can read this icon much better in the left panel and the larger icon that pops up is really easy to read. The grayscale with the darker gray and dull gloss works better and will work better across many monitor brightness settings. I would still consider testing using a icon with color with dull gloss also and get some feedback on it. Maybe the grayscale next to a couple colored ones and see what one users like the most... All in all LJB looking much more readable... :good:

Looks Interesting, not to heavy changes but welcome ones in terms of the Interfacelook.

Are this only possible suggestions or will they flow into the new ui design?

I like the icons and the popup. :)

regards

Markus

Just figured out how to switch between the different icon sizes. I actually like the 3 column layout a lot. Reasonable use of screen space and tool tips remind me what is what if something isn't clear. Very polished feel overall.

Icon test looks good!

I just noticed something odd. In the new Spacebar popup you can drag icons to the Quick Access area which is great. But oddly if you wiggle the Quick Access icon with your mouse they disappear. I keep doing this by accident with my stylus and have to keep re-adding them.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/swfsBJGSzU

Also I agree, it would be nice if resizing the side bar icons would also resize them in the popup.

Because if the drag & drop doesn't get to a new location it simply takes that for a "remove from panel". You can have the same effect when d&dping outside the quick access panel (just move your element to overlap a little bit the access panel title you'll see). And I'm sure you've experienced this issue if you use java softwares, I often have to use my mouse as java doesn't detect the tablet clicks because of the microshakes. It happens to me all the time, java doesn't like tablets much ^^.

BTW Andrew, is there an ETA on removeclay brush finalization ? I really like this brush but it gives unexpected results with symmetry and the way it works (random chunk removal)

I have no ETA, but I really want to make it clean, so if you have way to reproduce problems - drop me mail.

• Contributor

The issue is showing with a simple sphere and symmetry. It's not working with symmetry. And if you look how it works, it inputs many time per sec, creating an "hammering" effect. Deactivating grow on motion doesn't help there.

I remember when Andrew talked about implementing what he called then "hypersmooth" feature

and from what I understand RemoveClay brush is somehow the extension of that idea.

Beat,my question is:do we really need this?

Personnaly when i want to crush topology on dense meshes I use Reduce brush along with Smooth brush ,it works fantastic.

It really feels like melting the clay back to soft state.There are maybe pitfalls to this method but I don't see/experience any.

On another topic:

Andrew,do you think you could replace volume degradation in multires by some sort of fast surface decimation algorythm instead.

Reason for this is that volume degradation completly destroy thin areas and makes multires unusable for clothes,fingers.ears ect...

Of course degrading is faster than decimation but I thought maybe you could come up with a new kind of fast decimation to replace it.

(I don't think a lot of users are currently using multires and its a shame because weight projection is very very good)

• Contributor

we could probably use it to crunch matter back to a soft plane, with curved hardsurface it's a very handy tool: all the little bumps due to poles in the wire are melted away.

For this i use Reduce along with Tangentsmooth set to 100%. It works great.Tangentsmooth is a really powerful tool.(thanx to Raul)

I will probaly experiment more with RemoveClay in next iterations of the tool to see the difference. :)

• Advanced Member

On another topic:

Andrew,do you think you could replace volume degradation in multires by some sort of fast surface decimation algorythm instead.

Reason for this is that volume degradation completly destroy thin areas and makes multires unusable for clothes,fingers.ears ect...

Of course degrading is faster than decimation but I thought maybe you could come up with a new kind of fast decimation to replace it.

(I don't think a lot of users are currently using multires and its a shame because weight projection is very very good)

+1

For some reason I can't get the multires to work for me. I click to downgrade a (voxel or surface) layer, and it just flashes to the downgraded version then back to the full res.

Maybe I just need to do a fresh install.

Edit:

I'm using 3.7.12E(CUDA)(DX64)

• Reputable Contributor

+1

For some reason I can't get the multires to work for me. I click to downgrade a (voxel or surface) layer, and it just flashes to the downgraded version then back to the full res.

Confirmed on version 3.7.12E win 32 bit non cuda....

• Contributor

My favorite thing about the new interface is the ability to scroll through the tools in the tool panel on the left. You simply click anywhere on the tool panel, flick it upwards, and it scrolls through the tools! This is a lot like scrolling through panels in Zbrush, and somewhat similar to scrolling through menus on an iPhone.

I like this because I never use keyboard shortcuts. I don't use keyboard shortcuts because I use a Cintiq (I have set all of the buttons on my Cintiq to operate like the keyboard shortcuts). The ability to scroll through the tools and select them from the tool panel is very fast and easy to use for me. Big thanks to Andrew for making this possible!

Also, I was still hoping that someday we will be able to drag panels outside of the main 3D-Coat window and put them on another display (I use two displays and being able to do this would be very useful). I currently use Photoshop this way. I keep only my canvas on the Cintiq and put most of my panels (layers, settings, etc.) on my second display. This way I have an uncluttered area for painting. Maybe the UI in 3D-Coat could be made to do this as well?

In any case, I really like this new interface! Thanks again!

+1

Edit:

I'm using 3.7.12E(CUDA)(DX64)

I hope you post such issues into mantis too. :) Thank you.